Home chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home chrome?

Does anyone do any home or work chroming? If so can you do a couple small bits for me?
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Gene, you aren't contemplating chroming the previously galvanized bits are you?

Mark
    1960 Series II SWB Station Wagon

Comment

Nope, I have a couple of old 12v fans that came with my 109. I am refurbishing them and the pedestals were chromed. I just ordered some rubber fan blades for them. You can see it in the pic it is painted with red lead....The blades are hard to find a replacement, 1 place in Chicago, even then they are not an exact copy. But if I tell it all now I won't have a story for my blog! ;^) Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9073.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	196686

gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Mark
        Oooohhh....Shiney!

Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
        Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
        Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
        Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Mark
          Those just get painted over, right?
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Exactly! It's just a matter of silver, black or body color!
            1960 Series II SWB Station Wagon

Comment

The reason why re-chroming is so expensive - and there are so few places that do it these days, adding to that expense - is that it is a multi-step process with a bunch of truly nasty chemicals. Years ago, I researched getting some boat parts (cleats, porthole frames, etc) re-chromed, but the cost was prohibitive. Re-silvering was far cheaper, but sea water and silver don't mix real well....
              “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

Have you given nickle plating any thought ? It has a similar look, and is generally less expensive, would look really sharp on those fans too.
                Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
                Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
                Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
                Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bioheat View Post
                  Have you given nickle plating any thought ? It has a similar look, and is generally less expensive, would look really sharp on those fans too.
                  I was just thinking of that today, use my trickle charger and a nickel from my Uncle Sam in some vinegar. I think I remember hearing that works.
                  gene
                  1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Black wrinkle finish would look nice.

Comment

I did watch a few videos on plating metal at home on ytube a while back. Might be something to consider.

I did the rust removal via electrolysis, which is the same principle, just reverse polarity.
                      Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Geoffrey Coker's Youtube videos are excellent. He has on one home plating, including nickel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-PtnwtOR24
                        ---------------------------------------------------
                        '73 S3 88"
                        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

This thread - backed by Croker’s excellent clip - has got me motivated to have a go at electroplating a few of the parts on the Villiers engine that is the subject of another thread over in Current Projects. It looks simple enough and worth giving a shot.

I’m just waiting to pick up some zinc strips and find an older calculator power plug to set it up.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by S3ute View Post
                            I'm just waiting to pick up some zinc strips and find an older calculator power plug to set it up.
                            How about one (or more) 60 penny, hot-dipped timber spikes? Cheap and readily available....

“… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

I'm now fantasizing about a nickel plated engine block.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              '73 S3 88"
                              '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Working...
                              X