1958 88 Series II - taking the previous owner(s) out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8745jack View Post
    ...great minds think alike .... (do the dumb ones?)...

Literally laughed out loud at that one.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

I did the same thing with a harbor freight cement mixer and tie down straps, used walnut shells from my reloading supplies, POR15 sealer. You can turn the mixer in different positions and get coverage on all the areas inside.
      SIIA 1969 88
      Marine blue

Comment

Pfffttt....you guys and your cement mixers. Here's the REAL way to do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upo5Vg4UP7c
        I'm more of a pedal through the floor kind of guy.

Comment

One could feasibly do a load of laundry on the other rear wheel for maximum efficiency. Talk about a spin cycle!

Comment

Originally posted by roverjohn View Post

That brought tears to my eyes I laughed so hard!
            Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
            Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
            Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
            Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Any similarity to people who know what they're doing are purely coincidental...

Originally posted by roverjohn View Post

Yeah but like eagle597 points out with the mixer you can vary the angle of attack...

https://youtu.be/Gm5k5Dd72iM
              Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

You know it's a scott and badvibes production by the blood stains on the gloves.

Comment

Great video. Mechanic-ing in the truest sense of Land Rover (early LR at least).
                  1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D View Post
                    You know it's a scott and badvibes production by the blood stains on the gloves.
                    Bloody Knuckles Brotherhood...
                    Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

That was great!

started some repair work on pedals. Im assuming the Series 2 clutch and brake paleal assembly is the same and at some point someone cut the upper bracket brace for whatever reason. I welded in the missing piece and replaced two nuts that were stripped.

pedal was drilled and the bracket for spring was nearly worn though.

welded up the holes and fixed the spring tab

does anyone make a replacement plate that goes "around" the pedals inside the cab? (home brake switch removed)

this was on the driver side fender - crushed so I straightged it out, before I go fixing it; do these come with the hole in the middle? looks like someone cut this out but maybe thats how it should be

bent up

straight

is this a dual brake master pedal?
                      Last edited by 8745jack; 08-26-2020, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Nice repair on the pedal tower Jack. For the reinforcement around the pedal towers just buy a top footbox panel and trim it to the correct size. I have a good fender reinforcement if you need one.

Comment

Thank you. Since posted I found the replacement panel at RoversNorth. I'll probably end up buying the driver side panel since the bottom has been cut and has some rust..

add the fender reinforcement to the list

Comment

Today I finally got time to update the thread and get some work done. Recent fires and local evacuations have once again got my county in a disaster. Oroville dam, Camp Fire and now North Complex Fire. AQI (air quality index) at times reached 999 - it didn't go higher because the sensors only go that high

Few weeks ago I picked up a wagon top, rear door and radiator support

got some parts back from powder coating

I got my order in from Rovers North, including rear crossmember, fuel tank mount kit, steering box kit and a bunch of other stuff

today; removed seat box

homemade tank, made from stainless and old tank base, 90% super nice + 10% crap = 100% garbage

then I went on to remove the top and rear box

removed the rest of the crappy exhaust, air tank, misc metal brackets

what parts should I strip from this before I get rid of it ?

Im in the process of rebuilding the steering box. I dont understand what end float of 2-4 lbs means?

Comment

my powdercoating place says they do this color all the time - close enough to Marine Blue?

Comment

Once your steering box is reassembled, the column (without the steering wheel installed) should require 2-4 inch pounds to turn it. If not, add or remove shims (#29 in the photo).

The splined part is what you're turning.

Colin
                                A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                                X