1958 88 Series II - taking the previous owner(s) out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Contractor View Post
    I had Ike send me a bag for the dash not that long ago.
    Otherwise most of us use:
    Cool project......damn the holes you gotta fix.
    Thanks, got lucky yesterday and bought a tub from a "local" guy

Originally posted by series guy View Post
    Most all the usual vendors sell a floor screw kit with all the correct fasteners and clips. I know RN has the correct dash screws. One great thing about a Series truck is that you can cut some patches out of your old wing and rivet them over the extraneous holes and they just blend in. If you are going all Rover you may want to find a Series III brake pedal tower, booster, and master cyl. to retain the dual circuit power brakes that the p. o. did. Also on a Series truck the steering box and column are one unit and you will need to source one that way as the steering shaft was most likely cut by the p. o. During his modifications.
    I didnt think of patching using old parts. I will be redoing all the brake lines, going for the single circuit, controversial topic I imagine but my Volvo Amazons do just fine with them and you can tell if something is going wrong way before a catastrophic failure. I picked up a steering box yesterday (pictures and info below) hopefully it's the correct stuff I need

Originally posted by LR Max View Post
    What was that pump/compressor bolted to the engine?
    Also the engine block looks like a series, but the valve cover and Thermostat housing look different!!??
    Heck of a project but looks like its going in the right direction. Keep going!
    Yes, see first post with the engine pictures, pump was above the alternator. Thanks I can't wait to be driving this

Originally posted by Rich Lambert View Post
    I spent many hours taking the PO(s) out my truck, but that pales in comparison to yours. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    I have cut up nicer cars than this.

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
    Welcome to the campfire! One of the more modified 88's I've seen. What are you going for? Stock resto? Up and running? Concourse? You would be surprised at how much of a beating these panels can take back to original. The whole steering column/wheel is not stock. Get a parts book. Ike and Ivan on this forum have lots of parts as does others, There is a Resource sticky.

PS are the outlets 12V?
    Thanks, I want to take it back to stock, get it running and just enjoy it. I'm not a fan of super polished cars but I am a fan of repairs done the "right way"... I like my cars to be mechanically sound, fix rust etc... body/paint is secondary

The outlets were just screwed on with NO wiring going to them... No idea what the "thinking" behind it was

Yesterday, Gf and I drove to Berkeley and picked up a series 2 (I think) tub, wings, steering wheel, steering box, two wheels, new brake master, nos trans gasket kit, and few other parts

I will take better pictures when it's not so hot and smokey here. Local fire and ~110F right now

I have the shaft, just not pictured. Is this a series 2 or 2a?

Comment

Get that from Daniel? You can't tell from the box. The 2/2a have a splined end the "banjo" steering wheel goes on and then tightend with a clamp bolt, the S3 have a plastic steering wheel held on with a central nut under the center hub.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

“Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.”
      ― James Dean

Comment

Get that from Daniel? You can't tell from the box. The 2/2a have a splined end the "banjo" steering wheel goes on and then tightend with a clamp bolt, the S3 have a plastic steering wheel held on with a central nut under the center hub.
        Some S2a, like mine, have the plastic wheel. I think the crossover is mid-year ‘67. Mine also has the earlier style dash. Weird year, I guess.
        Gerad

1967 88" 200tdi

Comment

Originally posted by east high View Post
          Some S2a, like mine, have the plastic wheel. I think the crossover is mid-year ‘67. Mine also has the earlier style dash. Weird year, I guess.
          I just didn't want to complicate matters for the new guy.
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

“Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.”
          ― James Dean

Comment

Hey, the best way to learn how to swim is to be thrown in the deep end of the pool. We should start talking about generators and positive earth electrical systems while we’re at it :P
            Gerad

1967 88" 200tdi

Comment

Welcome to the world of the never ending project! You're making great progress so far. I've found one of my best resources has been the parts catalog, it has much better diagrams than the manuals. Here's a link to my download for the parts catalog, it's a clean link to my own personal online uploads: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vthvmv...%2529.pdf/file
              Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
              Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
              Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
              Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Service guides

Check out the service guides here: http://gunsandrovers.com/showthread.php?t=6654

This will tell you when the cross over points for changes are.

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
                Ronald Reagan

Mark Twain

Comment

Nice project, congrats. Looks quite "involved"
                  Most of us have boxes of spares to get rid of.
                  1951 Series 1 80"

Comment

No his name is Vic. Box has a spline end for a Banjo wheel. I think Im going to start with rebuilding this thing

Hey, the best way to learn how to swim is to be thrown in the deep end of the pool. We should start talking about generators and positive earth electrical systems while we’re at it :P
                    Bring it on. I like the details. Positive earth...

