1965 - 109 IIA - Misc. Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1965 - 109 IIA - Misc. Projects

I have a few projects that I will be doing to the 109 over the next several weeks/months. Most of it is just personal preference and a few upgrades.

First thing got knocked out today with Custom Exhaust. I will run the truck off road at my hunt club a good bit and exhaust was below the frame in most places. I felt like I might rip it off at any moment. I also changed it up quite a bit and went from a true dual exhaust to a single muffler with two exit pipes. I decided on a Magnaflow system as I think they sound really good with the V8 and keep it from being obnoxious.

We went to a 2" system as opposed to whatever it was before (smaller).

Anyway, I am pretty pleased.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

- Rover Owner

Next up on the list is a new Speedometer.

The Stock one is not hooked up and is certainly not going to work with the current gearing. I really liked that VDO GPS speedometer I put into my 200, but they discontinued that line of gauge and it was impossible to find. I ended up custom ordering one from Speedhut and they make them to order.

You can pick background, lighting options, needle option, font, etc.... They say it takes three to four weeks to get, but I got mine in two weeks.

It's pretty sweet and I will start to put it in today.

- Rover Owner

Comment

Pretty easy install and picked up the satellite in just a few seconds.

I like this gauge better because of the features if anyone might be considering one. I has a magnetic antenna which is really nice and also has a compass feature, elevation mode, several speed features and will also show speed in a digital format.

It's for sure a nicer gauge than the VDO.

- Rover Owner

Comment

That is a good looking Series.
        1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor View Post
          Pretty easy install and picked up the satellite in just a few seconds.

I like this gauge better because of the features if anyone might be considering one. I has a magnetic antenna which is really nice and also has a compass feature, elevation mode, several speed features and will also show speed in a digital format.

It's for sure a nicer gauge than the VDO.

Link? is that the same one Harvey(Bioheat) runs?
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Man, love this truck. Well done.
            GPS speedos are great when combined with a Dakota digital box if you ever decide to Retrofit EFI to an older vehicle that has a manual trans.
            Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
              Link? is that the same one Harvey(Bioheat) runs?
              https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR4-G...dometer-120mph

Here is what you start with and then select options. Pretty much anything you want.

Originally posted by Xplitive View Post
              Man, love this truck. Well done.
              GPS speedos are great when combined with a Dakota digital box if you ever decide to Retrofit EFI to an older vehicle that has a manual trans.

They really are, Ive become a big fan. I am seriously considering a sniper kit, but have a few other items first before I dive into that. Rejeep got my wheels turning with EFI.
              - Rover Owner

Comment

Man, thanks for sharing this! I was about to install my old speedo (knowing it wasn't going to read right, and just live with it). But just ordered one with the built in tach. Looks sweet and now I won't have to fish that darn speedo cable along the frame!

Side bar, how do you like those tires? I picked up a set from RN a while back and was going to use them on my next build (61' 109).
                There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post
                  Man, thanks for sharing this! I was about to install my old speedo (knowing it wasn't going to read right, and just live with it). But just ordered one with the built in tach. Looks sweet and now I won't have to fish that darn speedo cable along the frame!

Side bar, how do you like those tires? I picked up a set from RN a while back and was going to use them on my next build (61' 109).
                  I have only put couple hundred miles on them; so far they are just fine. They look a little tiny on this truck with the Disco axles, military shackles and parabolic springs. I ordered BFG/MT's in 255/85 and am getting them put on in the morning. No complaints on the current ride capability, just prefer a mud tire in a little larger size.

I wish I would have gotten the tach feature on mine as well, but I guess I just wanted something that "looked" more original........which is hilarious considering the truck.

Todays project was changing the electric fan and adding a fan controller. Pusher fans are not easy to find in stock anywhere, so I ordered a reversible fan from flex-a-lite. Flipped the blades over and wired it backwards.

The current fan was on an on/off switch which I think worked perfect in a colder climate. I was not confident in my ability to keep a constant watch on the temp gauge to turn it on.....especially when we have plenty of 100 degree days. I ordered a flex-a-lite fan controller and it's pretty slick. Obviously it is adjustable, but it also has the ability to add a manual override switch so that I can still turn it on anytime I want.

- Rover Owner

Comment

Looks very good! Speedhut gauges are on my radar as well. They have some nicer, lower MPH and RPM gauges I'm keen on. I think they have a 4 combo gauge I'm interested in.

Great truck overall!!

Comment

I had the tires put on this morning and got home from work tonight and the new Exmoor top was on the doorstep. A Side Window 109 Top is apparently not easy to find, but I got lucky and RN happened to have one extra from a shipment they just got. Otherwise, it was a months long back order.

Tire guys used an impact on the wheels and jacked them up which really pisses me off. I need to fix them somehow. I also need to mount the spare tire back......the new tire width made the bolts too short, so I ordered some longer ones.

Anyway, here we are:

- Rover Owner

Comment

Fantastic!
                        1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor View Post
                          Tire guys used an impact on the wheels and jacked them up...
                          And that's why I never let those guys mount my wheels. I take them two rims and tires at a time. I mount them. I've changed out too many wheel studs... also being stuck on the side of the road with a blown tire and one lug nut that won't come off sucks too.

Top looks fantastic! That's the one I think I'm going to go with on mine.

I'd like to see some side skirts on the Rover, even if only the short S3 ones. I think it completes the look somehow.

I like the tires, but I'd be afraid of body interference with the offset of the rims you have. I think I'd figure a way to get them a little more inboard.
                          There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post
                            And that's why I never let those guys mount my wheels. I take them two rims and tires at a time. I mount them. I've changed out too many wheel studs... also being stuck on the side of the road with a blown tire and one lug nut that won't come off sucks too.

Top looks fantastic! That's the one I think I'm going to go with on mine.

I'd like to see some side skirts on the Rover, even if only the short S3 ones. I think it completes the look somehow.

I like the tires, but I'd be afraid of body interference with the offset of the rims you have. I think I'd figure a way to get them a little more inboard.

I know, it’s irritating that they did that. I am going to try and correct the paint if I can get a rattle can of it somehow.

My plan is to make a set of sliders for it, I have just not had time to go and get the material. It’s next on my list of stuff to do.

The tire stick out is a because of the discovery axles and not the offset of the wheel, I don’t think there is much to do there. The plus is that the tires don’t rub anything inboard on the truck. The negative is that they do stick out a little bit. The 7.5x16 tires hung out the side probably an inch or so. These are just a touch more, but are also a tiny bit taller. I am going to put the front tire on a jack tonight and see what happens. My thought is that it will articulate inwards enough to miss anything. We shall see.
                            - Rover Owner

Comment

Looks amazing!!
                              Sean
                              Denver, CO
                              1971 Series IIA Dormobile (The Original RTT)

Comment

Working...
                              X