Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly reel maintenance - esp O rings

Hello from Brisbane.

Neither a Rover or gun topic, but seems to be more suited here than the other sub-forums.

A few years ago I picked up a little used Fenwick 56 fly reel while visiting my sister in Pennsylvania. It was called a Nighthawk but I’m not actually sure if that’s correct. The box was missing and that’s how it was described.

I only used it for the first time back in January during a trip to Central Tasmania - for a budget reel it was pretty nice to use. To point - after I got back to Queensland I decided to give it a bit of a cleanup and discovered a small broken O ring that I intended to replace but didn’t have a spare. So, I shoved the old one back where I thought it came from and gave it little more thought.

The other day while waiting for a drill battery to recharge I pulled the reel apart to swap the O ring with another that I found in a pack of mixed tap washers. Problem is that the old ring fell out and I’m not sure where they actually fit - the parts diagram that came with the reel in its’ pouch shows a slightly different spool arrangement to what’s actually on it - that diagram called it a Nighthawk.

My reel looks like this (taken off the web), although it doesn't actually have "Nighthawk" written on it - just P56 on the spool:

Click image for larger version  Name:	715BA40D-0903-49C3-ABE5-D2D41AB3311B.png Views:	0 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	194561

Click image for larger version  Name:	F60D826A-9B0A-45C3-ADB1-66B6CFEB4C67.png Views:	0 Size:	56.8 KB ID:	194563

Whereas the parts diagram that came with it shows a set up like this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	B42E5CA3-9F7F-41A2-BB04-CBD8BE33605F.png Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	194562

Also, the parts diagram really only shows one O ring and I reckon mine has two, if not three if you count a larger one under the centre drag knob.

Does anyone know much about these Fenwick reels and where the O rings fit? Presumably there should be one on each end of the central axle to keep water out and I think the broken O ring may have come from near the drag knob end of the axle but it’s not an obvious fit.

I can usually nut these things out but haven’t so far.

Cheers,

Neil
    Last edited by S3ute; 08-01-2021, 03:20 AM.

Don't know if any of this will help you. I searched for "Fenwick reels customer service." The link below is to contact the site this info came from. Maybe it can be used to get to someone from Fenwick that can solve your query. That's all I could come up with, my apology...

https://www.purefishing.com/pages/contact-us

In the U.S.

Fenwick Customer Service
    1900 18th Street
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360
    (877) 336-7637
    In Canada

Fenwick Warranty Service
    131 Savannah Oaks Drive, Unit#1
    Brantford, Ontario N3V 1E8
    (519) 750-0100
    Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

Originally posted by badvibes View Post
      Don't know if any of this will help you. I searched for "Fenwick reels customer service." The link below is to contact the site this info came from. Maybe it can be used to get to someone from Fenwick that can solve your query. That's all I could come up with, my apology...

https://www.purefishing.com/pages/contact-us

In the U.S.

Fenwick Customer Service
      1900 18th Street
      Spirit Lake, IA 51360
      (877) 336-7637
      In Canada

Fenwick Warranty Service
      131 Savannah Oaks Drive, Unit#1
      Brantford, Ontario N3V 1E8
      (519) 750-0100
      Hello again and thanks.

They don’t have a local customer support contact here - the brand isn’t one that is common here although products from the conglomerate that owns it are. I think that is Berkley although that is also part of a larger corporation.

We’re under lockdown again this week - so, I’ll take another look at the reel innards and see if I can’t nut it out. Failing that I could chase one of those contacts.

By logic the O ring ought to be sited on the end of the axle shaft or securing screw. Just can’t see an aperture groove for it.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Hi Neil, can you post a pic of the inner workings of your reel?

Comment

Originally posted by Halfton View Post
          Hi Neil, can you post a pic of the inner workings of your reel?
          Hello again - first day of August which feels more like spring than late winter, and been dragooned by the missus for a day of gardening.

I had meant to post a photo of the innards with the rest of the original post. I’ll do that later when I’ve finished my green fingered penury.

Cheers,

Neil
          Last edited by S3ute; 08-01-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Hello again.

I sat down again to see if I could sort out the reel and did finally work it out - the parts diagrams that came with it and/or those I found on the internet were of no help. Fenwick must have made a number of variations of the Nighthawk models over the years and these seem to have differed around the area in question.

Here are a few photos:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fenwick2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	194600 Click image for larger version  Name:	Fenwick3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	194601
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Fenwick4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	194597 Click image for larger version  Name:	Fenwick5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.1 KB ID:	194598 Click image for larger version  Name:	Fenwick1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	194599

There was a large O ring under the drag knob (photo 1), but too big to be the broken one. Another possibility was a small ring on top of the carbon washer on the clicker ring, but nothing fit there either.

I thought it might have been on the securing bolt head (second photo) but there was no groove and that would have been too small anyway.

I pulled the central bearing pack down to fully expose the central axle shaft (photo 3) and found the groove.

O ring fitted (photo 4) and reassembled and working fine (photo 5).

Happy ending and verification of the advantage of taking a girl's look at some of these things.

Cheers,

Neil
            Last edited by S3ute; 08-01-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X