No announcement yet.

Ratel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello again - the local strict lockdown was lifted on the weekend although some of the associated restrictions have remained in place until tomorrow evening. Too late to go to Western Australia as earlier planned and a last minute substitute detour to the Northern Territory is still squeaking by but only by the skin of its teeth - one community case is enough to get the authorities slamming borders shut and re-inflicting more financial and psychological pain on their constituencies. Hopefully, we can get through the next week or so without any further impediments.

Still doing a few fiddling about jobs on the truck rather than anything solid - fuel tank support is still coming.

One small task was searching about for a stronger vacuum check valve for the brake booster - prompted by one of Gene’s (loose gravel) posts which featured an Earls alloy replacement for the plastic one that comes with the boosters. No one had them locally and the postage charges rendered an import from the US cost ineffective. So, searching about I came across a Sydney based outfit Aeroflow that seemed to have a similar background to Earls and got reasonable reviews.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FCCD3143-930B-48F3-99CB-9DEF68BE2921.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	195033

The valve arrived today and it looks to be well made - doesn’t say Made in China which may or may not be correct - Aeroflow claims to manufacture locally but that might not extend right across its range. Still avoiding Chinese stuff where possible but it’s a challenge - the local captains of industry had a race to the bottom back in the 90’s to see who could send their manufacturing capacity offshore the quickest. Unfortunately, this included a lot of stuff with military significance which they’re now trying to retrieve - if you’re wondering where the PLA got its snazzy combat boots from then wonder no more….

I earlier mentioned playing around with switches etc on the bulkhead and trying to ensure that nothing interferes with other elements of the truck’s operation. To allay concerns about installing stuff too close to the eventually to be fitted hand throttle assembly I pulled the box of bits out in order to run a trial fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EB7BB45E-D3EE-40AE-A713-662F234E1ACA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	85.0 KB ID:	195032 Click image for larger version  Name:	F83A5528-28A1-4CE7-BFE4-9FD3DBF83432.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	195031

I picked this up at a garage sale some years ago with a warning that it might have some missing parts. Happily enough the contents were in sealed packets and everything seems to be there. I’ll dummy mount it tomorrow to see how much free mounting space is left on the bulkhead - it’s a bit wider than I had thought. So my earlier concerns about not fitting switches either side of it look to be well founded but that can be checked.

Mick may show up with the bracket tomorrow which might see the larger stuff come back into focus.

Cheers,

Neil
    Last edited by S3ute; 08-20-2021, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• Hello again from Brisbane.

At a loose end on a sunny Saturday with a nice cup of tea to hand.

As a bit of nostalgia - the tool roll of spanners just showing on the bottom photo in the previous post is one that I bought back in 1971 to pull the clutch and gearbox out of an MGB that I owned at the time.

I bought it along with an SAE socket set from a local department store and they were “cheap Japanese” tools of little known origin. But I needed them and that’s what I could afford.

Fifty years later they are still being used with little sign of wear other than the plastic roll on the spanners starting to unravel around the edges and plastic liner in the tin case of the sockets getting a bit brittle.

Were all cheap tools to be so good.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

• Hello again.

Did a trial fit of the hand throttle lever on the bulkhead yesterday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	29601962-CBF9-4190-994D-C393BB5C9922.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	195066

As suspected there isn’t a lot of spare room around the throttle - especially when the plastic shroud has been installed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	8FD3A2A8-EEC9-40A9-8E16-44346CC2A35D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	195067

Also as feared the fire extinguisher interferes with the lever on the full setting - so will have to be moved about 10-20mm to the right. The tank switches and isolator will likely go to the edge of the driver’s footwell as suggested earlier.

Classic example of the wisdom underlying measuring twice and cutting once. In my defence I might add that a lot of the modification planning occurred while laying up in some remote site in Africa, India or South East Asia - so rarely while standing near the truck to eyeball it for a precise fit.

Cheers,

Neil
        Last edited by S3ute; 08-22-2021, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Hello again from 10,000 or so metres above the western plains heading towards the Barkly Tablelands and thence across the Arnhem Land plateau to Darwin - fulfilling an aspiration mentioned over in the Campfire section. Enjoying the travel opportunity offered by an open window of border freedom between Queensland and the Northern Territory that could close at any moment with a single Covid case detected in either community - such is the price of policies of elimination in the face of a vaccination roll out program that hasn’t been particularly well executed.

Anyhoo, Covid griping aside, the week past didn’t see massive progress on the truck other than a few fiddle abouts with various mountable accessories - several of which will be back to the drawing board efforts. I suppose learning what does and doesn’t work constitutes progress of some kind - plus I did procure all the necessary fixings for the tasks when the time is right for undertaking the final fittings.

