Vermont? North Carolina? Relo for retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermont? North Carolina? Relo for retirement

So, looking at some AFFORDABLE options. I love the west but nothing seems doable out here. I look in the Utah/Idaho/Wyoming/Montana areas. So I have been looking east towards Vermont/NH area or western North Carolina (Asheville/Andrew areas generally).

So what should I know beyond cold, humid etc. I really want a small acreage where perhaps I could set up a small shooting range, or MTB trail, or “patrol” my fence line with my classic 4x4’s. Any rules against these behaviors? I do assume within city limits would limit my freedoms in these realms.

Any thoughts. Affordable is dictated by early retirement. Looking sub $300k. I know stuff could change but let’s assume I might buy now and rent it out for the next 4-5 years.

Any local knowledge help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Andrew
    1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Drew, I'm thinking with global warming maybe West Coast of British Columbia. Just stay out of tsunami range.....
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Western Pennsylvania is nice. You could find what you are looking for in the northern half.

Comment

Tennessee
        Steve

1964 Series IIa In progress
        1968 S IIa (Sold)
        1972 S III (Sold)
        1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)
        1985 J**p CJ-7 (For Sale)

Comment

I regularly see good houses on large plots of land in Maine for sale below $300k. I assume VT and NH are very doable for the same range, especially further North. Pennsylvania, Western New York and parts of Connecticut are still very affordable as well. The community, amenities and access to both outdoor activities and some culture are the big things to look for in my opinion.

Comment

https://youtu.be/a8F-1W5PZLY?si=ZloUR7-MXxQUXLBW
            -Matt
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

$1.4M I think it's out of his price range.... Good location for that Land Rover Graveyard though....
              gene
              1960 109 w/ 200TDI
              rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post

$1.4M I think it's out of his price range.... Good location for that Land Rover Graveyard though....
                It'll probably end up subdivided.

some decent deals there if you want to be somewhere quiet and be left alone. Or want to grow potatoes.

I'm surprised this one hasn't dropped in price yet...
                -Matt
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I agree with looking in NH, VT, and Maine, cuz they are affordable compared to my state of Mass. You just have to head away from population centers, which sounds like what you want to do anyway. I might add upstate New York to your search. I've driven through it a few times and it looks like you can find old farms and larger plots of land.

Good luck!
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  '73 S3 88"
                  '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Something else to think about..

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/inf...ement%20income.

Honestly you'll find what you want anywhere in the northeast, I'm originally from upstate NY, it's a beautiful state, under appreciated as far as the row is concerned. That being said PA, VT western MA, Northeast CT spectacular, all of them... you'd really have to visit and tour the top contenders, get a feel for amenities, scenery and local flavor (which can be a crap shoot)

Comment

Western PA is definitely a sweet spot with a little bit of everything you could want and very little of what you don't (i.e. hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, landslides, locust plagues - excepting the Spotted Lantern Fly). Real estate prices are still reasonable, there's still a lot of semi-remote to remote green space to live on. I'd be happy to give you a tour if you decide to come for a visit.

Comment

NC will be fairly pleasant year around. Our mountains are enjoyable and colorful.

I start with the cons: Its crowded as crap now. "Peak leaf season" pretty much clogs all the mountains up with everyone coming in from Atlanta, Charlotte, and Raleigh. Pretty much all the 4x4 trails are closed down and the remaining ones have giant targets on their backs. So your outdoor recreation is going to be a lot of hiking and the like.

The Pros: Its always nice up there. You have modern conveniences and plenty of interstates to get where you need to go. Pretty nice hiking and mountain biking trails. The mountain biking here in the mountains of NC is pretty solid. Nantahala and Pisgah come to mind. If you like gravel grinding, that is everywhere too. Beech mountain ski resort becomes a downhill mountain biking course in the summer which is pretty awesome.

Side note: Mountain biking in North Georgia is also pretty good, even the trails close to Atlanta. Trails in Charlotte, NC are terrible. Also trails near Wytheville, VA are crap.

Overall everyone is kinda off of Asheville and looking at Hendersonville. Very similar to Asheville but not as crowded. Also throw Knoxville on your radar. Northeastern Tennessee is very agreeable to outdoor activities and not very crowded.

Asheville is just overcrowded and a pain. Also be careful that everyone talks about how great the Biltmore is. I guess. Its al a carte there, so be careful. A lot of their outdoor activities are kinda crap. Their sporting clays range is crap. LR experience is awesome (and for the price, it damn well better be). They are doing more involved owners days that seem cool. Once again, expensive but seems to be a fun event now, extending through the entire weekend.

Benefit of living in Asheville, from a 4x4 perspective, is easier access to Windrock and parks in eastern TN. That is where the good trails are now.

Georgia is a hard pass on all fronts. Same with South Carolina (Upstate near the mountains is like Asheville now, the middle is farmland, and then the coast is crazy busy).

In regards to patrolling your fenceline, shouldn't be a problem. Only issue will be terrain. It can be rocky, side slope, low traction. Shooting range...maybe. Probably not doing that on 100 acres.

Yeah for your rover, make sure to get mud tires. They needed around here.

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post

I might add upstate New York to your search. I've driven through it a few times and it looks like you can find old farms and larger plots of land.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	tristate-population-2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	217294

A lot of my out of state friends are always amazed by how cheap properties are here. They have to stay cheap because of the property taxes. If you like guns and want a personal gun range don't move here. Things are bad and only getting worse, the state spends far more than it should and the tax base is declining. Population out flow and tax revenue loss is cumulative. Pie in the sky dreams of renewable energy mean tax dollar subsidized solar farms are popping up all over which naturally increases electricity costs too. If NY is to meet its mandated solar goals they'll need another 240,000 acres of solar farms. This will only make matters progressively worse in terms of energy costs.

It IS a great place to live in terms of topography, people, things to do, history, but its rapidly being ruined by unsustainable legislative mandates. Because of demographics there is no hope of fixing it either.

If you want some depressing reading check out the threads here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/New-York/9/
                          -Matt

Comment

Most of the Asheville population is going to oppose the things you want to enjoy (gas vehicles and firearms)…………If the motorcycle shop I really like wasn’t located there, I might never go back.

Tons of great small towns in NC other than Asheville. Boone, Brevard, Banner Elk, Hot Springs, Sylva, Cullowhee…..etc. You may have to live outside of most of those cities to get your desired price down, but it’s doable for sure.
                            - Rover Owner

Comment

Thanks guys. This is exactly the info I am looking for. Would love to have a lot of acres and east seems to be the place. By range I mean a very small personal range to plink on. I am a few years out in reality, but am looking now cause you never know. I have been through the NE before and like the small winding roads and villages. Never been to NC/Georgia so have a lot to learn out there. I am planning on taking some vacation time and coming out to get a feel of various areas. The hunt is half the fun!

Keep the info coming all is welcome and helpful!
                              1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Working...
                              X