1970 Late 2a PCV diagram/setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Late 2a PCV diagram/setup

So there’s a whole lotta exhaust gasses getting into the crankcase & I don’t plan to install the rebuilt motor until the winter months - but thinking I’d like to reinstall the PCV setup on my rover. What would have been the stock setup on the truck? Any input is appreciated. Thank you !

What engine do you have?

As far as I know the 2.25 has no pcv valve. Just a breather cap. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210908_002325983.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	195583
    Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Ah yes - the 2.25. No PCV setup installed on a late 2a?

Comment

I did find this diagram on a rovers forum in the UK. Although it the image resolution washed out when I uploaded it from my phone

Comment

My S3 had a pvc valve. Seems to me it went from the top of the valve cover to the valve to a tube welded in the bottom of the air intake elbow. I'd have to look in the manual to be sure.
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Drag racers use a system with a pipe welded in the exhaust to keep the crankcase at negative pressure. See Summit part number STF66115.

Comment

There were quite a few changes, beginning with the Series III in 1972. These "federalized" changes were mandated by changes in US motor vehicle regs, including lights, safety (better seat belts and 'power' brakes), and various anti-pollution gadgets. The fuel system was now 'sealed' with a charcoal cannister system to scavenge fuel vapors off the tank. Under the bonnet, there were two "paths" to consume crankcase vapors. One is a 'low vacuum' draw tube from the valve cover breather to the carb's elbow. The other is a hard pipe from the now-sealed oil fill tube around to the PCV valve adjacent to the base of the carb. There's an adapter at the base of the carb that also includes a port for the brake servo unit.
              “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

I made up a US style PCV setup when I ran the 2.25 in my SIII. Using an old valve cover a freeze plug was installed in the location of the breather and a hole was drilled in the top of the valve cover and enlarged to fit a rubber PCV grommet. The PCV was installed in the grommet and a vacuum hose run to to the carb base. I used a twist on oil fill tube with a gasket on the filler cap to seal the filler opening, and a vacuum hose was run from a nipple on the side of the fill tube to a nipple on the carb elbow.

Intake vacuum pulled thru PCV into the top of the valve cover, drawing vapors up from the lower crankcase. Cleaned air from the carb elbow was pulled into the lower crankcase via the filler tube. Worked great. This setup went with the engine when it was sold to a G&R board member and the 300TDI went into my 109.

Bob

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I’m sure I can cobble together a setup

Comment

You could just look at my red truck in the back yard.

Comment

https://www.roversnorth.com/category...ngine_emission

Colin
                      A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                      X