Among the to-ings and fro-ings I located a set of visors on a local wreck to replace the one that I successfully munted a week or so ago. So, that’s a gain. Less success, however, in securing a set of Rocky Mountain door tops from Canada. After several attempts I did finally get a response from RM with a quoted freight rate that was comparable to a Third World country’s defence budget. A second successful contact had that reduced considerably but subsequent attempts to finalise the deal remain unresolved - pretty hit and miss to say the least but I’m still hopeful of getting there.

Darwin beckons.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Haven’t done much on the truck of late - been a bit preoccupied with dismantling a pump on an old Villiers engine and tying up a few loose ends with an ongoing consultancy hanging over from a preretirement act of folly - ie. assuming that interest in work wouldn’t dissipate as quickly as a morning fog.

Anyway, have done a bit of organising future activities that involved a lot of faffing about the place dropping off bits and pieces or getting quotes. One such has been the decision to put a new floor in the tub - not 100% essential
            but having decided to get it all professionally repainted it seemed a sensible thing to do. Another with an ambiguous outcome related to my quest for a replacement sun visor - noted earlier. One of the local parts sharks came in quickly with advice that he had a set - only to prove to be off some other make of vehicle and the wrong colour to boot. Luckily I double checked before driving across town to collect them.

Another bit of negotiation involved several attempts to get a reliable line to Rocky Mountain in Vancouver - finally got somewhere on pricing and freight culminating in a phone call across the great waters this morning with some credit card details to secure a trade. Looking forward to receiving them because the feedback from others is that the product is good other than perhaps some issues with the flimsy catches.

While I had RM’s ear I decided to get one of their galvanised grilles stowed into the shipping carton - relatively inexpensive and a bit more durable than the original plastic ones. That has set off another hunt for a Rover Australia grille badge in good condition to hold it onto the radiator support panel. They’re about but not as easy to source as the Solihull variants - something to do I suppose.

Friday here and sundowners to look forward to.

Cheers,

Neil
            Last edited by S3ute; 09-10-2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Hello from Brisbane.

A few posts back I was having a therapeutic moan about ExMoor in general and their local agent in particular. This all arose through being on the wrong end of a tortured process of negotiation involving the ordering of a hardura tunnel kit. As the curtain was coming down on the moaning I had surrendered and placed an order for a kit and lodged my credit card details to secure the order - coming in the next shipment from the UK.

Anyway, I hadn’t noticed any call on the card and several months had elapsed so I called the agent to inquire on the status of the order. Shucks - no record although he vaguely remembered the conversation - the container had arrived and the last set was bought by a walk-in last week. At least it was a better excuse than the cat ate it…,

So, in goes another order today with a promised head of the grid position and another six week wait for the container to arrive - by the way the price had risen 10%….

Would drive you to drink - but it’s Friday afternoon and I already have a beer in my hand.

Cheers,

Neil
              Last edited by S3ute; 09-10-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Hello again.

Got a call from the local aluminium supply outlet to come and pick up my order - this being to replate the floor of the tub and possibly giving it an extra overlay of chequerplate.

I dropped in the measurements a few days ago and would love to say that they were a great bunch of guys to deal with - except they weren’t. Complete pack of serviceless dicks to be truthful. Don’t sell off cuts to the unwashed public, your dimension is half an inch longer than a half sheet so you have to buy a full sheet, we don’t cut to half an inch so it’s one stop higher or lower etc….

Despite the provocation I placed the order and headed fo home - ring, ring goes the car phone. Forgot to mention that the price of one sheet had risen a little bit since I got the initial quote - happened that the modest rise was $70…

Oh well - it’s here now safe and sound.

Click image for larger version  Name:	86D0E3A7-8E0F-4548-A938-8D43D16AB705.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	195693

Should look good.

Cheers,

Neil
                Last edited by S3ute; 09-10-2021, 03:07 PM.

Comment

• Nothing worse than spending your money where it’s not appreciated. I’m very fortunate in that I have two suppliers near by that are extremely pleasant to deal with. On one of my recent visits the owner walks me around the side of the building and points out a large bin. He says everything in there is scrap and I can help myself anytime to anything there. Very helpful for small projects.

Comment

• Originally posted by series guy View Post
                    Nothing worse than spending your money where it’s not appreciated. I’m very fortunate in that I have two suppliers near by that are extremely pleasant to deal with. On one of my recent visits the owner walks me around the side of the building and points out a large bin. He says everything in there is scrap and I can help myself anytime to anything there. Very helpful for small projects.
                    Hello again.