Originally posted by Bioheat View Post
                    Welcome to the world of the never ending project! You're making great progress so far. I've found one of my best resources has been the parts catalog, it has much better diagrams than the manuals. Here's a link to my download for the parts catalog, it's a clean link to my own personal online uploads: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vthvmv...%2529.pdf/file
                    Check out the service guides here: http://gunsandrovers.com/showthread.php?t=6654
                    This will tell you when the cross over points for changes are.
                    Thank you

Originally posted by tolon View Post
                    Nice project, congrats. Looks quite "involved"
                    Most of us have boxes of spares to get rid of.
                    Thank you, It's nice to find a good forum

Smokey and hot today but I had to do something on this thing

R&R the crappy home made wheels with some original ones - old tires for now. I need to take a picture of the inside of the wheels tomorrow - PO welded in the centers to make those ugly wheels works. THATS DEDICATION

whatever these lugnuts/studs are - Discovery I think - they're too big to the PO added spacers on each axle

each shock is held in with a bent nail

Removed the monster steering setup and some of the exhaust

much better

saved driver wing and tossed the rest

now for the questions
                    does anyone sell the lower battery trey/frame. I have the part that holds the air filter box

steering box parts I have. Going to take it apart and send some of it out for powdercoating
                    Looks like i'll need this? https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rn...ies_ii_iia_iii

how do I know if the bushing at the top of the column is bad ?

does anyone have early steering wheel cap and the horn button bracket and (early that is located under the steering wheel) #48/49 etc

Im also looking to rebuild/powdercoat the pedal assemblies, anything to watch out for?
                    Looking to buy the pedal covers #20/21 and clutch/brake reservoir in usable condition

going to take out the homemade fuel tank soon and installing a stock tank I have. I need I figure out how to remove rust from the inside of it and seal it properly. Any recommendations other than sending it out ?
                    looks like I'll need this kit ?
                    https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/rn..._ii_iii&type=3

is this the oil filter housing that I need ? and I assume the oil pressure sensor and gaskets are correct also (I know about the "modern day" oil filter adapter but maybe I'll get that later)
                    https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductI...ode=PLC748&eq=
                    https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductI...de=ERR3607&eq=
                    https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductI...ode=PLE590&eq=

Thanks for your help
                    Last edited by 8745jack; 08-20-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I have a nice restored steering wheel center cap. Probably a few other small bits you may need. The bracket that bolts to the column for the horn button can be tough to source. If you find one make sure it includes the clamp as it's a fiddly bit to fabricate. If you want to convert to a horn button in the center of the steering wheel I have one of those also. As for the pedal assemblies; the holes for the roll pin that retains the pedal pivot were drilled by hand. What this means is that if you mix and match these parts the pivot pin holes will never line up. So either keep these parts together or be prepared to redrill the holes. Also you can slide the steering shaft into the column and check for play before you order parts. I don't think your fuel tank is home made but any radiator shop can clean and seal it.

Comment

For cleaning out the fuel tank, when I got my used tank I set it up on a "rotissery" type set up(home-mde) and filled it a quarter of the way up with pea-stone (gravel) and let it spin for a couple of hours, rotated the assembly 90 degrees and did it again, came out nice and clean, washed it out let it dry and used Por 15 Fuel tank sealer in it. If that's too much work, contact Ike at Pangolin and get a stainless steel tank, great up grade.

Ronald Reagan

Mark Twain

Comment

Finding a used battery tray might prove difficult. They're typically welded to, and considered part of, the frame.
                          Gerad

1967 88" 200tdi

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                            I have a nice restored steering wheel center cap. Probably a few other small bits you may need. The bracket that bolts to the column for the horn button can be tough to source. If you find one make sure it includes the clamp as it's a fiddly bit to fabricate. If you want to convert to a horn button in the center of the steering wheel I have one of those also. As for the pedal assemblies; the holes for the roll pin that retains the pedal pivot were drilled by hand. What this means is that if you mix and match these parts the pivot pin holes will never line up. So either keep these parts together or be prepared to redrill the holes. Also you can slide the steering shaft into the column and check for play before you order parts. I don't think your fuel tank is home made but any radiator shop can clean and seal it.
                            PM incoming. I'll get better pictures of the tank later, not a bad job but I do have stock tank. I'll call around for prices and see if the local shop does this.

For cleaning out the fuel tank, when I got my used tank I set it up on a "rotissery" type set up(home-mde) and filled it a quarter of the way up with pea-stone (gravel) and let it spin for a couple of hours, rotated the assembly 90 degrees and did it again, came out nice and clean, washed it out let it dry and used Por 15 Fuel tank sealer in it. If that's too much work, contact Ike at Pangolin and get a stainless steel tank, great up grade.
                            I been thinking about the POR15 sealer, didnt have any personal experience but it's cheap enough on amazon.
                            I did the pebble trick on an old motorcycle tank few years back. Im going to just pour some rust remover inside and wait, easier than making a rotisserie... hmm but I do have cement mixer

Finding a used battery tray might prove difficult. They're typically welded to, and considered part of, the frame.
                            I thought this might be the case... can anyone provide me with dimensions and good pictures? I know I can just make one

Thanks

Comment

My rotisserie was my cement mixer with cargo straps, only took about 5 minutes to set up.

Ronald Reagan

Mark Twain

Comment

My rotisserie was my cement mixer with cargo straps, only took about 5 minutes to set up.
                                HAHA well looks like I'll be using the same method.

great minds think alike .... (do the dumb ones?)

EDIT: it will take me more than 5 min because I have to move a bunch of car parts in its way
                                Last edited by 8745jack; 08-21-2020, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X