Grenadier or Defender?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally did vote....

For another Series. A vehicle that should survive an emp!
    Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Yeah, Series trucks don't notice a chip shortage much.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      '73 S3 88"
      '87 110 garden shed

Comment

I wonder if they will ever make a 90" (or there abouts) 2 door Granadier. I would be interested! As long as it has opening rear windows (take note Land Rover Defender).

Comment

Originally posted by nicsrover View Post
          I wonder if they will ever make a 90" (or there abouts) 2 door Granadier. I would be interested! As long as it has opening rear windows (take note Land Rover Defender).
          I wonder what the sales figures were for the 90 vs 110. I heard that the 2 door Wranglers were getting far less popular than the 4 doors.

I like the long wheelbase. Maybe something in between would be the magic? 100?

Comment

Kinda disappointing to get only 20 votes, Get another Series edged out the Grenadier by 7 votes and you Defender fans...well what can I say. Thanks to those who participated, give yourselves a gold star!
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

To make this topic a little more interesting a question for those who desire the Grenadier - Petrol or Diesel?

Petrol: BMW B58 3.0L turbo
              210 kW of power (4750rpm) and 450Nm of torque (1750-4000rpm)
              CO₂ emission 325-336g/km and fuel consumption 14.4-14.9l/100km (15.8-16.3 mpg)

Diesel: BMW B57 3.0L twin turbo
              183 kW of power (3250-4200rpm) and 550Nm of torque (1250-3000rpm)
              CO₂ emission 276-319g/km and fuel consumption 10.5-12.2 l/100km (19.3-22.4 mpg)

Comment

I'd love to have the diesel variant.

The resale on these when they first start getting delivered to US customers is going to be insane. These will be all over Bring a Trailer and Cars and Bids. For that reason, I wish I was getting one of the firsts.

Colin
                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Pass on diesel.

I've got a D5 TD6 and while the actual diesel part itself is fine, finding diesel pumps that are easy has become a challenge. I had this issue on Tuesday. Had a hard time finding diesel that wasn't nearly a dollar overpriced, that had passenger vehicle pump (aka not big rig), pumps that weren't blocked, and didn't have 5 gallons of diesel spilled everywhere. Its annoying to have these issues at pretty much any gas station that isn't a newer QT (local chain here in the southeast). Heck many local gas stations don't even have a card reader on the diesel pump, gotta go in and wait 10 minutes in line to get $50 on pump..whatever.

Oh and just had to deal with fuel gelling over Christmas. That was fun.

Sorry but diesel in light duty applications is coming to an end. The benefits no longer make sense with the latest gasoline engines being so powerful, efficient, and more cost effective. If you tow A LOT (aka more than once a month) then the diesel makes sense. The TD6 is fantastic for towing and the range is great. 25-27 mpg highway is great.

Comment

Originally posted by LR Max View Post
                    Pass on diesel.

I've got a D5 TD6 and while the actual diesel part itself is fine, finding diesel pumps that are easy has become a challenge. I had this issue on Tuesday. Had a hard time finding diesel that wasn't nearly a dollar overpriced, that had passenger vehicle pump (aka not big rig), pumps that weren't blocked, and didn't have 5 gallons of diesel spilled everywhere. Its annoying to have these issues at pretty much any gas station that isn't a newer QT (local chain here in the southeast). Heck many local gas stations don't even have a card reader on the diesel pump, gotta go in and wait 10 minutes in line to get $50 on pump..whatever.

Sorry but diesel in light duty applications is coming to an end. The benefits no longer make sense with the latest gasoline engines being so powerful, efficient, and more cost effective. If you tow A LOT (aka more than once a month) then the diesel makes sense. The TD6 is fantastic for towing and the range is great. 25-27 mpg highway is great.
                    Some good points. I love the idea of diesel, and my 110 is, but I don't daily drive it. So fueling is never a big issue for me. Diesels are somewhat of a thing around here, being in the south. But I personally have no real need (as of yet) for one of those large Cummins monsters. I am still intrigued by the little R2.8, but it's wearing off. Perhaps some of the novelty of it was the lack of complexity. Now they have a million sensors, require DEF piss, and EGR systems and all that jazz. America never went hardcore diesel like most other countries, and maybe that's a shame. I really wish we had gotten the 4.2 Toyota diesel. I'd kill for one of those. https://youtu.be/ammfTflqxEs?t=17

So put me down for the gas one too, since I have to have the complexity no matter which one I choose...

Comment

Originally posted by LR Max View Post
                      Pass on diesel.

I, too, have a D5 TD6 that I purchased mainly because we used to do a ton of cross country driving (Texas to SC and VA). That has died down now that my kids are out of college. Honestly, it's been awesome for those purposes. But as you mention, the price of diesel is kind of stupid. Add to that, now that I'm doing more "around town" driving, I have to be careful not to clog up my DPF or risk getting a CEL.

All that said, the D5 might be one of the best vehicles I've owned. It's amazingly comfortable on long trips. Holds a ton of gear. Its damn near as capable as a new Defender and has a more posh interior.
                      1973 Series III - Marine Blue (sold)
                      1979 Series III - Royal Navy Blue

Comment

Grenadier 100%. I could never replace my 109 for less.
                        Tom P.
                        1965 exMod IIa 109
                        1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

Working...
                        X