Rocky, a '64 109

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky, a '64 109

I acquired a sand colored 109 station wagon that the title lists as a 1964 but I think it is earlier than that. It was located in Colorodo (hence my kids naming it Rocky) and a friend had known about it and set up the purchase. I was going to live the dream; fly out, do some repairs ( I was told it was good to go but had no brakes), and drive it home to Pennsylvania with 1-3 of my kids. The math of time and money caused me to see the light and I decided to have it shipped. Fortunately my place of employment had recently purchased a large manlift in California and the rover was able to hitch a ride at half price! And so begins the adventure! Plans are to get it going and more importantly stopping, then drive it with the family to some of our favorite camping spots.
    '64 Series IIA 109

My 9-y.o. sons friend: This is a nice jeep.
    My son: It is NOT a jeep, it is a Land Rover. It is more capable than a jeep.

'64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Nice! What engine is in that?
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Upon initial inspection I discovered about 1/4" of sediment in the bowl of very bad smelling gas. So to start I dropped the tank and found the pick-up sock gone. I'm in the process of cleaning and coating the tank with Red-kote. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210821_114132.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	196699 Meanwhile I disassembled, cleaned, and rebuilt the carb. While messing with the linkage I found the bushing that is welded to the support bracket was no longer welded. So a quick weld and paint job and it was a much better pedal feel. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210828_103849.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	196700
        I Dropped the fuel line in can of clean gas and it runs much better now. It still has a little stutter when you press the accelerator but I think I have to work in the new cup in the accelerator pump.
        '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
          Nice! What engine is in that?
          Thanks! It is a 2.25 petrol.
          '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

My kid likes to put my driveway rocks in jars so he got the job of putting a bunch of rocks in the tank to swish around with some Simple Green and water. I suspended the tank to make it a little easier to shake. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211005_173926.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	196704
            It took awhile to make sure all the rocks were out. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211012_094535.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	196705
            I used the wife's hair dryer to dry out the inside. Now if I can get the kids in bed it it is ready for an acetone washing then coat it tonight.
            '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Got the tank Red-koted last night. It is by no means even coverage, but I think I avoided puddles as the instructions said. It looks like it pulled away from some corners making me think the acetone did not get all the water out. I'll let it cure for a good two weeks or so. After that I'll decide if I want a second coat of Redkote. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211014_082009.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	196735
              '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

If anyone is curious, I used two quarts of the Redkote and got one back out.
                '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Like I said, this rover came from Colorado and is essentially rust-free. I'd like to keep it that way despite all of Penn-DOTs best efforts. I don't have time or funds for a frame off and galvanize it so I am going with Fluid Film. I figured I would do that while the tank is out to get a better shot at the rear crossmember and the one that sits above the tank. I am waiting delivery of a cheap gun from Amazon and then I'll rig up a hose to get inside the chassis and anything else I can get it into. As this will be my first time using this stuff, any pointers for applying Fluid film?
                  '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Looks terrific! My frame was full of dirt, nest materials, etc., so it might be worth checking for/cleaning out any gunk before you spray.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I was going to pressure wash the outside before applying the fluid film. We have a small pressure washer snake at work used for cleaning the inside of pipes. I was planning on running that inside the chassis rails to clean them out.
                      '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

If your pickup tube is steel you may want to replace it with stainless or copper. It's pretty easy to solder a new tube on. Look for a Ford F100 pickup tube filter and it will slide on the 5/16 tubing.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was looking for a filter sock. The pickup tube is brass so I should be good.
                          '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

I was excited to get parts in the mail yesterday. Went to rebuild the master cylinder today and rediscovered how dumb I can be. Turns out I ordered the rebuild kit for an 88 not a 109. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211016_101804.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	196798
                            '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Check out corban 35 over fluid film
                              Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

Comment

Working...
                              X