'69 IIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '69 IIA

Started stripping down this afternoon. Plenty of good stuff to keep me amused for a few months. Planning to get the it down to a rolling chassis for the time being and work on pieces as time permits.

Looks like a great project! I like the larger NADA yellow turn signals. They are apparently valuable to Series 3 restorers.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Looks like fun!
      But I'm confused. You said you gave away the 88 frame to someone else... So this is another 88 you started on, but it has a good frame?
      There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post
        Looks like fun!
        But I'm confused. You said you gave away the 88 frame to someone else... So this is another 88 you started on, but it has a good frame?
        This one has a pretty decent frame but I'm probably going with a new galvanized one when funds permit. When I brought the other one home and was pondering whether it was worth the time and effort my wife suggested I get a new one. Who am I to argue? My friend who ended up with the first frame has much more experience with welding and fabrication than I do. He'll patch it up and get several years out of it while he saves for a new one.

Comment

Is it a bugeye?
          1968 Series 2a, 88
          1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

Keep us posted. This looks like a great project, and you have the space for such an undertaking. Someday I'm going to remove my rear tub...

Comment

Originally posted by lumpydog View Post
              Is it a bugeye?
              I thought all 1969 IIA's were bugeyes but not this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	192620

Comment

Great looking project.

Your marine blue truck also looks really nice. Would love to see some more pics of it.

Comment

Originally posted by worldofinflation View Post
                  Great looking project.

Your marine blue truck also looks really nice. Would love to see some more pics of it.
                  The green '71 in the background was a fairly complete rebuild. The mostly blue '66 was done as cheaply as possible using parts and pieces from well over a dozen cars of various vintages. In fact the fenders and doors came from a '67 NADA 6 109 I had years ago. I tend to use the blue one as more of a woods buggy/winter beater. If you are interested go back about 15 pages in Current Projects and look for 'Sow's Ear.'

Name:	Rvrs.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	192636

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D View Post

I thought all 1969 IIA's were bugeyes but not this one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plate.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	192620
                    Yep. I used to think the same but I've seen a number of late 69s that had the headlight integration sorted - vs sticking the original style ones on the wings (which is a great look too).

She was originally red!!! Looking forward to reading more!
                    1968 Series 2a, 88
                    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

With a manufacture date of 12-69 that should really be a 1970 model.

Comment

Almost all stripped down.

Name:	Stripped.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	192686

Comment

Jeez, ya got elves that come out at night?
                          gene
                          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

I’m thinking that the assembly might take just a bit longer. Nice progress!

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
                              Jeez, ya got elves that come out at night?
                              Stripping the bulkhead took longer than the rest. Most of the seatbox and tub bolts were missing and none of them put up much of a fight. So far the only bolt I've had to cut was a dash mounted snowplow control.

Comment

Working...
                              X