Empty nester syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Empty nester syndrome

So tomorrow we're moving my youngest in to to his dorm in Potsdam NY (he suggested we drive the rover, 6 hr trip with a normal car). My wife and I will be semi-empty nester's for the first time in 22 years. Wow has time gone by quick.
    My thoughts turn to all the things my we did pre kids including the rover stuff. I have fanciful notions of all these events to get to, drive all over the place, doing stupid crap with it, etc.

Then, I come back to earth....I'm 50, my body doesn't recover from the series beating like it used to, I have a real job, an older dog to take care of, house projects galore. The 88 is now 55 years young, has some monetary value and I don't want to spend more time washing the mud out of everywhere and fixing un-necessarily broken stuff than I do driving and enjoying it.

Sucks to be mature....

Ha! I'm taking #3 (of 4) to Houghton NY on Tuesday. Only my 14 year old left after that.

I hope you can at least get to All Metal Dash??
    1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Mine are both out of the house. I'm hoping i find time to put the 88 back together...
      Then, those rotten kids will probably move back home and mess everything up.

Comment

Ha! I'm 70 and been an MT nester for 15+years. I get the not wanting to do the work and getting old syndrome, just don't do something stupid like selling something you have enjoyed for so many years. Heard too many of those regret stories.
        gene
        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Ha! I get it Jason, my youngest is about to move out to her first apartment in 3 weeks! You have to wonder where the years go.
          Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
          Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
          Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
          Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
            Ha! I'm 70 and been an MT nester for 15+years. I get the not wanting to do the work and getting old syndrome, just don't do something stupid like selling something you have enjoyed for so many years. Heard too many of those regret stories.
            No plans on selling it. I still dream of driving it all over the country but don't have that kind of time yet.

Comment

Originally posted by I Leak Oil View Post
              My thoughts turn to all the things my we did pre kids including the rover stuff. I have fanciful notions of all these events to get to, drive all over the place, doing stupid crap with it, etc.

Having been there, I caution you not to envision having lots of extra time and money now that your nest is pretty empty (well, you won't have more money with "kids" in college, but more time anyway...). There is an unexplained force in the universe that mysteriously causes these two things to evaporate at almost the exact same rate at which one acquires them.
              —Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

When you’re dead, you do not know you are dead. It’s only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you’re stupid.
              —Philippe Geluck

Comment

I have experienced that myself Mark. More time I have on my hands, more I spend or less I make....Weird.
                I can only hope my that time slows down because my rover is so slow.

Comment

My youngest left for college in 2006. That was a hard time for me as we did so much together from Scouts to competitive shooting. I was kind of lost for a while. His leaving put both kids in school at the same time. Talk about a giant sucking sound as far a money leaving the bank account. The year Jamie left was the year I got my current Rover. Add another giant sucking sound from the bank account. I retired 3 years ago from my 41 year forestry career with thoughts of lots of Rover stuff. I found that driving long distances at 55 mph has become less than fun. My trip to AMD has become a two day affair as doing it in one day doesn't do wonders for my back. Never did go into the woods at Winter Romp as being outside in cold weather and snow lost its appeal years ago as I did that during the week. Would love to get together for a more beer more bacon trip. I met most of my closest Rover friends as a result of those. I do think of selling but really can't imagine being roverless but at almost 67 I know that day will come. For the time being I am content to put most of my miles on my Rover close to home. FWIW unfortunately it doesn't seem like time slows down. If anything it seems to go by faster.
                  Jim
                  64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

You could scrap your rig and use the money to finance some of those projects....

Comment

First one in school on Friday. Brutal. But I woke up at 5am on Saturday and started cleaning/organizing. Everything I owned worked well and was clean before the kids, then they came and everything went to shit.

We could do another More Beer More Bacon even this year Jim!

Anyone interested? I can plan it.

Comment

Man I know where you're at!

When I finally got my last one out of LSU a few years back I realized our house was too big, took to much to maintain, and I no longer needed the physical and mental strain of trying to hold it all together. So I designed a house to meet my and my wife's needs. I wanted as near zero maintenance as possible, only one large bedroom, easy to clean, cheap to heat and cool, absolutely secure and defensible and everything needed to allow us to grow old and die there. Then I built it.

We just moved in last year and had to downsize quite a bit, but we upgraded in quality and design.Iit was the best decision we ever made. I'm in a commercial district with a BBQ place four doors down, a bar that makes great burgers on the next block, and a coffeeshop across the street. I don't go there for the coffee but I do sit on my balcony and watch the girls that do. My wife uses the hair salon across the street. I walk to work.

When I bought the lot ten years ago I also bought the building next door. It is the photography studio and ordnance depot. I just bought a large building on the other side. I'm working with a firm out of Birmingham to bring in an upscale bodega so I can just go next door to grocery shop.

The kids live out of state so it's Christmas in New York or Colorado, and visits to Scotts Valley Calif to get away for a while.

I'm only 9 years ahead of you. But you're a free agent again. You're liberated. Free! Take stock in what you want and where you're at in life. Make your plan, Then execute it and never ever look back.

Yeah, I'll say it, driving a 88 inch Series Rover was brutal but fun at 38 to 40 years old. Nowadays I think I'd simply find it to be brutal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayou Rovers View Post

The kids live out of state so it's Christmas in New York or Colorado, and visits to Scotts Valley Calif to get away for a while.

Yeah, I'll say it, driving a 88 inch Series Rover was brutal but fun at 38 to 40 years old. Nowadays I think I'd simply find it to be brutal.
                          Scotts Valley? They are putting a Target in where Kmart used to be. The football team just blew their 14 year undefeated streak against Santa Cruz high with a 35-6 loss.

Brutal? Bad back? Wrong springs? Lot of people are going to parabolics for a softer ride.
                          gene
                          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post

Brutal? Bad back? Wrong springs? Lot of people are going to parabolics for a softer ride.
                            Well......... Both of mine have Wise Owl parabolics, and that helped a good deal with the ride. Problem is, I was always a bit tall for the Rovers, and either I had to deal with the Louisiana heat plus engine heat. Same reason I couldn't drive my wife's Alfa Spyder. I just didn't fit.

Comment

Working...
                            X