Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family memorabilia.

Hello from Brisbane.

A good while ago I posted up a thread that mentioned that my wife’s grandfather had been a mounted trooper in the Boer War - New South Wales Citizens Bushmen C Squadron - and had seen active service in several theatres in South Africa. Part of the initial post covered a Boer Mauser carbine that he had brought back home and eventually came into my possession.

Moving on, my mother-in-law is terminally ill and in recent times there has been a bit of sorting out of affairs and cleaning up of bits and pieces poked into cupboards here and there. Two such pieces that emerged yesterday - one of which I was aware of and the other previously unseen - included these.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0721.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	163.6 KB ID:	220212

This first is the Queens South Africa Medal that all British and Empire troops were awarded for being there. The ribbon includes four campaign bars denoting places where the awardee had served - in this case Cape Colony, Rhodesia, Orange Free State and the Transvaal. Basically, the four squadrons arrived in Cape Town, reshipped to Beira in Mozambique and travelled to Bulawayo where they joined General Plumer’s Rhodesian Field Force. They rode through what was then Bechuanaland to take part in the relief of Mafeking and then lifted the sieges at Elands River and Rustenburg before fighting north to Pietersburg including the battle at Pienaars River bridge. He was invalided home in 1901 after being severely injured by a kicking horse.

The second item was a new one for me - originally looking like a small box of commemorative nicknacks it had a couple of quite interesting pieces. The two flag badges and slouch hat pin are cheap souvenirs from the centenary of Anzac Day which would have been in 2015 to mark the original landings at Gallipoli in the Dardanelles in April 1915.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2739.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	199.3 KB ID:	220210

However, the cufflinks were something else. My mother-in-law recognised that they were cufflinks but wasn’t sure about their origin. I noticed that they had a head on them which I recognised to be Paul Kruger the then President of the Transvaal Republic and ultimately the larger Afrikaner State that the Empire was fighting. Kruger National Park and the gold Krugerand were named after him.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2740.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	204.9 KB ID:	220209

The discs with Kruger’s head would have been small coins from the Boer Republics. The bars at the ends are hollow bodied bullets for a 7mm Mauser which was the standard Boer weapon at the time. Hard to know the origin but they’re possibly a bit of handicraft from a Boer combatant and also maybe a prisoner at the time. Whatever, they’re now part of the small collection of Boer War stuff in my drawer with a family connection.

Cheers,

Neil
    Last edited by S3ute; 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM.

Awesome! What a wonderful snapshot of history, thanks for sharing.
    1965 Series IIa

Comment

That’s pretty neat! Just want to make sure I’m interpreting the photo correctly—the discs with Kruger’s profile are attached to the 7mm bullets by the thin wire/rod to make up each cufflink?
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by SafeAirOne View Post
        That’s pretty neat! Just want to make sure I’m interpreting the photo correctly—the discs with Kruger’s profile are attached to the 7mm bullets by the thin wire/rod to make up each cufflink?
        Hello and thanks for your interest.

Although it’s not clear from the photos the bullets are attached to the disc with short lengths of chain.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Speaking of old war stuff. I have a few things that were given to me by a very good friend of mine, who had no heirs. His older brother was stationed in Frankfurt at the IG Farben building, where this was said to have been recovered from the desk of an unknown Nazi official. It's nickel plated brass with a steel base and stands just over 4". It's never been photographed until now, to my knowledge, and quite honestly, I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Other things include a very large Nazi battle flag complete with blood stains, bayonets, and one sword from the Weimar Republic.

I also have about 50 photographs taken during the war, on the trip to Frankfurt and Munich.
          (I assume there's probably an outfit that catalogs old war photos, but I have not researched it.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Paperweight.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.6 KB ID:	220289
          Last edited by 50 wulf; 02-11-2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

My Dad was a medic is WW2. He served with the 45th Thunderbird Division who liberated Dachau. I have photographs of what they found 30 minutes after the Germans evacuated along with several old military insignas one of which is an SS patch. I imagine that I will pass them along to one of my kids as I am unsure what else to do with them. Our house is mostly filled with stuff from my grandparents and parents which I have the feeling that neither kid will want. It seems that the newer generations don't want this old stuff. I'm glad that I won't be alive to see what actually happens to it all.
            Jim
            64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Working...
            X