• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MT tire option

Thinking of getting these:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodric...116Q/163889569

235/85 16 BFG MT.

Is there a better off road tire in that size I should look at? (Not interested in AT tires.)

What’s “better”?

Hard to beat Swampers for their performance in mud. Performance on road is a different matter. But they are great mud tires

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/super-.../R-BKBW-IND-10

Comment

Like Richard asks define "better." Pure mudder, lots of sand beaches, rock crawling, less road noise, best mileage?

I've run BFG ATs, BFG MT KM2s, BFG Commercial Tracs, Interco Swampers, and Pro Comp MTs. Sizes were 235 85 16, 33 10.50 15, 33 12.50 15, and 255 85 16.

The ATs were 235s on my '64 S2. Truck was very stock. Really good all around tire. Pros really good in snow and wet roads, low road noise. Cons load up with mud and don't self clean well. I thought they were a good match to that truck and how I used it.

The KM2s are 255s on my RRC. 2 sets. Really good all around performance, I was really impressed with the performance on Moab slickrock. Maybe a little narrow for good deep sand performance. Cons noticeable road noise.

The Commercial Tracs were 235s on my RRC. These tires always worked. Surprised me often how well at times. Pros best road tire of the bunch. Good off road, rocks, sand tho I never had them in real muddy situations. Great snow tire. Cons I'm sure they would be a poor mud tire, not aggressive enough and I doubt they would self clean.

The Swampers were 10.50s on my CJ. Hands down the best of the bunch off road in all conditions. Another level of performance in real mud. Hands down the poorest performer on pavement, noisier, wet conditions slippy slidey, loudest, worst ride, and did I mention really loud? Pros great mud performance, good in snow unless its 30 inches or more deep. But that's another story. Gnarly looks. Cons the worst was on wet roads, I'm talking light rain, they sucked. Moving in anything other than a straight line and accelerate the back end would start sliding out. 10.50 was too narrow in sand, didn't float well had a tendency to dig quickly if too much go pedal was applied.

The Pro Comps were 12,50s on my CJ. Performance comparable but not quite as good as the KM2s. Wider so better in sand. Not bad noise wise. Decent siping so ok in wet road conditions. I had no real complaints. Pros I got a killer deal on these thru National Tire. They had a buy 3 get 1 free deal and they price matched a low price I found somewhere. Cons nothing specific. They were kind of the average performer of all the other tires. Not as bad as the worst performer in its weak areas and not quite as good as the best performer in its strengths. I'd run them again if I got the right price/size.

The link you shared was for the old style MT. Surely you're looking at the KM2/3 MTs. I'm running my 2nd set if that says anything. I do like the Cooper STT if I was gonna try another MT.
      Last edited by badvibes; 08-30-2021, 03:46 PM.
      Do not fire unless fired upon. But if they mean to have a war, let it begin here. - John Parker

“There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters” ― Daniel Webster

Comment

Thanks for the info. I should know better than to ask an open question like that! I think the BFG MTs are the ones I need. Definitely need some on-road performance so swampers (which I've had) are not going to do it.

Now to see what prices I can get. I know I can get them cheaper online, but then mount + balance cost separately might be more than the chain tire stores around here that include everything.

Comment

I am 99% sure you can’t get that tire in that size anymore. Unless you happen to find someone that hoarded them and has them laying around.

They are offering it in a 7.5R16 which is what I would look for. I have them on my 88” and love them. I also run the same tire on my 109 in a larger size.

For a Mud Terrain that kicks ass off road and has equally as good roadside manners, you can’t beat them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	412A233A-9610-4A8B-AD0E-054FC61B5C07.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	195260
          - Rover Owner

Comment

The tire you have selected is the BFG MT KM1.This tire has been out of production for about 10 years. Either these are unavailable, or if you can find them, they are dead.

BFG Mud Tire History:
            BFG Mud Terrain: Before 2003
            BFG MT KM1: ~2003 to 2011ish??
            BFG MT KM2: ~2011-2019ish??
            BFG MT KM3: Current Iteration

But the lastest version, the BFG KM3, is a very good tire. Available in 7.50x16. This is a great tire. I run KM2 and will replace with KM3 when the time comes. Wears well. Off road traction is great. Looks good. Rides well. Good traction in the wet. Great tires for series rovers. Can't hear them over all the other random noises these trucks make.

Comment

I run 235/85R16 MT Claw II from TreadWright. They are re-tread tires made in Texas. I have 5000+ miles on one set with out issues, and another set on a truck that should hit the road in the next year.

https://www.treadwright.com/collecti...lt-235-85-r16#
              1959 88" Series II
              1965 109" IIA Dormobile Project

Comment

Originally posted by LR Max View Post
                The tire you have selected is the BFG MT KM1.This tire has been out of production for about 10 years. Either these are unavailable, or if you can find them, they are dead.

BFG Mud Tire History:
                BFG Mud Terrain: Before 2003
                BFG MT KM1: ~2003 to 2011ish??
                BFG MT KM2: ~2011-2019ish??
                BFG MT KM3: Current Iteration

But the lastest version, the BFG KM3, is a very good tire. Available in 7.50x16. This is a great tire. I run KM2 and will replace with KM3 when the time comes. Wears well. Off road traction is great. Looks good. Rides well. Good traction in the wet. Great tires for series rovers. Can't hear them over all the other random noises these trucks make.
                x2 on all that. Have 255 85 16 KM3s on the 110 and 7.50 x 16 KM3s on the Sankey. Bought a set for my YJ as well. Good tires, and the 7.50 x 16 is the right size for a Series.
                Mike S

"If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead."
                -- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

The BFG MT KM3 is never a wrong choice for a 4x4 imho. It might not be the best at specific tasks but its probably the best all around MT.
                  -Matt
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Over the last 300k or so miles, the BFG TracEdges were my favs. 7 ,50x16 on the Series, 235/85x16s on the Disco. Not really sure why the TracEdges went away, as they seemed to be the best all around tire. Ran with the BFG Commercial Traction tires for a while, even had 'em retreaded once. Those retreads lasted 'til the sidewalls succumbed to UV degradation. Plenty of tread left, tho'....
                    “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

I currently run Yokohama Geolander ATs size 235X85x16. They have worn fairly well but are on the horizon for replacement. When that time comes I'm going up to 255x85x16. Not sure if I will get BFG MTs or Yokohama MTs.
                      Jim
                      64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

I had the Firestone Destination tires on my 88. Wore really well, Made trips to/through Death Valley and in the Nevada Outback. Never an issue. Not any real mud, just some occasional stuff always made it. https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...s/destination/
                        gene
                        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

So I'm going to go with the 7.50's on 569690 rims on my 109. And I think 33s on wolf wheels for another rover. I don't think the 255s fit on 5.5's very well. I think the 235s are squeezed on the 569690.

Comment

This is what I'm current running on my '65 88'. They seem to be wearing ok, but they are a tad noisy especially above 55mph. The tires they replaced were quite wide, 11 inch. going to these was like adding power steering!

Nankang N889 M/T Mudstar LT235/85R16 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
                            1965 Series IIa

Comment

I need to replace my 20 year old Trxus soon. Still good tread but @ 20 I'm no longer comfortable with them at "highway" speed. If I do an MT will be a BFG. Not sure on an MT or an AT at this point though.

Comment

Working...
                              X