visitor at the hide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visitor at the hide

Three days ago I was sitting in my ground hide, end of second week for archery elk, when I first saw this lion at about 100 yards coming in to me, pretty much a beeline, and figured, hey, take some snaps (cell phone, sorry). Once it got to about 8 yards I yelled at it but it still didn't make me, backed off to 12 yards for the first attached pic,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	lion.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	205994

It seemed to be thinking. what's the funny noise coming from that pile of wood? It backed off to 30 yards (2nd photo panel, find the kitty) and laid there for 25 minutes or so, me keeping an eye on it, it nearly falling asleep, watching the hillside for deer, not paying much attention to me, but I was sure watching it.

Name:	Lion at 30 yds panel.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	205993

It started to get dark so I figured to head back while I still had light. The lion only really made me after I exited the hide and stood up in full view, "lion" spray at ready ha ha! It then ran off up the hill in the opposite direction, which pleased me to no end. Gorgeous animal! I think it was a young adult, couldn't tell sex, maybe 90 lbs (a bit larger than my old labs). Last year I saw an adult in the same place but it was heading in the opposite direction.
    Attached Files

Awesome! great pic and story.
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Aw heck no! That right there is the thing that keeps the hair on the back of my neck tingling. Ultimate predator. Were you calling at all or just sitting your hide? I've seen bobcat a couple of times in the woods, never a big cat. Makes me wonder how many times they've seen me though...
      Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

No calling, just sitting, watching, waiting. I haven't had any elk come through so far this year, but lots of deer, and my hunch is that is what the lion was after. Over the following two days, I saw vultures circling a hillside near my hide and figured the cat might have made a kill. I checked out the area today but didn't find anything. In late July, I found the skeleton of a yearling elk, all epiphyses unfused, still some muscle and tendon, so relatively fresh, and at the time thought it was a likely lion kill. I've been bowhunting and backpacking etc. for nearly 60 years, and it is only last year and this that I've seen a lion, for a total of two now. Last year my game camera captured a sequence of a lion chasing elk and I'm pretty sure it was the same lion I'd seen. It was not successful though, and about 10 minutes later the lion came back for another cameo on the camera, looking a little sad and dejected. And you're right, they are out, and they are watching us. All. The. Time.

Comment

Yep, That's why I don't go sit out in the field quietly with my face stuck to my telescope at night any more.
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Our local pig farmer says he sees them every year while harvesting his 5,000 acres of corn. The DNR denies they are here, even though there are deer pulled up in trees within a quarter mile of my house. Only one animal does that that I know of.

Great pictures, nice story.
            Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
              Our local pig farmer says he sees them every year while harvesting his 5,000 acres of corn. The DNR denies they are here, even though there are deer pulled up in trees within a quarter mile of my house. Only one animal does that that I know of.

Great pictures, nice story.
              That one that got killed in Connecticut had to get there somehow. Maybe he took a Greyhound or hopped a train?

https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Lion-Lo.../dp/1620405520
              -Matt
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by badvibes View Post
                Aw heck no! That right there is the thing that keeps the hair on the back of my neck tingling. Ultimate predator. Were you calling at all or just sitting your hide? I've seen bobcat a couple of times in the woods, never a big cat. Makes me wonder how many times they've seen me though...
                Arent there also persistent rumors of jaguars in NM and AZ?

https://www.oryxthejournal.org/blog/...nd-new-mexico/

I guess so.
                -Matt
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by Yorker View Post

Arent there also persistent rumors of jaguars in NM and AZ?

https://www.oryxthejournal.org/blog/...nd-new-mexico/

I guess so.
                  Don't forget Bigfoot!
                  gene
                  1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Originally posted by Yorker View Post

Arent there also persistent rumors of jaguars in NM and Arizona?
                    Yes every blue moon a jaguar pops up somewhere. This picture is from 2015 in Southern NM. Taken by an experienced cat hunter its probably reliable evidence they are out there..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Jag.jpg Views:	62 Size:	17.6 KB ID:	206085

NOTE: I came across another source, the NM Dept of Game and Fish, that states an earlier date for this jaguar sighting. I think it is probably a much more reliable source, Apology for the error, please see the quote taken from the NMDGF article.

In the extreme southwestern corner of
                    New Mexico, sometimes referred to
                    as the 'Bootheel,' are found flora and
                    fauna which usually only thrive much
                    farther south.
                    In the early dawn on March 7, 1996,
                    while leading a mountain lion hunt in
                    the rugged mountains of this region,
                    guide and rancher Warner Glenn and
                    his daughter Kelly encountered something
                    rarely seen north of the Mexican border—
                    a jaguar.
                    Last edited by badvibes; 10-01-2022, 12:07 AM. Reason: For the sake of accuracy correction of the date of the sighting...
                    Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

Regarding Sasquatch please find a link attached from the BFRO website a report done by a guy I know. Please bear in mind this is the report of one individual. None of the other people he mentions in his report, other hunters, were interviewed for his report or the commentary regarding the report. BFRO is the acronym for Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=5535

I will say I take exception to most of what this guy reported. He's an idiot.

Comment

Have to say that I've always felt fortunate that our lions don't hunt in prides -- that would make being out in the woods an entirely different proposition! I've seen lots of African lions but always from inside a Land Cruiser. A few years back, a population of African lions was "discovered" in the cross-border Dinder (Sudan) - Alatash (Ethiopia) National Parks.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...nal_Park_Sudan

They've always been there, just a small'ish population that today is likely on the edge of local extinction, especially with all of the cattle herders armed with AKs. These parks are about 50 km SW from my Middle Stone Age field area, and in the twenty years of working that bush country, it never once occurred to us that lions still lived in the region. We now tread differently. We have found one fossil lion mandible, so maybe a great^10 grandma of these lions!

Comment

Yes every blue moon a jaguar pops up somewhere. This picture is from 2015 in Southern NM. Taken by an experienced cat hunter its probably reliable evidence they are out there..

Name:	Jag.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	206085

That is awesome.
                          -Matt

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I don't like being close to big cats or bears. There's a reason they were mostly hunted to extinction in certain areas... they are dangerous. There has been some push in the past (but probably still active) to reintroduce black bears down here. This is ridiculous to me. I like being in the woods without worrying about being eaten/attacked. But maybe they were always here and we just didn't think about it as kids... who knows.

My one encounter with a large cat was when I was in my mid 20's in a parking lot at around 3am. I had gone for a night walk, and was on the edge of a large (at that time) park. I was standing on the edge near a corner in a shadow admiring the stars and the night. I lowered my head and saw a panther 25ish feet from me walking across the lot to the woods. I froze. It never saw me. After it had entered the woods, I waited several minutes before slowly walking backwards out of there!

(One thing down here, that will attack are wild hogs. I've never seen one, but have talked to hunters that have been charged by them.)

Comment

Regarding Sasquatch please find a link attached from the BFRO website a report done by a guy I know. Please bear in mind this is the report of one individual. None of the other people he mentions in his report, other hunters, were interviewed for his report or the commentary regarding the report. BFRO is the acronym for Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization.

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=5535

I will say I take exception to most of what this guy reported. He's an idiot.
                              BFRO, Hah! they did a show in Santa Cruz and interviewed 2 women who claimed to have one ogling them from the bushes by the river. Just happens to be the place the homeless hang out...

Pic is one of my first trail cam pics in 2017, the street in front of my house......

Name:	Lion 2.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	206106
                              Attached Files
                              gene
                              1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Working...
                              X