In the tub tie downs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
    So do most of you do like I used to; just pile all the gear in there and let it bounce around?
    I throw most everything in a Pelican. 1470 or something. Fits perfectly in there. Would not do this on anything more difficult than a gravel road though. . .

Comment

Typically, I'm driving on the beach with a full load of beach gear. With Mrs. RustCollector, the two boys, fire pit, cooler, etc., the only thing that can move at all in the 88" are our heads and arms. Big bumps do shift things a bit, but it's always an adventure. Repacking for the ride home is also an adventure.

---------------------------------------------------
      '73 S3 88"
      '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Gene,

Hello again.

One budget suggestion to mull over is to use muffler clamps of an appropriate size to your needs for tie down points. I did this back in the 70’s with a then new Falcon ute that I carted my Yamaha trail bike around in. These trucks didn’t have any tie down arrangements inside the load bay and using the tonneau cover tying points was an exercise carried out only once usually and then by the non-gifted.

Basically, you use the rounded bolts as the ring and reverse the clamping bracket and set it the other side of the attachment panel as a brace. Otherwise, use a piece of scrap metal flat bar as the brace if preferred. Unless you are tethering your pet elephant or carrying really heavy loads these work fine - my trail bike never moved despite traversing some seriously rough forest roads.

In a 109” you could mount these on top of the wheel boxes fore and aft or into the top gal capping. Again, that depends on clearances, likely loads or personal preference.

A thought anyway.

Cheers,

Neil

PS. I forgot to add that this setup is better served if you also use a second set of hex nuts and flat washers on the load side to steady the circular bolt up against the brace.
        Last edited by S3ute; 03-04-2024, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Gene do you have any existing holes from jump seats or rear bench seats you could possibly reutilize?

Imho securing the load in the back is an important subject because in any accident your 50# tool box in the back can become a deadly projectile.
          -Matt
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Matt, I do not have any existing holes. It is further compounded by the fact that my 109 is a regular, meaning that on both sides in the rear of the wheelwells there are tool lockers and on the front behind the driver is a spare tire tub and fitment. Behind the passenger is a cutout and lid for the spare to be mounted on that side.
            I agree with the lethal projectile theory in an accident whether on or off road. One reason why many of my bags are soft.
            I still have some things I keep in Pelican/Nanuk cases and I don't need them flying around. Most everything is somehow strapped/hooked to my tub top trim and sits on top of my wheelwell, Some of the heavy stuff is up against the seat bulkhead carabinered to a rachet strap across the back. You can kinda get an idea from this pic;

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9196.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	220953

So today I was working on an idea of using piano hinge along the top of the corner. I don't have quite the right size hinge at home, I'd like something more substantial, though I do like the concept. Each hole can be made independent of the others, yet the bottom strip fully connected to the tub. The issue I ran into is my largest rachet strap hooks need a 7/16" hole and with this size hinge I have very little material at the top of the hole. More research ahead!

Name:	DSCF0841.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	220954 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0847.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	220955 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0856.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	220956 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0860.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	220957
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

It came to me today; I don't need piano hinge, any hinge would do although the continuous hinge is more adjustable for tying down locations. I don't have any spare hinges lying about. I thought maybe a few of the Factory lid hinges part #303871 would look like a factory add on. They are @ $20ea from the UK. + shipping. Little on the expensive side for 8 of them.

Name:	53700-303871-hasp-for-seat-box-lid-1948-65.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	220965
              gene
              1960 109 w/ 200TDI

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

I would bet they would bang about a bit when they are not in use and you are motoring about.

Comment

I think you are right on that, however a small magnet glued on might remedy it.

Here's a picture of my tub;

Name:	DSC02124.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	220985
                  gene
                  1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
                    I think you are right on that, however a small magnet glued on might remedy it.

Here's a picture of my tub;

Name:	DSC02124.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	220985
                    Gene, I haven't seen your tub that empty in a long time.
                    Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
                    Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
                    Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
                    Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Removing the rub strips on the sides of the wheel wells and replacing it with the Ancra track would be a clean and stealthy install. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                        Removing the rub strips on the sides of the wheel wells and replacing it with the Ancra track would be a clean and stealthy install. Just sayin.
                        I'd tend to agree.

One thing that is fairly common hereabouts for vans and wagons that carry loose stuff in their cargo compartments are cargo barriers - high impact mesh screens that separate the cargo compartment from the passenger compartment. These are a bit like dog barriers but have a finer mesh pattern to prevent smaller projectiles penetrating the barrier.

That loose stuff can become projectiles that will either maim or kill is something that I think of regularly when stopping for a thermos of tea - the missing handle on the cup is a souvenir from the time back in the 80's that a fast stop saw the flask leave the comfort of the rear seat and hit the dash of my work 4 X 4 with some force.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

https://expeditionexchange.com/shop-...it-vt-1005-250

Mac's tie downs is what I used in my defender. Easily taken out when not in use. I stowed most of my gear in a pelican that did not move much either...

Comment

I just came across these in YouTube, with a backing plate, they could be installed in a Rover easy-peasy.
                            https://youtube.com/shorts/L31F1xAzq...yP68hec2asN_L4
                            Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
                            Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
                            Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
                            Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X