Engine and gearboxes back into the truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine and gearboxes back into the truck

My tranny rebuild tread is pretty much over. My 5 Main Bearing Ex MOD engine thread has run its course. I'm continuing here with the work of putting it all back together.

The 5 main bearing engine was hooked up to the hoisting chains last weekend. This morning I had 15 minutes before I had to leave for work, so I hoisted the engine into the truck and let it sit roughly in place. I have to get in there and convince the left side engine mount to mate up with the bracket on the engine. Shouldn't be too hard, but I'll take advice if you have any. I didn't want to try with my "nice" clothes on.

The gearbox is on the bench on. It looks nice and shiny, but I didn't clean it nearly as much as I've seen some of you do. I'm waiting for one stud to arrive so I can mount the overdrive. I'm missing one, which I know I'll never find until the new one arrives. The trans brake will go on after that, and it'll be ready to slide under the truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2382.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	202619
    ---------------------------------------------------
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

Nice progress. I can almost hear it running.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

I can't wait to hear it run! I really want to feel the difference between a worn out engine and a fresh one. The rebuilt tranny will be a new thing to get used to, too.

I checked my work last night, and it looked off. The engine was loosely on the mounts, and was heading towards the driver's side. I knew this was going to happen. I had a choice between two left side engine mounting locations, and I chose the wrong one. I should have measured, but it looked right at the time. There was only one set of holes on the right side of the block.

It was a quick fix, since I hadn't disconnected the hoist yet.

Not sure why there are two options on the block. Maybe it's a 5 main bearing thing?

Anyway, here are the two mounting options. The correct one for your reference is the forward pair (for an 88").

Name:	IMG_2385.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	202642
        '73 S3 88"
        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

OK, so we all know the rule that you can't find the missing part until you buy a new one. Bingo. The studs arrived from Rovah Farm and within a day I discovered where the original one was. It was still attached to the overdrive! It's one of those studs where the nut is captured by the housing of the overdrive. Anyway, the nut froze to the stud, and the stud unscrewed from the housing, leaving them attached to the OD. No big deal, except that I forgot to look for it there. Palm slap to forehead. On the plus side, I cleaned up the shop looking for it.

The gearbox is all buttoned up and ready for engine mounts. My plan is to slide the gearbox under the Rover, move the engine hoist above it through the removed floor boards, and lift it into place. I might have time this week if it rains too hard for outdoor chores (fingers crossed).

Here's the complete box. I added a vent fitting to the Roamerdrive transfer case cover plate. It was the only air space that I had not yet vented. 1/4" plastic tube connects them all and leads to a "dry" place in the bulkhead.

And that's not dirt, it's "patina".

Name:	IMG_2420.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	202749
          '73 S3 88"
          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

That’s not a Roamerdrive. It’s a Fairey. Nice vent job.

Comment

The OD is for sure a Fairey. I was talking about the cover plate that is on the transfer case. It's from Roamerdrive, along with the ribbed aluminum sump cover and dipstick. I didn't explain that very well the first time now did I?
              '73 S3 88"
              '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
                The OD is for sure a Fairey. I was talking about the cover plate that is on the transfer case. It's from Roamerdrive, along with the ribbed aluminum sump cover and dipstick. I didn't explain that very well the first time now did I?
                I caught it. Seriesrover just getting old. '^)
                gene
                1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

That brings up a question. What's the age range of G&N forum members?
                  '73 S3 88"
                  '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Getting old……..I’ve been old.

Comment

Old and older..............
                      gene
                      1960 109 w/ 200TDI

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Kinda what I thought. How about if we only count mental age?
                        '73 S3 88"
                        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Early 40's for me.

Nice progress!
                          There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

67 here, but I don't feel a day over 90.

If you are not careful the truck might soon be running.

Bob

Comment

I thought we had an age poll, the only thread I could find was the Who is older thread; https://www.gunsandrovers.com/forum/...37-who-s-older
                              gene
                              1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Working...
                              X