Little Toy Bastard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Toy Bastard

Rainy and overcast here today, but not too cold so decided to move forward on the project 109". To start the day, when moving the completed rear diff out of the way, it fell on my finger! That sucked! But I worked on through it.

Here's the YM ready to make the initial push. Ground is very soft and I had my doubts, but YM has difflock so felt good about it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	176119

And no sweat for the YM, even with two tires locked up on the 109"!

Name:	Extraction-02.jpg
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	176120Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction-03.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	176121

On solid ground!

Name:	Extraction-06.jpg
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	176122Click image for larger version

Name:	Extraction-05.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	176123

Before pressure washing:

Name:	Extraction-04.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	166193

After pressure washing, and lining the Rover up with the garage:

Name:	Extraction-07.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	166194

The little YM pushed the 109 around like a boss and made the job easy. The 109 is in the garage now. More updates as time permits.

Side note, pressure washing got out much dirt, minimal rust, a few dozen pecans, and several hundred wasps, who were thankfully lethargic enough to permit dispatching them with ease!

Comment

Looks like a good start. Another week or two and you'll be on the road.

Comment

This should be interesting.

I need to be getting a little tractor like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Correus View Post
          This should be interesting.

I need to be getting a little tractor like that.
          Yep, you don't realize how handy they are until you get one.

Sunday was a beautiful day and I worked late into the night. I cut out the transmission support member and set the transmission down in the frame to see where it would end up. It looks like the transmission support will need to be about 3” further back than stock. Which is not bad. Good news is that the middle support beam should clear everything. But forward crossmember may have to be moved to clear front driveshaft.

Name:	Trans test fit.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	166197

Comment

Is that a 4 or 6 cyl bulkhead?
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
              Is that a 4 or 6 cyl bulkhead?
              Looks like a 4 in the pics.

-Jeff

Comment

Original engine was a 4cyl.

New removable trans crossmember fabbed up and temporarily clamped in place. Motor test fitted. Looks like it was made for it. Waiting for stainless header to come in to check exhaust routing.

Name:	Motor Test Fit-01.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	166209Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Test Fit-02.jpg
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	166210Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Test Fit-03.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	166211Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Test Fit-04.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	166212

Removing that old steering relay was a nightmare... It took two days and about 3 hrs. I ended up using chisels, log splitting wedges, and a jack to work it up and out.

Comment

Manifold came in tonight!

Bolted it up and it's super close to the bulkhead, but clears it. The crossmember is going to have to move though.

Name:	Motor Test Fit-05.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	166218Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Test Fit-06.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	166219

Comment

Motor mounts fabbed and welded in. Trans crossmember remade and welded in. This may not look factory, but I'd put it up against the original one for strength (made from 3" structural channel). Plus I gained over an inch of ground clearance.

Name:	Motor Mounts.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	166304

Comment

I need to go back and look at the Power steering thread, but I'm assuming that I need to cut off my brake pipe mounting bracket?

Name:	Power Steering Mount.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	166305

Comment

Background

It took me a while to find the 35mm pictures, but if anyone is interested in the story of this Rover, here it is. (Mods feel free to move this post to the 1st page.)

In the summer of 2007, I went with my Father and 2 uncles to Baton Rouge to pick up a very unique Dormobile, which I wrote an article about on the RN board titled, “The Rover that went halfway around the world.” My uncle was going to get it running for the man (his friend). The man's wife had died in an accident and he had decided to downsize some of the remaining vehicles in his collection, but he wasn't sure he wanted to sell the Dormie as it was his favorite. I went along to see the vehicles and help out. He had 4 Rovers (the Dormobile, the 109”, a decent but non-running 88”, and an 88” basketcase) a 74 MGBGT, and a 66 TR4A. I won't retell the Dormobile story, as this is not really about that, but I do need to get an update from my uncle on it. I surprised everyone by saying that I was interested in the Triumph. It was a beautiful little car. I made an offer on the Rover and the Triumph. Both came home with me for a total of $1700. When I got into the Triumph, the motor was locked. The man was upset by this and wanted me to have the MG for my trouble. I couldn't say no, so a third trip was made. I do not know the fate of the two 88”s.

My problem, which I did not realize at the time was just how much work had to be done on my project house, purchased less than a year prior. The Triumph was ultimately sold as-is. The MG was advertised, but did not meet my (very low) reserve so I decided to keep it. At one point, I got pretty heavily into it, but other projects took precedence and my interest waned a little (but I'll still get back to it).

Around 2010, I started the teardown of the 109”, which was completed in only a week. Again, it was sidelined.

The 109” was pretty much a basketcase in it's own right. Frame condition unknown, various parts removed including the wings, motor, both diff pumpkins, breakfast, etc. But most of the parts were there and came with the vehicle and I figured I could fix it. Hell, I'd fixed worse. During this time, I had plenty of time to consider the build. I'd done two factory resto's but they left me wanting something that the stock 1960's Land Rover couldn't provide. That was everyday driveability without stressing the drive-train (or the driver) to keep up with modern traffic. The Toyota straight six was chosen because of my knowledge of it (inside and out), the added power, and reliability (I have one still in operation with around 400,000miles). Using a Toyota transmission was not possible because I wanted to maintain the original LR transfer case, and the available Toyota transmissions were all considerably longer than the closest LR 5-speed option, the R380. That was the concept. This is the story. The journey has finally started, but unfortunately required the sale of my NADA to give me the space, determination, and funds to see it through.

Here are the pics from when the 109” was purchased.

-John

Dormie

Name:	04110016.jpg
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	166344

109" as it was, and a decent 88"

Name:	04110009-small.jpg
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	166345

Basketcase 88"

Name:	04110011-small.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	166346

Triumph

Name:	04120005-small.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	166347

MG

Name:	04120011-small.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	166348
                        Last edited by 50 wulf; 01-06-2019, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The tow home:

Name:	04110023-small.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	166349Click image for larger version

Name:	04110024-small.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	166350Click image for larger version

Name:	04110025-small.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	166351

Comment

This is awesome. Keep it coming.
                            1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Keep up the good work! Cool MG

Your passenger is going to have toasty toes!! Thinking about any kind of heat shielding?

-Steve
                              1962 Dormobile "Get off my ass"
                              1969 Bugeye "Alice"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X