Shoulder belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoulder belts

Another project not quite finished, but usable for now...

Now that my sons and wife have taken to driving my '88, I decided I should at least make a nod to safety. A customer of mine had bought this seatbelt system for to install in his Santana and liked the way it was designed. So he bought one for me to put in my own Rover.

I really wanted to place the retractable reel directly under the shoulder strap pivot/pulley part. The company's design had it placed off to the side so it was actually pulling from the reel at an angle.

Now I just need to finish up with some custom aluminum sheet work to replace the fuel filler tube covers. This actually bleeds over into another project, mounting the fire extinguisher and the high lift jack and shovel at a later time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_095425.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	215639 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_095437.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	215640 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_095441.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	215641 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_095453.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	215642
    1965 Series IIa

Wow, does it need the big box?
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

The galvanized box that covers the retractable unit is actually what it mounts to. The box then get bolted through bulkhead. I'm still trying to get used to using them.
      1965 Series IIa

Comment

Retractable are the only way to go! I had the non-retracting ones for a short while, PIA!
        gene
        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

You have done a neat job with the retractors on your truck.

Hereabouts retractable seatbelts were mandated in about 1974 so Leyland Australia had to fit them to all their Series 3’s from that time. Mine is 1975 so that’s what it came with.

What they did was to fit the retractors to the cabin side of the tub bulkhead beside where the filler hose comes through the right side and in a similar position on the left. A stiffening plate was added to the other side of the bulkhead panel where the securing bolt is located.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

A buddy of mine had non-retractable shoulder belts in his 2a, I have driven it quite a few times. I am a little embarrassed to say how many times I put the shoulder belt on before attempting to reach for the starter button.
            1965 Series IIa

Comment

Originally posted by S3ute View Post
              Hereabouts retractable seatbelts were mandated in about 1974 so Leyland Australia had to fit them to all their Series 3’s from that time. Mine is 1975 so that’s what it came with.l
              Pretty much the same on these shores.... The Series III was 'federalized' in 1972 to meet the new requirements for the NADA market - particularly WRT lighting. My early Series III originally had the non-retractable, three point belts. But I wanted the retractable style, and ordered 'em from RN when they became available in the mid-'70s. (These were 'handed' so a "driver's side" belt fits the right side....) When I removed the fascia panel on the B pilar, there was a metric, captive nut welded into a concealed plate, so in early 1972, the factory was already 'thinking' about retractable belts.
              “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

Originally posted by 72Rover View Post
                My early Series III originally had the non-retractable, three point belts.
                Hello again.

Seat belts became mandatory here in about 1967 but there were different regulations for passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles. A lot of Rovers just had lap belts which were next to useless and usually ended up jammed in the door or under the back of the seats. Lap sash belts where fitted were still a pita in terms of getting caught up in the doors and seats.

Cheers,

Neil
                Last edited by S3ute; 09-04-2023, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Blimey came with lap belts added when I bought it. I added self retractable belts, the RN kit.

I kept the lap belts to hold the front seats in place, as you can sort of see in this picture.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221221_224254650.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	215695
                  Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Goose View Post
                    This actually bleeds over into another project, mounting the fire extinguisher and the high lift jack and shovel at a later time.
                    I will be watching this with interest to see what you do.

I originally had a fire extinguisher mounted horizontally on the firewall just in front of the gear lever but it made it even harder for a middle seat passenger to fit. Also had planned to fit a mounting bracket for a hilift jack on the inner face of the tub left hand side wheelbox. However, I quickly discovered that the tub length is less than the width and it was too long. Mounting it across the tub is problematic because it would interfere with the spare wheel - I may end up mounting it across the rear cab panel below the window.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

I've got a similar setup to Rusty, only in a 109. I like it, but I couldn't use the nice galvanized boxes to cover my reels because they don't make them for the 109 rear bulkhead and having the reel that low fouls my spare tire. So I moved them up on the included brackets and bolted them through the galvanized cappings.

I also prefer this style as there is not a long bar that runs right behind my head. Kids like it absent too, for ease of climbing in the back, if I have the rear flap down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Seat belt1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.8 KB ID:	215699
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Seat belt2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	215700

Comment

Working...
                      X