Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chassis Drawings - CAD, Sketch Up, Etc......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chassis Drawings - CAD, Sketch Up, Etc......

Has anyone developed any accurate drawings for the multiple Land Rover Series Chassis? If so, would you be willing to share them?

With a friend, we are considering taking a run at making some ourselves. American steel, semi custom, high quality, etc. Between the two of us, we have several loose frames to measure and reproduce, but would certainly be a little ahead if we had an accurate drawing. Otherwise, we will try and laser scan or just old fashion measure to make a jig.

Curious if there is anything out there.

Thanks.
    - Rover Owner

Have you looked in the workshop manual? IIRC there are dimensional drawings there.
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Well, low and behold.....page 76-12. Looks like it only shows outriggers and crossmember locations. If anyone has something more complete, let me know.
      Last edited by Contractor; 06-02-2021, 08:08 PM.
      - Rover Owner

Comment

Alright so not a super helpful reply, especially because I cannot find any pictures but I do believe Timm Cooper is in the process of doing the same thing. Not sure what scale he would/will be producing but i believe he had a prototype or two on display at the Portland ABFM.

Comment

I seem to remember, years ago, on a site that I can't remember, a guy called Aloha Rover (?) built his own Series chassis from really heavy stock, and I think there were at least rudimentary drawings of it. I just Googled it and it's not in the first page or two of results. I think I'm not being super helpful, but it's all I got.

Andy
          ---------------------------------------------------
          '73 S3 88"
          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Ok, all good information....thanks.

I just think we can build something higher quality with superior material and a potential for some custom features locally (US). We have the facility, skills and equipment and it boggles my mind that our only source for these is through a third party that distributes UK fabricated frames.

I think about options like, galvanized, powder coated, raw, motor mounts, coil sprung, etc. There are a hundred ways to build these better for the non purist.

Anyway, I know you can’t feasibly build 100 configurations and still recoup costs or even make a few bucks, but I think a US source is worth exploring......especially when we have the means to do so.

It may implode tomorrow, but we will see.
            - Rover Owner

Comment

Aloha Rover was definitely the guy. I don't know if I saved any of his frame pics, but he used 3/16" plate and modified the sections somewhat for easier assembly and fab. Worked the same, but you could tell it wasn't factory. But it was beefy and not bad looking at all.

I'm not ready to purchase a frame yet for my 61' 109, but it will need one. I have a 109 SW frame that I was going to try to save and convert to the pickup version. Might be fun to have a coil sprung front frame version without having to go to Dynacoil or get something made overseas and shipped here, as you mentioned. Or at the very least, if I stay leaf up front, perhaps some higher shock mounts?

My Defender also needs a frame and since it will be getting an engine conversion as well, I'd really like the option to have something ungalvanized that I can add my motor/trans mounts to and then get it dipped. As far as I know, getting a Richards or Marsland ungalved is not an option, or would be a special order...

Last thing to think about is frame thickness. I like the idea of something thicker than stock, but this will add a good deal of weight and even more if galved. But is it really necessary? Stock frame, in unrusty condition is pretty strong.
              There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Timm Cooper is making his own frames to fit a V8 and what ever transmission the buyer wants, with a thicker sidewall than Rover. They are wider past the engine bay to accommodate catalytic converters within the frame rails. So not really Series standard frames.
                gene
                1960 109 w/ 200TDI

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

"Really not brag'n...just brag'n...I've done 3000 brag'n miles in 11 brag'n days in a brag'n series and never once stopped brag'n. Absolutely the best brag'n I've ever done"

Comment

Nice Scott! Interesting they show the rear springs flat when unladen. 40 (still won't do the degree symbol) degrees tipping angle, 20 makes me nervous!

Ah-hah! I downloaded th image and blew it up, the springs are flat because they are drawn at full bump.

Any idea what they are using as the front datum point?
                    Last edited by loose gravel; 06-07-2021, 02:50 AM.
                    gene
                    1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

That’s a good drawing, thanks for posting that.
                      - Rover Owner

Comment

This is supposed to be of a 2a 88".

Colin
                        A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                        X