No announcement yet.

1965 - 109 IIA - Misc. Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered an in-tank fuel pump some time ago as I posted here several pages back. I’m having a long range tank fabricated and was waiting until it got complete before I messed around with the new fuel pump.

Well, yesterday...the POS fuel pump that came with the kit kicked the bucket. I really can’t believe that you spend that much money on a Fuel Injection Kit and Holley supplies the biggest piece of garbage fuel pump on the planet. It screamed since day one and yesterday left me on the side of the road.

Today I went ahead and installed the retro fit pump into the stock tank. I’ll swap it out once I install the long range tank later.

It’s pretty straightforward, but the bracket and fuel hoses are too short for a stock Land Rover Tank. Holley makes a longer pump hanger and longer fuel hoses, so if someone does this in the future, make sure to order that with your kit (or do what I did).

I had extra Holley fuel tubing from something else I was working on and all I needed was a longer pump hanger. The one that Holley sends with the kit is nothing but a piece of aluminum. They wanted $60 for theirs, so I decided to just fabricate my own. I bought a thick piece of flat stock and drilled and tapped it (8-32) to fit the Holley fuel pump, it cost me a couple of bucks vs. $60.

Anyway, after figuring out where I wanted it, I drilled a 3.25” hole and got my depths set up right. I installed new gaskets and blanking plates over the stock holes in the tank and proceeded to install the Holley Kit.

100% better than before. You can barely hear the fuel pump prime at start up and once started you cannot hear anything............It is as quiet as can be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CE68E3E1-5B12-43D2-B796-A28D430A5F24.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	190670

Name:	DD31C238-DD48-45B8-9B7F-C2ECECE42692.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	190671

Name:	00DF7243-D29B-4EF1-91BA-2C2D99E8E68C.jpeg
Views:	458
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	190672

Name:	E8D807CC-2E28-419B-B6ED-0B9D285B7721.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	190673

Name:	2AC090FB-381D-4803-8D10-A4DE89425CBA.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	190674
    - Rover Owner

Comment

• Late to this thread. Awesome trailer and fuel system fix!

I really like the rear tanks on 109's for the added capacity.
      There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

• Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post
        Late to this thread. Awesome trailer and fuel system fix!

I really like the rear tanks on 109's for the added capacity.
        I have a rear tank that I have thought about installing. I’m just not in love with two fuel filler necks based purely on cosmetics. It definitely makes the most sense as the long range tank really only gets you two more gallons, which in this truck is pretty much nothing.
        - Rover Owner

Comment

• Just came across this thread while searching for info on the Alcan springs I want to put on my 88 after I get my lifting roof figured out. Glad to see that winch went to a worthy truck! I want to do a similar control panel for my 8274 because it just looks so good on a Series dash. Initially I was thinking of using period Lucas switches, but the polished handles really set it off, I might have to figure something else out.
          1960 SII 88" Soft Top, 2.25L, not particularly original with period upgrades.

Comment

• I went to a friend of mines shop today and we made a long range tank. It took us about 10 hours, but I think it turned out really well. Mark (SafeAir) shared his drawing with me which gave us a baseline. We deviated quite a bit and decided to absolutely maximize the space available. We ended up with just over 15 gallons of capacity.

We used 1/4" Aluminum for the entire tank, so it's pretty stout.

I moved some of the holes around so that they worked better with the in tank fuel pump for my Sniper.

We could of made the tank out of two pieces of aluminum and that was our intent, but when breaking the top section we started talking and ended up breaking it backwards. Stupid mistake that put the holes for the vent and fill on the wrong side of the tank. We even had it written in big bold letters, but still screwed up...lol. That's why it's cut apart in the picture and the top is welded in sections.

Anyway, here are some pictures of what we ended up with.

I am very happy with the capacity and as my Sniper learns my fuel mileage improves. When I drove to Uwharrie last weekend I averaged 15MPG so this tank should give me a 225+ Mile range on the highway.

- Rover Owner

Comment

• Nice work. I'm pretty sure SOP is screwing up your own stuff.

Comment

• Sweet! I think my tank is somewhere around 14.5-15 gal. At 22mpg some 300mille range. + the 12 in my stock tank.......
                gene
                1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

• Awesome, awesome! But 1/4"!? Good god man, you would have been fine with half that thickness!

I had these folks make up a rear tank to my specs. 1/8" aluminum ;-) They made my radiator also.
                  (I did have them double the thickness at the flanges so there would be ample thread engagement.)
                  https://www.fsrproducts.com/
                  There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

• Yeah, we had already cut up the sheet of 1/4" so we just kept going. 1/4" on the bottom and 1/8" everywhere else is what I would do if we were going to make a bunch of them. I believe that is what the plans I have show anyway.
                    - Rover Owner

Comment

• Did you baffle it internally?

Comment

• I did not, I think if I were going to significantly increase the size of the tank, then I would of put the baffle in. I just did not see how the few extra gallons I added would make a significant difference and require a baffle. May be wrong though.....who knows.
                        - Rover Owner

Comment

• I banged up my tied rod and steering linkage pretty good several weeks ago and need to upgrade to something more substantial. I ordered the kit from RN for a Disco, understanding I would really only be able to use the tie bar. Power Steering, disco axles etc. mean that drag link/steering bar are custom.

I actually had a couple of left over HD steering bars and took a stab at welding two to make one.

I cut the ends off of both of them (left and right thread) and spliced them together. Either end got a really deep bevel and welded together and then a pipe sleeve was installed over the weld and welded again on either end (multiple passes actually).

While I have 100% confidence in the weld it would be nice to have a single custom steering bar and I could use the one I have now as a spare.

Where can I order a custom length of solid bar or DOM that is threaded to my spec on either end to accept a Discovery Tie Rod end? The issue that I keep running into is that the Discovery axles have 11/16 - 16 TPI which is a very strange combination.

I basically need a custom length piece of solid bar drilled and tapped LH and RH to accept an 11/16” x 16TPI tie rod end (which I have).

I could likely fabricate the entire thing myself, but ordering direct seems way easier.

Thanks.........Here is what I have now:

Name:	F0BC1ECA-CB6D-46C7-9E98-9EBCB5ACEF5D.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	193099

Name:	FE28C206-3B48-4AD9-8159-C105B7785071.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	193100
                          - Rover Owner

Comment

• While I understand the desire for a stronger tierods it is my understanding that it is easier to straighten the weaker ones in the field if they get bent. ?
                            gene
                            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

• Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
                              While I understand the desire for a stronger tie rods it is my understanding that it is easier to straighten the weaker ones in the field if they get bent. ?
                              Hello from Brisbane.

Reminds me of a fateful night back in the 70's. I was spotlight shooting foxes on the farm with my brother in our 86" when we hit a stump hidden in the long grass. It took out both steering links with the front wheels virtually staring inwards at each other on full lock.

Walked home as we were stuck on top of a very steep ridge and couldn't maneuver off it with the stuffed steering. Went back in the daylight with a spanner and removed the rods and bent them back in the fork of a tree. Worked a treat and apart from a check on the alignment it stayed that way for years afterwards.

Cheers,

Neil
                              Last edited by S3ute; 06-03-2021, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• Perhaps, but I guess my mindset is I would rather not have to straighten one at all. What I posted a picture of is solid bar and not DOM tubing, I think it has a pretty low likelihood of getting bent. Whatever I end up with will have to be custom regardless of whether or not it's HD. This would be a ridiculously simple exercise if LR used a more common TPI on their TRE's like 18, I could build my own in an hour or so with 100's of parts available on the internet.
                                - Rover Owner

Comment

Working...
                                X