'61 Series 2 109 Station Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '61 Series 2 109 Station Wagon

Hi all. The name is Matt. I'm new to the forum and figured I'd introduce myself through a build thread for my 109. I purchased it from a friend back in November and have been very slowly chipping away at digging into it, and preparing for rejuvenation. The plan is to go through everything and make some usability adjustments where I see fit. Parabolic springs, Holley EFI, Series 3 trans, etc. I'm located in Massachusetts and the 109 is not currently garaged, so progress hasn't been great as I'm not a fan of wrenching in the cold.

I've received the "birth certificate" from the British Motor Museum, and I have what appears to be the original service manual that was bought with the truck, so I've got a decent idea of where the it has been. It was built on March 29, 1961 and shipped out to the US on April 17, 1961. It was sold through the Rover Company in New York City and appears to have spent a lot of its life in New Jersey (The service manual has notes about Paramus, and it appears some previous owners have added their names in the front of the manual). It's quite complete, but needs a lot of love — the engine is seized, most everything needs refreshing, the bulkhead needs minor patching, and the frame needs some patching. The front 4/5 of the frame appear to be in very good shape, but the rear needs some love (rear-most spring hangers and beyond). I'm hoping to patch the original frame instead of spending the ~$5k on a new one, but we'll see how that hashes out as I continue disassembly in the Spring. As of now I've pulled the front body panels from the truck, and have removed the front floor panels.

At this point I'm paused. It's too damn cold to be wrenching in the driveway. For now I'm researching things, and searching for a few things (non-seized 2.25 petrol motor, Series 3 trans) in the run up to March, when I hope the weather shifts for the better. Here are some photos of the 109, and some of my progress...

Click image for larger version  Name:	65799530308__C734FC10-19BB-428B-912F-4B12617CE9EF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.7 KB ID:	199497

Click image for larger version  Name:	66008839139__629E0CC7-222F-41D8-A2C7-86169416F6FB.jpg Views:	0 Size:	166.7 KB ID:	199498

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.9 KB ID:	199499

Click image for larger version  Name:	66181095150__E4915B50-644F-41A8-A16D-5E59DD3A34C2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.1 KB ID:	199500

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5389.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.3 KB ID:	199501

Looks like a great truck to start with. This board is a great resource for a project like yours. Replacing the engine is a good idea as the Series II engines have some peculiarities that make it a little harder to source parts for.

Comment

Thanks! I've heard good things about the board, so that's why I joined. Good to know on the Series 2 engine peculiarities. I've got a line on an engine in Vermont — hoping to hear back on that one soon.

Comment

Welcome! You're practically down the street. I know too well the challenges of working in your driveway in a New England winter. :0
        1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Great looking truck! Are you planning on a full restoration or just getting it back on the road for now?
          There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

That is an awesome 109". Congrats. I would read up on the thread here about the Sniper installs. I was toying with the Sniper idea. However, recent reviews seem less than stellar, but form your own opinion. I am not unconvinced, but reviews and price have me rethinking.

Anyway, congrats again and keep the photos coming!
            1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Originally posted by rover03 View Post
              Welcome! You're practically down the street. I know too well the challenges of working in your driveway in a New England winter. :0
              Thanks! Yeah, not too far down the road. One of these days I'll get a barn built do I can have a nice place to work on my junk, haha.

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post
              Great looking truck! Are you planning on a full restoration or just getting it back on the road for now?
              Thank you! Kind of in between? I'm going to focus on getting it working first, then making it look nicer. I'm not going full resto as I'm going to use it, so I don't want to worry about scratching it, etc.

Originally posted by xplorUtah View Post
              That is an awesome 109". Congrats. I would read up on the thread here about the Sniper installs. I was toying with the Sniper idea. However, recent reviews seem less than stellar, but form your own opinion. I am not unconvinced, but reviews and price have me rethinking.

Anyway, congrats again and keep the photos coming!
              Thanks! I just read through the sniper thread — I still think I'm going to go that way. I'm going to have an all new engine, wiring, etc so I might be able to avoid some of the issues others have seen. Time will tell I guess!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Nice 109!

We are kind of neighbors. I'm in Duxbury, so close enough. Let me know if you need help finding things locally in the Rover world. Happy to loan what Rover specific tools I might have. You'll find that there are maybe half a dozen of us within an hour or two of you on this forum.

Cheers,
                Andy
                ---------------------------------------------------
                '73 S3 88"
                '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Thanks, Andy! My inlaws live in Hanover and I have a Duxbury Oversand pass on my pickup so I know your area relatively well. Cheers!

Comment

Welcome to the gun range! I had Armstrong Tru Tracs on my 88 in the 70's, they were freaking LOUD and performed great off road. Just pick away at the project, don't get in a hurry and burn out.
                    gene
                    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Thanks! The Tru Tracs are extremely dry rotted, so they won't be sticking around. I think I'll be getting new tires AND wheels at some point. And agreed on the burn out. I've had lots of projects over the years ('63 VW Single Cab, '62 Ford Falcon, '71 VW Karmann Ghia, etc) so I've learned a lot about how I can best tackle a project, haha.

Comment

Welcome!! Nice looking project! They're built to be rebuilt. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

Comment

Great looking truck

Comment

Looking forward to this. Welcome aboard.

Colin
                            A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Welcome… there is a thread on here too about peoples garages.. the harbor freight 10x17, when on sale, is a pretty good buy. Just anchor it well, maybe use the S2 engine and trans?
                              Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

Comment

Working...
                              X