Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis harness

S3 SWB
    just got a new chassis harness from Autosparks via Rovers North. This is the harness that runs the inside length of the chassis frame rail.
    Is there any good reason to attach it on top of the chassis and secure with cushion clamps over running it the original way inside the rail?
    Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

not really

Comment

Some peoples argue that inside protects it from snagging whilst off-roading. I think if the body is still on it would be easier to run it outside. Body off, probably a push. All depends on if you can pull it through.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

it takes about 5-10 minutes to install with the body on. Less if the original is still in the chassis and you can tape the new to the old and pull it through

Comment

Thanks, body is off and no original in sight. thinking another benefit of going through the inside chassis rail is it protects the harness from me and getting the body back on.
          Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

Comment

I ran mine internal. Like Ike said 5 or 10 minutes to install.

Comment

I ran mine internal and it took over an hour without the body on or the original loom in. I had to blow a piece of string down the chassis and fish it out in the rear then pull the wires thru. I don't own a fish for wires.
              gene
              1960 109 w/ 200TDI
              rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

I saw a neat trick to run a string through the chassis: use a shop vac to suck the string down and out the hole. I haven't tried it, but hey it works in YouTube!
                ---------------------------------------------------
                '73 S3 88"
                '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
                  I saw a neat trick to run a string through the chassis: use a shop vac to suck the string down and out the hole. I haven't tried it, but hey it works in YouTube!
                  i've done this. just a little wad of paper tied to a string and a shopvac. took just a few seconds to suck the string through
                  "Really not brag'n...just brag'n...I've done 3000 brag'n miles in 11 brag'n days in a brag'n series and never once stopped brag'n. Absolutely the best brag'n I've ever done"

Comment

I used a fish tape. Worked very well.
                    There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

All useful suggestions.

Luckily the loom is still in my chassis. so I''ll be able to attach a string or wire to the old one and pull it through when I remove it.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

I ran mine outside and sealed off the holes in the chassis. Two of the trucks i had at the time had corrosion failures directly at the holes in the frame for the wire harness. Over the years it allowed road salt to accumulate in that section.
                        -Matt
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                        X