Yes there was such a place hereabouts some years back that would let you rummage through the offcuts pile for those smaller jobs. For example, I fabricated a gear shelf in the front compartment of a boat using cutoffs. Price was a six pack of beer or small contribution to some local charity.

Unfortunately, that operation changed hands at some time and the new regime is as I described it. You work with what you have to work with I suppose.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

• Hello again.

Got back on to the tub refurbishment project for a while yesterday by drilling out the floor bracing rivets or taking to them with an angle grinder.

My aim had been to remove the existing floor sheet and replacing it with the new 3mm plain sheet with the original lengthways strengtheners stuck on to it. However, it is stuck down with some sort of adhesive which still has a fair hold on the frame.

So, not sure whether to pursue removing the floor by breaking the adhesive seal or sticking the new sheet on top of it before riveting it back on to the crossbeams. The old sheet is reasonably flat but will likely get bent in any serious removal effort that tries to lever it off the frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tub14.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	195862

The most uneven surface is right at the back - not really too warped, but would probably level down with new rivets and a rigid sheet above it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6FAE5B40-C603-4418-97AD-DBA68A8160CB.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	195873

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tub13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	195863

Happy to take suggestions on the alternatives - especially what if anything you would use to stick the new sheet on top of the existing one if I went down that path.

Cheers,

Neil
                      Last edited by S3ute; 09-15-2021, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• A little torch heat might break free the mastic holding down the panel, making it easier to remove.

Watching with interest, as at some point ours will need a new tub deck.
                        Common sense is no longer common.

Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

• Originally posted by 64osby View Post
                          A little torch heat might break free the mastic holding down the panel, making it easier to remove.

Watching with interest, as at some point ours will need a new tub deck.
                          Hello again and thanks for the suggestion.

When I was looking at it yesterday the thought of applying heat to the sealing join did cross my mind. It was about that time that I was also taking to the idea of setting the new sheet on top of the old one to save a lot of work reapplying the under floor reinforcing rails etc. Could also end up with a slightly stronger floor - although the one in it clearly had survived about 45 years of solid work without undue bowing at the braces.

I should add that there is no structural rust or alloy corrosion in the tub - just some superficial surface rust - so, I wouldn't be laying a good sheet of metal over a stuffed piece of metal. Ditto if I continue to pull off the old sheet - the frame including strengtheners and cross braces are in excellent condition although I will replace the buffer pads that sit on the chassis rails.

Cheers,

Neil
                          Last edited by S3ute; 09-15-2021, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by S3ute View Post
                            we don’t cut to half an inch so it’s one stop higher or lower etc….
                            Hello again from Brisbane.

I feared this might come back to bite me at some stage. Because they wouldn’t cut in half steps I erred upwards to avoid the final sheet being marginally too short. Needless to say it’s 2,5mm too long and the panel wouldn’t lie flat on a test fit.

Admittedly it’s aluminium so should be relatively easy to shorten - either by cutting or grinding. But having paid $10 to get it cut at the supplier it would have been nice to not have to do the second cut.

The way it is.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

• Originally posted by S3ute View Post
                              Hello again.

I was putting some pressure on the stuck visor hinge yesterday when I heard an ominous crack - and observed a 25mm crack appear in the plastic covering fabric.

Looks like the hunt for a replacement will have to begin in earnest…..

Cheers,

Neil
                              Hello again.

Another small ray of sunshine came my way yesterday.

Found another Roverperson with a surplus matching sun visor in his collection. Don’t know the price yet but hopefully it won’t be set in shekels - recalling the haggling scene in Life of Brian….

I’m hoping that he also has a surplus to needs Rover Australia grille badge to complement the Rocky Mountain mesh grille that is also meant to be winging its way across the great waters packed safely with a set of door tops.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

As luck would have it the replacement visor appears to be pretty good and a fair match for the undamaged one from the original pair.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Visor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	195935

The Rover Australia badge is moderately worn but unbent which is the main thing - these things clean up fairly well with a run of stripper, then a coat of paint and rubbing back along the raised profile with a bit of emery paper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aust_badge.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.2 KB ID:	195936

The drab olive paint overlying the original black paint suggests that this badge came off a military truck - likely a later S2A 109” troop carrier. Could have been either on the grille or tub. The font on the badges fitted on the earlier 88” trucks was different.

The asking prices for both items weren't exactly give away - but he had them and I wanted them which is a sensible enough basis for trade.

From a rivet counting viewpoint, the Series 3 Land Rovers didn't actually have an oval grille badge or a manufacturing location on the tub badges - but then they also didn't have Rocky Mountain aftermarket grilles either. So, I'll let sleeping riveters lie....

Cheers,

Neil
                                Last edited by S3ute; 09-17-2021, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X