No announcement yet.

Blimey, a 62 IIa 88" rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

​​​Well the snow melted and having tackled many other small projects it was time to get back to Rover stuff.

Currently working on the front axle. Have disassembled one side and cleaning it up.

Still using my battery charger de-rust tank.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220523_224249259.MP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.9 KB ID:	202976 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220526_230238275.MP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.9 KB ID:	202977 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220529_231621998.MP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	222.3 KB ID:	202978
    Last edited by 64osby; 05-30-2022, 08:53 AM.
    Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

One issue discovered was the hub seal race was loose and could be removed by pulling it up with my fingers. Have to see if the spare axle might have a good donor part.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220529_213503703.MP.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	202980

Comment

I ended up finding a NOS hub seal race in my limited spare parts extras stash. I've apparently had this for about 25 years.

Having recently watched a Geoffrey Crocker video on front axle rebuilding I knew exactly what to do. A little heat and the race slipped right on, unlike his video.

Name:	PXL_20220530_193733107.MP.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	202989

Waiting on a box with seals and gaskets to put one side back together.

Slowly moving forward.

Comment

Making progress slowly. Second side of the front is ready for reassembly. It had blown a seal and had at least a quarter inch of gunk everywhere.

My better half found a mobile clothing rack that I modified and use as a drying and prep station. A great addition to my carport work station. Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220725_230425377.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.2 KB ID:	204243 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220726_021340974.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.7 KB ID:	204244

Comment

With some help from my son and some of his able body friends we should have a rolling chassis by Saturday!

Comment

That's a big victory. It's also a nice morale booster getting to see such a large chunk of Rover assembled.

Comment

Exciting stuff, hope you have a roller soon!
                gene
                1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Hit a snag today. The retainer collar on the axle is bad. Pulled the spare axle and it's not much better.

This is probably why this side was such a mess inside.

Have ordered a new collar.

Question for the wise one's, does this collar install like the collar on the hubs, split off and heat on? Or is this a press fit? Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220726_212215166.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.5 KB ID:	204266

Comment

Found a video from steamwally that shows the retainer collar replacement. Should be able to handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
                      Hit a snag today. The retainer collar on the axle is bad. Pulled the spare axle and it's not much better.
                      Question for the wise one's, does this collar install like the collar on the hubs, split off and heat on? Or is this a press fit?
                      I ground mine off with an angle grinder then split the last remaining bit with a cold chisel (careful not to score the axle shaft). I heated the new ones and fit quickly before cooling down. I had to use a long pipe to get one of them all the way down.

Comment

Removed the collar tonight, ground it down and then used a cold chisel. Came off in one piece pretty easy. Just waiting on the replacement.

Wish all issues were this easy.

Comment

Never say that until the job is complete.

Comment

Name:	PXL_20220730_155533812.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	204356
                            My three legged dog.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                              Never say that until the job is complete.
                              The collar did not just drop on! Imagine that. Tried to convince it to go on with no luck. Did some work on my better half's vehicle. Came back after everything had cooled down and was able to motivate it into position. Fun stuff.

Finished up getting the fourth leg back together after dinner on Saturday.

Name:	PXL_20220801_233133395.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	204433
                              Everything is still loose on until it gets a little weight on it.

Comment

Is it possible to pull the engine and transmission as one unit?

Would like to pull it from the old frame while leaving the bulkhead in place. Then do the bulkhead repairs before moving it over to the newer frame.

Comment

Working...
                                X