EZ Does It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ Does It

Despite concurrently working on the MG, I started the tear down of EZ today. Purchased in 2019 from an online auction, EZ came from Tunkhannock, PA. Per LRFAQ, it's one of only 756 of its type: 1961 S2 2.0L Diesel Export 109. The frame is toast, but the body is very straight except for the driver side wing. I got the original engine going just for fun, shortly after purchasing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwcGsy2rJrA but parts were removed for my cousin's S1 2.0L Diesel 88 shortly thereafter.

My original plan was to use a Cummins R2.8 engine and TR4050 transmission, but due to the cost, I had to let that idea go. A year ago, I happened on a built and reasonably priced SBC 350. Transmission will still be the TR4050 and the Series transfer case.

This isn't going to be a quick project most likely, but figured I'd go ahead and start the thread and update when I can.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.7 KB ID:	217817
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	217818
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	217819
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	217820
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	217821

I should have the transmission out tomorrow. My initial goal is to get the t-case out so I can rebuild it and bolt it up to the TR4050.

(The anvil in the photo above was my great grandfather's and weighs approx. 400lbs!)(I also have a 150lb Peter Wright, which it dwarfs.)
    Last edited by 50 wulf; 11-18-2023, 11:39 AM.

Hello from Brisbane.

Worthwhile project there.

Looking forward to the updates as they come along.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

That looks super. Are you leaving the patina?

Comment

What a cool truck! Very excited to see what you do with it! Export model pickup in original paint is quite a rare bird!

Comment

Love that truck. Can't wait to see your efforts to put in the SBC.

---------------------------------------------------
          '73 S3 88"
          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

I like a patina truck, provided I am certain that further deterioration isn't occurring, which means that all the surfaces are protected (i.e. at least a primer/base coat). This truck has a lot of subsurface corrosion going on and the only way to protect that (to my satisfaction) is to go back to metal, prime, base, and then clear. I can't do all that work just to shoot a clear coat over the current patina (as much as I may like to). So unfortunately, EZ is going to get painted, but I promise it will be stunning. The patina from the new paint will occur in due time, in my tenure.

Here's the driver's side, and it would likely be difficult to patina match this wing anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	217839

Further inspection reveals that the impact on the driver's side was a massive one and heavily bent and twisted the frame and apparently also broke the bellhousing, which has been completely welded back up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ07.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.3 KB ID:	217840
            Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ08.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	217841
            Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	217842
            Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.1 KB ID:	217843

Comment

I won't be needing this transmission if anyone needs it. It shifts through all gears and no metal came out when I drained it. I am going to use the transfercase though. Also, the gear shift lever is up for grabs, but interestingly, I believe it is for a right hand drive vehicle.

The TR4050 is 10" longer than the Rover transmission. An R380 is only 4" longer, and in terms of real estate, 10" is huge, so definitely going to be moving crossmembers around.

Mark, I am also skeptical of your 1 day tear down time as everything so far has taken 3 times my estimated time to remove stuck fasteners!

If you look up the transmission number on LRFAQ, it says it's for a 1961 Diesel 109" Home RHD, of which it says 911 were built, but clearly this is #2167 of that series... unless they just kept stamping numbers on them and using them across different models (which could have occurred).

Click image for larger version  Name:	EZ11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	217845
              Last edited by 50 wulf; 11-19-2023, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Sending you a PM.
                Jim
                64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

The early parts books that I have state that there is no difference in the shift lever for left or right hand drive. This may have changed later on. I have taken more than a couple trucks from rolling vehicle to a pile of parts with the rusty frame cut into pieces in one day. There are a lot of parts not worth wasting time on like springs, shocks, frame etc. the gas axe makes short work of these parts.

Comment

Mark, that makes sense, as this certainly looks like the original shifter.

Also makes sense on the tear down if you aren't concerned with cutting things. Only thing I cut so far was the rear driveshaft (it would not unbolt!) and the speedo cable.

Comment

I try not to cut more than necessary but I don't waste time on things like spring bolts or u bolts and really rusty fasteners. That said I do retain original fasteners where ever possible. All the screws and bolts for my dash and windscreen are originals along with screws on the truck cab. Basically anything that stands out I try to keep original.

Comment

Nice truck!! Dig'n the look. Good luck on the rebuild! The diesel sounds clunking good! :-)

Comment

I've got big plans for this Rover and I'm going to use it as a road map for the 66 109 SW if it all works out. It's getting longer springs and shocks front and rear, AC, limited slip diffs, and of course V8 power.

I pulled the t-case down tonight and had a minor panic attack when I removed the idler gear shaft, as it appeared to have a major groove worn in it that was evident by sight and feel. However, I finally realized that the shaft is intentionally stepped and is absolutely fine! I'd heard that these smaller earlier shafts could have failures, but this one looks good. And I want to keep the earlier t-case vs. a 2A case because of the lower gearing. I just hope there is not a difference in the transmission output gear size. I'll have to check that tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	T-case_01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	217973
                          Last edited by 50 wulf; 11-22-2023, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by series guy View Post
                            the gas axe makes short work of these parts.
                            Never heard that one!!!! love it
                            88 RRC
                            59 S2 88"
                            11 Range Rover

Comment

Wulf looks like a great project....Id love a 109" PU
                              88 RRC
                              59 S2 88"
                              11 Range Rover

Comment

Working...
                              X