Not looking to start a war

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not looking to start a war

My poly bushings are well past their prime and I'm considering replacing them with genuine chassis bushings and poly in the springs (that is if I can find them). What says the group? Poly all they way around or my proposed mix?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

I have had the OEM style bushings disintegrate in less than one year of street driving. Considering the effort needed to replace them I use only polybushes now. My thought is that even if they don’t last any longer it’s a very simple job to replace them. The exact same truck with the same use has 5 year old polybushes that were still excellent when I sold that truck. Also the ride is noticeably improved with the polybushes.

Comment

I have read the stories of original style bushings failing in short order. Which poly manufacturer do you use and where did you get them?
      Jim
      64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

I’m pretty sure that these came from AB but honestly can’t remember. These were yellow and some folks don’t like seeing the bright color under the truck but I’ve been told that some suppliers now have them in black for a more original look.

Comment

Thanks. Your point about ease of replacement makes total sense.

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

I fitted Super Pro bushes in both the springs and chassis:

https://superpro.com.au

They are sold internationally these days and the guys in the mining industry here rate them highly.

The problem with the OEM type bushes lies in the word “type” - most aren’t OEM nor as good. Plus as noted in the earlier posts removing and refitting the standard bushes can be a memorable chore.

Cheers,

Neil
            Last edited by S3ute; 09-22-2021, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Hello again.

I should have added the obvious - until you meet the counter case - suggestion to make sure, no matter what brand you go with, to check that the product is correct for your truck.

The rear lower shock absorber bushes are different between the short and long wheelbase trucks as is the diameter of the front chassis bush - the short wheelbase trucks have a slightly smaller outer diameter on that chassis bush which can effect the success of extractors set up for the long wheelbase chassis.

I note this from previous experience…..

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

__
                Last edited by landy; 09-24-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I got my kit from AB and it said 109 but there’s a difference in diameter between 2a and 3. They’ve been on for 6 or more years and have been great. One problem is that the bush walked it’s way up the raised bosses on the chassis, a flat washer on either side fixed that no problem. I’d do polys again for the simple fact that should it get stuck I can burn it out and there won’t be a casing to saw in half at the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X