Headin' North

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
    Nice pics Neil, but how are you managing to post large pictures?
    Gene,

Hello and thanks.

Same way as always - set the photos in Flickr, copy the link and paste in the reply text. That automatically inserts the relevant URL and /URL definers.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Thanks Neil, I don't have, nor want, any of those "cloud" photo hosts.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
        Thanks Neil, I don't have, nor want, any of those "cloud" photo hosts.
        Gene,

That’s fine.

I really don’t care much what happens to the photos once they’re lodged. One problem that did occur with photobucket when I was using it was when it changed hands and they demanded paid subscriptions to keep the links. On principle I refused and had several years of threads and posts on a couple of sites effectively vandalised.

Flickr is ok for now but could go the same way at the drop of a hat.

I’m not a big fan of thumbnails - not least they don’t work on my iPhone.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Hello again from Brisbane.

It’s been a while since anything was posted on this thread. But it’s not necessarily the case that travel north has concluded.

A month or so back - and despite the enduring Covid doom and gloom - the missus and I lodged the final payments for a boutique cruise along the Kimberley coast in Western Australia from Broome to Darwin. This is classic bucket list stuff - but is one of the few great wilderness odysseys still on offer on this continent. Amazing place.

Anyway, it’s a tense countdown to mid August when the jolly is due to start - the various States lock their borders with little more than a single sneeze these days. So, fingers crossed we’ll get to Broome and anchors away.

Should be good. Put in on your own bucket lists.

Cheers,

Neil.
          Last edited by S3ute; 07-30-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Hello again.

This States’ tourism promotion uses the slogan - “Queensland. Beautiful one day. Perfect the next”.

Regrettably, and thanks to the morons who run the place and their medico puppets, it may as well be “Beautiful one day. Locked down the next”….

The State had already locked its borders to travel in and out - joining three others - and today totally locked down eleven local government areas that make up the Greater Brisbane Region and the Gold and Sunshine Coasts. Why? Some seventeen year old kid tested positive to Covid and several million people are told to stay at home. In fact, three quarters of the Nation’s population are presently in some form of lock down or other.

The initial city wide lock down is for three days. But this means the State border closures will likely last at least two weeks which means kissing goodbye to the Kimberley trip that I mentioned in the previous post.

So, I’m a little bit grumpy this morning… More time to work on the truck.

Cheers,

Neil
            Last edited by S3ute; 07-31-2021, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Hello again from Brisbane.

Well, the lockdown has been extended for the week and likely to go into the next, if not several - another quarantine snafu courtesy of a fairly inept State government compounded by a successful hatchet job by the media on the national vaccine roll out. You’d think some things of national interest might rise beyond politics, but here’s a prime case where they haven’t.

Notable casualty of the ongoing border closures has been the Kimberley trip next week - rescheduled to next June. Seems a long way away, but that’s a first world problem.

That’s this morning’s therapeutic moan out of the way and back to work on the truck. Nice sunny day hereabouts which makes it pleasant working under the deck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	B1FD7909-90A3-4CAF-924A-94DA17D71FCA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.9 KB ID:	194673

Cheers,

Neil
              Last edited by S3ute; 08-04-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Clearly you are a glass half full type.
                Common sense is no longer common.

Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
                  Clearly you are a glass half full type.
                  Try to be…..

Probably more of the “WTF - I ordered a cheeseburger!” type.

Cheers,

Neil
                  Last edited by S3ute; 08-04-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hello again.

Well, the good news and the bad news.

Good - the local health muppets have lifted the lockdown on the eleven municipalities that make up the Greater Brisbane region. Yay!

Bad - the Western Australian government has maintained its border closure to the other States despite lifting the restrictions here.

So, no further prospects for getting on a boat in Broome - one of the most isolated places in that State next week.

Here’s the classic - Cairns here in Queensland whose economy is almost entirely dependent on tourism has been locked down because one case of Covid was detected there. That’s not a typo - one case.

South Australia locked its borders for four cases.

That’s the price you pay for an eradication versus containment policy on a highly infectious virus - akin to holding the tigers’ tail. The State premiers refuse to acknowledge that eventually you have to let go of it. Unfortunately, they’ve simultaneously screwed up the National vaccination program.

Free to go off and pick up some more bolts.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

I’m pretty sure we’ve taken the opposite tack here in the US; Many areas are fully engaged in a program designed to eradicate that segment of the population who track in the sub-50th percentile on the intelligence spectrum. Charles Darwin is smiling down upon us!

—Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

When you’re dead, you do not know you are dead. It’s only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you’re stupid.
                      —Philippe Geluck

Comment

Hello again.

I’m far from advocating open slather as a sensible policy with Covid. But from the get go there has been a contradictory set of objectives at play between the National and State governments. Originally, they closed the National borders and commenced a containment plan that was meant to hold back the cases until the National inventory of ICU beds could cope with the expected demand based on some moderately unrealistic modelling - largely that a dumbfounded population would do nothing to prevent the spread. This included social distancing and washing your hands - fairly basic stuff.

Unfortunately, this was quite successful - so, a bunch of State Premiers decided to go for total elimination and the present stratagem of intermittent lock downs began. Under our Constitution the States control their borders whereas the Federal Government has an obligation to pick up the tab for the economic damage over which it has virtually no control. Problem is that the Feds are responsible for the National vaccine rollout but it is administered by the States who also decided to can the Astra Zeneca vaccine that the Feds invested heavily in in favour of Pfizer which is little more effective but costs about ten times more per dose. This has helped blow the cost out of the water plus held up the vaccination roll out which exposes a significant proportion of the population to further spread.

Hence one cough and your borders close again - plus the finger pointing starts a new round.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Three more sleeps before heading up to Darwin for a week in the Top End - all contingent on the State borders still being open by Wednesday.

Looking forward to it although the early wet season has started and the humidity has crept up the scale a few notches. There’s a joint defence exercise going on at the present time which has kept the air recovery teams busy pulling troops out suffering extreme dehydration and heat exhaustion - so, no plans to conquer the great outdoors in any serious way.

A few sessions at the Humpty Doo pub will suffice for outback experiences this time around.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Working...
                          X