Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme four wheeling

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

A 75,000 pound off road vehicle to drive across Antarctica. What could go wrong? The amazing part is that they drove this beast from the factory in Chicago to the boat in Boston....

“… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

very cool.
    "Really not brag'n...just brag'n...I've done 3000 brag'n miles in 11 brag'n days in a brag'n series and never once stopped brag'n. Absolutely the best brag'n I've ever done"

Comment

Kinda sad.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

the fail was including the government
        "Really not brag'n...just brag'n...I've done 3000 brag'n miles in 11 brag'n days in a brag'n series and never once stopped brag'n. Absolutely the best brag'n I've ever done"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	c186bf4ed1f5e75b4df0c369e2bc74fc-e1534210775543.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	202115
          Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

Each wheel had a 75 hp motor which meant 8 hp per ton. No wonder the thing could hardly function as a vehicle designed to move.

Colin
            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Testing in sand for an icy deployment? What could go wrong?
              ---------------------------------------------------
              '73 S3 88"
              '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
                Each wheel had a 75 hp motor which meant 8 hp per ton. No wonder the thing could hardly function as a vehicle designed to move.
                Yeah, the bloody thing didn't have the power to get out of its own way, but the four wheel steering made it surprisingly maneuverable - on flat, hard ground - with interesting 'crabbing' maneuvers through urban environments. I recall - vaguely - someone tried to do something similar with a series vehicle, using front axles fore and aft....
                “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
                  Testing in sand for an icy deployment? What could go wrong?
                  That part cracked me up. Who on that engineering/testing team thought sand and snow had the same or similar traction? "Perfectly smooth tires will do fine on the ice, guys. Trust me."

Colin
                  A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by 72Rover View Post

Yeah, the bloody thing didn't have the power to get out of its own way, but the four wheel steering made it surprisingly maneuverable - on flat, hard ground - with interesting 'crabbing' maneuvers through urban environments. I recall - vaguely - someone tried to do something similar with a series vehicle, using front axles fore and aft....
                    It would still have a wide turning radius!
                    gene
                    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

It's been said that modern technology is bigger hammers.... Well, there's a bigger off-road vehicle...developed at government expense. The land-train.

HTML Code:
                      https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-incredible-story-of-the-us-army-s-earth-shaking-off-road-land-trains?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Comment

Working...
                      X