1958 88 Series II - taking the previous owner(s) out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 8745jack View Post
    my powdercoating place says they do this color all the time - close enough to Marine Blue?
    I would say it is!
    1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

my powdercoating place says they do this color all the time - close enough to Marine Blue?
      Looks almost metallic in that light? I think you will find that on the truck it will appear much lighter.
      1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
        The splined part is what you're turning.
        Colin
        what tool do I measure that with ?

Originally posted by rover03 View Post
        I would say it is!

Originally posted by xplorUtah View Post
        Looks almost metallic in that light? I think you will find that on the truck it will appear much lighter.
        Not metallic in real life. Looks like it's what I'll be going with then, makes it easy

started to clean up the frame. Plan is to get it running and driving and THEN at some point strip everything and get the frame powder coated. I get really good deals with my local place and from what I hear galvanizing is expensive and not that nice around here... thoughts?

when you're going for bugers

removed - I will go back and fill that small hole - not caused by rust but by poor weld quality
        is the welded on nut toward the rear crossmember factory or added on for some reason?

passenger rear - front spring hanger.

after Is this how the hanger should look? - not counting the zirk fitting

NUTS ARE FOR SUCKERS

coming soon
        Last edited by 8745jack; 09-17-2020, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Nice progress. Looks like lots of opportunity to hone your 4 1/2" grinder skills.

Comment

what tool do I measure that with ?
            I would run the steering wheel nut on and use an inch pound torque wrench. But honestly the 2-4 inch pounds is so low I don't know if the torque wrench would pick it up.

Someone smarter than me could tell you how far from center to hang a weight off a wrench to duplicate 3 inch pounds of torque.

Colin
            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by cnfowler View Post
              I would run the steering wheel nut on and use an inch pound torque wrench. But honestly the 2-4 inch pounds is so low I don't know if the torque wrench would pick it up.

Someone smarter than me could tell you how far from center to hang a weight off a wrench to duplicate 3 inch pounds of torque.
              Colin
              yeah probably not much at all - in the few videos I watched, guys would just spin it. "feels fine" isn't a measurement... so probably just like wheel bearings

air has been better here and Im slowly catching up on projects

before

after (the oil pressure sensor came with a copper washer AND a rubber washer, I never heard of using two. Is this a LR thing or I use one or the other?)

PO even "shimmed" up some random fuel pump

I replaced the rubber bed insulators

after

can anyone help me verify the frame measurements - the rear cross member has been heavily modified so I cant trust the measurements ... I found this http://womerlippi.blogspot.com/2017/...over-rear.html
              but not sure how accurate. I will be putting the bed on and off but the less of a guessing game the better

Thanks

started to zink plate some of the steering box and pedal parts
              top right is what they looked like before

Comment

Got my extra front piece back from sandblasting and the two wheels back from powdercoating
                lots of bondo/filler still to be removed from the front piece

turns out the whole rear crossmember was home made.

layers of steel welded but never treated so there was lots of rust, thankfully the frame inside has only surface rust

I cut everything off from the rear of the shackles and started to fit the replacement crossmember. Im almost ready to weld it on, just a few more cuts and better prep for welding. I should have time to do this tomorrow

Comment

Nice progress. Shiny parts always help morale on projects like this.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                    Nice progress. Shiny parts always help morale on projects like this.
                    Thanks, Im always happy to get parts back from PC. SO NICE

finished modifying the "bumper" to get welded

installed it with clamps and all the bolts to make final adjustments

tack welded it in place

then took the bed off and started to weld everything up

passenger side is all done

Once the rear is all welded up. Im going to straighten out the rear tub a bit, install it and put the roof back on.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Looking good! Just so you know, that is called the rear crossmember.
                        gene
                        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

“Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.”
                        ― James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                          Nice work!
                          Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
                          Looking good! Just so you know, that is called the rear crossmember.

Thanks.
                          ....For sure but I must have got tired of typing it out

Driver side is now done too. I painted everything up and installed the tub, even gave it some wax

Comment

minor updates

been working on the pedal assemblies, like SeriesGuy said there's lots wrong ways the pins go into the pedal pivots
                            Now I just need to get remaining hardware for the cover plates. Does anyone make new gaskets or do I have to try and make new ones?

cleaned up the filler neck and plated all the hardware

installed the lock latch. Should I get the fuel cap painted silver or black ?

I cut the homemade battery trey. Scored one on flebay, will be using it as a template

fixed some holes and cracks in the floor supports. Dropped them off at powdercating

Cut the bumper off and the winch plate. Does anyone make just the front frame part with the bolt inserts, All I can find are ones that come with the hangers

Advanced to the next level of Rover ownership - cement mixer fuel tank cleanout. Afterwards I poured some rust remover and Im waiting for it to clean everything out then I'm going to use POR fuel tank sealer

and I found a picture showing back of the wheel that came with the truck. Guy made his own centers

Comment

I am most impressed with the fuel tank cleaner.....genius!!

It's coming along nicely and looking good.
                              - Rover Owner

Comment

Nice progress. Fuel cap should be silver. You can make your own tower gaskets out of rubber roofing material or buy new. I'm sure the usual suppliers have them. I've always found it way easier to use the pre built front frame horns. The spring hangers help with alignment.

Comment

Working...
                                X