Trans swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans swap

Today, thanks to another local Rover owner's heated shop I start a marathon trans swap. I start at 6am and plan to drive my Rover home by tonight or early tomorrow morning. My thanks to John C. and jopa for making this possible. I hope this is the last time I do this for a while.
    Jim
    64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Good luck. It's definitely doable in a work day if everything is prepared and the unforeseen stuff is minimal.

Comment

Didn't make it. I totally ran out of steam after 13 hours. There is always tomorrow.
      64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Sounds like a monumental effort nonetheless! What ended up being the biggest hurtle?

Comment

Truthfully I forgot how much needs to be removed to get the trans and transfer out if you don't have a removeable cross member add to that the weight of the trans transfer and lastly just plain old age.
          Jim

Comment

When I do this I always separate the trans/transfer case. Way lighter to lift and it pays to replace the rear transmission seal when doing this job.

Comment

My shop has a 5 ton bridge crane, no issues with weight lifting the entire lump. But it only helps if the Rover has no top! The issue for me has always been trying to lift it and keep it aligned with the engine. It is so lop sided that it is difficult to get the holes all lined up to mate them back together. I use a bunch of ratchet straps and tighten various ones to control the angle of attack.
              1965 Series IIa

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Goose View Post
                My shop has a 5 ton bridge crane, no issues with weight lifting the entire lump. But it only helps if the Rover has no top! The issue for me has always been trying to lift it and keep it aligned with the engine. It is so lop sided that it is difficult to get the holes all lined up to mate them back together. I use a bunch of ratchet straps and tighten various ones to control the angle of attack.
                I made some alignment pins by cutting the heads off long bolts and cutting a slot across the top for a screwdriver. Use 1 at 10 and 1 at 2. Makes lining up sooo much easier.
                gene
                1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

Another 13 hr day but the job is done. For those of you with a Roamerdrive, mine is jumping out of drive but fine in OD. If I hold the lever back it is fine. Guess the linkage got screwed up when I put it back together. I need to adjust it so should I lenthen it or shorten it?
                  Jim

Comment

What gear is it jumping out in?
                    gene
                    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

All of them if I don't hold the lever back. Doesn't do it in OD (llever fprward). Thinking the linkage is too short aand doesn't permit the OD to fully engauge.
                      Jim

Comment

OD sorted. The lever was hitting the acoustic mat and wasn't fully engauging the OD.
                        Jim

Comment

Nice simple fix. Roll on!
                          Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Working...
                          X