No announcement yet.

1958 88 Series II - taking the previous owner(s) out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disassembled and started cleaning rear axle.

ORIGINAL rust proofing

pressure washed

what year would this be from?

I frequent the local scrap yard, few days ago I found some "blitz" gas cans. $5 each, no rust inside. They'll go nicely with a NATO tank I already own

Comment

Some nice work, but unless you don't put fuel in them you just threw away $10. I had those type, couldn't get them to not leak even with a prybar on the cap. NATO style is the only way to go for fuel storage. Sorry I'm usually not so negative but I feel strongly on this.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

“Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.”
      ― James Dean

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
        Some nice work, but unless you don't put fuel in them you just threw away $10. I had those type, couldn't get them to not leak even with a prybar on the cap. NATO style is the only way to go for fuel storage. Sorry I'm usually not so negative but I feel strongly on this.
        You know, my dad used this type for years, he always made gaskets out of old inner tubes, they never leaked.
        Visit my store to get your Rover T-Shirts!
        Like us on FaceBook: Andy the Landy Store on Facebook
        Protagonist of the YCHJCYA5DDTMMHF Club PM me for how to join

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help. ' "
        Ronald Reagan

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I had a few of these over the years but I don’t remember having issues with them. They sell like hot cakes when redone. If I don’t like them for whatever reason I’ll just flip them. I went down the rabbit hole of Jerrycans the other night... LET ME TELL YOU
          https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan

The cap on USA version is designed to be interchangeable with 50gal drum caps.

Comment

My experience with this style was in the 70's and 80's I had 2. My first trip they were inside, then they HAD to be mounted on the rear door of my 88 on those cool Cepek mounts. When going to the Black Rock desert I would fill them in Gerlach and hit the outback. I learned that the jostleing would cause them to leak out around the cap. So I used a long screwdriver to tighten the cap. That slowed the leak. Also they would leak when full in the hot sun. These were brand new cans, with what? 3/16" rubber gaskets.
            Sure I kept them and used them since nothing else was available back then.
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

“Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.”
            ― James Dean

Comment

Not a big update but I feel like I reached a milestone - well maybe 1/4 mile. Bumper is on and bolted up!

passenger side before paint and drilled out extra hole

driver side front frame - I started by drilling out a hole

eventually was able to get in there with a Sawzall

tight space and I cleaned up most of it, ended up looking like the passenger side. I added the same spacers and welded everything up

painted and ready for a bumper - (I drenched the inside with lots of paint)

bolted up using grade 8 hardware

My poly bushings came in from UK. around a $100 shipped for the whole kit with some extra gaskets I ordered
              Last edited by 8745jack; 02-26-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

small update

This weekend we went to Carson City Nv to pick up some furniture, on the way there I saw a CR ad
                ended up picking up a very nice seat box. .... just as I was close to having all the paint removed from my original one

Yesterday; I removed the rear axle and springs.

Today; I decided to wirewheel the undercoating from the rear frame

It didnt taste like asbestos

I also removed one of the bushings yesterday

Comment

Where did you get your marston mats? Or are they aluminum? Looks handy. And original.

Comment

Originally posted by Hightower View Post
                    Where did you get your marston mats? Or are they aluminum? Looks handy. And original.
                    Got them at my local scrap yard, where I tend to bring more things home than I take to dump. They're the original steel ones. I always wanted some.

So my powder coating place was in a desperate need of help (one guy didnt show up and was just unreliable) so I asked if I can help..
                    Last few days I got a bunch of my stuff blasted and ready for powder... Owner is super happy and so am I. Bulkhead is almost blasted all the way. Rear leaf springs are about 1/2 done, they take FOREVER
                    It's a very strange feeling walking into a 30ft deep oven at 425F for a few seconds

and YES you can blast the seat box.... I was wrong. I took it home to straighten it out

I started to install the winch

and installed some hangers, used SuperLube on the poly bushings. I need to plate all the hardware

Last edited by 8745jack; 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

Just a personal concern here.

I notice that your jack stands are sitting on bricks. That would make me very nervous as they are prone to collapsing. I certainly wouldn’t be prepared to get underneath it.

Here we use solid wood blocks which are much more stable.

Cheers,

Neil
                      Last edited by S3ute; 03-07-2021, 02:03 PM.
                      Hon Secretary - Series Landy Owners Inc (SLOw) Aust.

Comment

Working...
                      X