Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64osby
    replied
    Winter weather looks like it is finally showing up here in Michigan. I decided it might be a good time to put my radiator cover in place.

Winter is coming!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240107_233500229.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	219452

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Winter boots and my long legs have been an issue that I have had for many years. The distance between the clutch pedal and the steering wheel is about the same as my knee to the sole of my shoe. I was 6' 4" but am probably starting to get shorter.

When wearing thin soles operating the clutch pedal is not an issue. Winter boots it is a tight fit. I moved the dip switch to a dash switch because of this issue.

I decided to modify the seat back to see if it would make any difference in drivability. I have seen a few others here make mods to their seats.

I had all the materials in hand. A blank of thick panel, deuce and a half seat foam from years ago, non matching vinyl.

Spent a couple hours laying everything out and a couple hours cutting sewing and installing.

Name:	PXL_20231210_011823451.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	218526

Name:	PXL_20231210_011836420.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	218527

Name:	PXL_20231210_021020526.jpg
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	218528

Name:	PXL_20231210_022817115.jpg
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	218529

I have not gone for a test drive yet. It does allow my hips and ars to sit back about 2-3" further. Will have to see if this makes any difference in drivability when wearing hunting or winter boots.

Winter is coming!

Leave a comment:

• lforgue8
    replied
    Originally posted by 64osby View Post

Don't hurry, do it right. You will have a better outcome.
    That’s my plan!

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Originally posted by lforgue8 View Post
    64osby, great build and love the rugged look but mechanically sound (relatively speaking). Hope mine gets there soon
    Don't hurry, do it right. You will have a better outcome.

In the middle of my thread I had posted the clutch master looked good. I just ended up rebuilding it. It would have been so much easier to do when everything was removed. Lesson learned, but will I actually remember it.

Leave a comment:

• lforgue8
    replied
    64osby, great build and love the rugged look but mechanically sound (relatively speaking). Hope mine gets there soon

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    I went hunting this morning. It was pretty cold, 17 degrees to start the day.

Stayed out until 10:30 and made it back to Blimey. When I tried to start it I let some magic smoke out from the starter button.

I tried to crank start it but had no love.

I was parked on the edge of a corn field with lots of sandy soil. There was a pitch down but it wouldn't roll on by itself. Had to push it about three feet where it was able to roll down the pitch slowly. Dropped the clutch and it fired right away.

Then it died. The fuel pump was shut off.

Round two worked better as the fuel pump was now on.

Made it home and started digging in. This what I found.

Name:	PXL_20231125_195120349.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	218143

Name:	PXL_20231125_201858203.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	218144

The lug must have been loose or corroded is my best guess. It basically burnt off. The nut on the lug was brazed on. It was able to be removed after a bit of work.

I quickly looked up a new cable on RN, they wanted $46. Drove to a local parts store and picked up a 32" cable for half the price.

I was very happy to get it all back together and the switch tested great on the ohm meter.

Made it out for a couple hours more of hunting. I saw 13 Doe in the AM, could have shot three of those really easy, but no Doe tag in hand. In the afternoon the only thing I saw were four turkeys that ended up going to roost in some pine trees.

It was an interesting day.

Winter is coming.

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Thanks Gene!

Leave a comment:

• loose gravel
    replied
    That does look tidy with the cover on!

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
    I made the rear of the wing top removeable for just such jobs. In my blog there is how I did one side; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2013/...-fittment.html
    Yours looks great!

About 20 years ago I was trying to adjust the clutch master with the full wing in place. What a pain in the arse.

I had a crumpled wing from hitting a deer that thought it was a good idea to jump out as I was driving down a two lane highway. The deer lost, but it cost the insurance company a few $.

I decided to cut a hole in the good wing to allow easier access to the clutch master. The crumpled wing was used to form a cover over the hole.

Name:	PXL_20221213_025241452.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	217712
    It works good for me. I have thought of making the hole larger as there is room.

Leave a comment:

• loose gravel
    replied
    I made the rear of the wing top removeable for just such jobs. In my blog there is how I did one side; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2013/...-fittment.html

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Back in July I found a nice set of new shoes for Blimey. Last weekend they were mounted. Heading to the shop pic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20231104_150325901.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	217699

During the work it was noted that the LH rear bearing was a little loose. The RH was leaking grease at the hub seal.

Yesterday I hopefully addressed the hub seal on the RH side. Today I tightened the LH bearing up.

After the work I thought it would be proper to take a test drive. It happened to be a dusk. Everything felt great and it seemed to roll smooth.

While cresting a rise, doing about 35, a yearling bolted out in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and missed it. At least I felt nothing as it was so close I could not see it over the hood.

Immediately after that I could hear a shhh...shhh...shhh noise. If I applied the brakes the noise would go away.

Will have to dig into it to see what might be going on.

Trying to get this ready.

Winter is coming.

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    On the road again.

The lower MC attachment bolt is tricky to get back on and tight. Also getting the line out threaded back on was slow. Had a union nut split between the reservoir and the MC, did not expect that. A quick trip to parts store solved that.

It is pretty tight working space but worked out in the end.

Name:	PXL_20231028_183229543.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	217245

A couple cover plates to put back on after testing it for a bit to make sure everything is tight.

Winter is coming.

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    Off the road again.

The clutch master started leaking down the petal. Still drove fine, but figured it would be smart to fix it now.

Winter is coming.

Last night I was able to pull the MC without removing the wing. I found a rebuild kit in my limited stock. Cleaned everything up and the MC is back together. Hopefully in good as new condition.

Now to see if the MC can be reinstalled without removing the wing. Wish me luck.

Leave a comment:

• loose gravel
    replied
    YAY!

Leave a comment:

• 64osby
    replied
    The new wheel cylinder arrived today. Decided leftovers were good for dinner and installed the new part.

It is a Xxitpart but it looks so much better than the one installed prior. Made in Spain might be the key factor here.

The prior one had a large casting ridge on the underside where the crack was present. Not sure where it was made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230909_145953456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.8 KB ID:	216215

This one is much better looking. It doesn't have the large casting ridge on the backside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230920_231324701.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.3 KB ID:	216216

Blimey is on the road again!
    Last edited by 64osby; 09-21-2023, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X