2.25 Petrol Spin On Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.25 Petrol Spin On Oil Filter

Installing the rebuilt motor soon in my series rover & any feedback on this upgrade:

https://www.roverparts.com/filters/o...ers/ABP1168K3/

I bought the newest Wise Owl product about 2 years ago and it's even more simple than that. It replaces the filter housing and leaves the rest mounted to the block. Unscrew the filter housing bolt, screw on the new adapter and filter. Done. Thought I had a picture but can't find it.
    '59 SII 88"

Comment

I have it. It works well, use good oil filters; Mann, Mahle or Coopers/FIAAM
      Last edited by pitchrollyaw; 01-11-2022, 03:58 AM.
      sigpic
      '72 Series III 88"
      '85 d90 2.5NA
      '74 TR6

Comment

I've had that version for about 2 decades now. Its pretty awesome. Uses same filter off of the RRC/D1 and TDI engines. So quality filters are always easy to add into a parts order.

Its great. Definitely a practical upgrade.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback - I just ordered the AB kit with Mahle filters.

Comment

Unless you have the military style oil cooler, which has a ‘puck’ for the hoses and adds a few extra inches in that spot, should be fine.
            shoot, forgot to mention have the kit because of the above situation and having to go with Rocky Mountain to get clearance.
            Erik

1970ish exMOD 109

Comment

Do not let idiots install. Perfectly good way to ruin an engine…

Comment

I plan to work the installation myself, and will attempt to minimize any potential idiosyncrasy.

Originally posted by rejeep View Post
                Do not let idiots install. Perfectly good way to ruin an engine…

Comment

i don’t have an oil cooler, so hopefully there will be adequate clearance.

Originally posted by Xplitive View Post
                  Unless you have the military style oil cooler, which has a ‘puck’ for the hoses and adds a few extra inches in that spot, should be fine.
                  shoot, forgot to mention have the kit because of the above situation and having to go with Rocky Mountain to get clearance.

Comment

I have the AB kit installed on mine. Works pretty good. No issues. Nice they give you a new oil pressure switch. Mine did not come with one. I used the old one with no problems.

Comment

Follow the installation instructions and don't install with the gauge ports clocked differently than required. There is an "in" and "out" port on the adapter that need to be located at the correct engine block port or no oil could be supplied to the engine. Some oil filters have a one way drainback preventer that will not let oil pass if the adapter is installed with the "out" port on the supply side. This was a problem several years ago when some adapters had the gauge ports clocked incorrectly. It didn't matter if the installed filter didn't have a drainback preventer. but engine failure resulted if it did.

I think this adapter uses a Fram PH-16 filter equivalent which uses a 3/4-16 thread. This is a very common filter thread size and you can find shorter filters if additional space is required. This same filter is used on the Rover V8 oil filter adapter for fitting the V8 into a Series and a short filter is needed for front diff clearance. I use the STP filter which is a bit shorter than the normal 4.4 inches but I have seen filters as short as two inches.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sjsst41 View Post
                        I plan to work the installation myself, and will attempt to minimize any potential idiosyncrasy.

You'll be fine. Follow the instructions (there is a certain orientation required but pretty straight forward) and have your SAE socket set and open ended wrench set. Get some RTV. Its 2 bolts.

Mahle is a good filter. I recommend either Mahle or Mann/Mann+Hummel. Both have been OEM filter suppliers for rover for decades and make good units. In a pinch you can use Wix Gold if need be as Wix is owned by Mann now and the Gold is pretty much what the standard Mann filter is.

Comment

The type Galen refers to is better. However I still prefer to use the stock element type. Less material to throw away and I find them easier to remove than spin on filters (which always seem to require a strap wrench, filter pliers or some other horrible contraption to remove). The quality of some of the spin on filters is total trash as well. Many manufacturers have gone back to element types on new production vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                          X