Trans Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Forester View Post
    Thank you for posting that. I am lucky enough that Matt Browne is letting me go south and work on putting things back together in his shop on Tuesday. That way if I get stuck he will be around. For those of you that don't know the name he is the owner of Overland Engineering and a close friend.
    Jim
    Well Jim, How'd it go? With Matt's tutelage, I'd guess you're bombing around in a fully assembled Rover again?
    1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Hello. Yes to get the bell housing back on is a very tricky step. Patience… and then more patience. The problem for me was getting the main shaft thrust washer and needle roller bearing to stay in the right place as to not fall out as you try to seat the bell housing. Well I assume that is your difficulty. What helped was to take a deep socket that is the same diameter as the trust washer and needle roller bearing. Use the socket to abut to the main shaft. For me as least as I seated the bell housing which also had to get the lay shaft into the lower bearing it all will slide together if you keep the deep socket in place and pull it out of the upper bearing race as things come together. The trust washer and needle roller bearing will not fall out. Well maybe this is not your actual problem but maybe it is and helps. Geoffrey Crocker on YouTube has a good video on this maneuver too. Cheers. Tom

Comment

Came home from Matt's with a gearbox that was back together. Had to repair the top cover that I cracker but JB Weld to the rescue. Reattached the transfercase and put the trans back into the truck. Will continue putting things back together after work tonight. Should have a driveable Rover by Friday night. I will say one of my problems was that the mainshaft was not fully seating into the bearing at the back of the case. Ended up using a press to accomplish that task. I also had the small gear on the endd of the layshaaft on backwards which Matt caught. All in all this has been a true learning experience which I hope not to ever have to repeat.
        Jim
        Last edited by Forester; 09-15-2022, 03:22 PM.
        64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Finally got everything back in the Rover today. Took it for a short trip and all seems good. Glad to have that behind me.
          Jim
          64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
            Finally got everything back in the Rover today. Took it for a short trip and all seems good. Glad to have that behind me.
            Jim
            Great news, Jim! I always had faith that you’d find more rope somewhere.
            --Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

That is great news!
              -Matt
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Transmission stuff is always daunting at first, but it is a relief to have it behind you!

My cousin just lost a split ring on his 58 S1. Said it was randomly trying to go into reverse! He's fixing it now.

Comment

I think the thing that hindered me the most was a lack of confidence in my ability to do the repair. Looking back on the experience after the dust has settled and it appears that everything is good it wasn't that bad after all.
                  Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X