Canvas hood forward tie down question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canvas hood forward tie down question

In the process of fitting my canvas hood to the 109 (Exmoor*), and I have a few questions. So the forward tie downs were never on the vehicle to begin with, nor the forward loops on the windshield support bar, meaning, to me, that the vehicle was never fitted with a hood originally. But it had the hoops with it, only the back two were crushed, like from a big limb or tree fall. Does this mean that the vehicle was originally shipped with a pickup cab fitted?

Next question is that on my 61, it already has the tie loops on the body (for the 3/4 canvas hood), but they are turned the opposite way shown (LH appears to be on RH and vice versa). Was this just a difference on the S2 vs S2A. or a previous owner mistake?

(*Undercover covers/Comptons LTD, ended up being royal a-holes and led me on for months about my custom hood, which I now believe they never even started working on.)

First pic shows the "LH" tie down on the RH side, which would seem to make more sense from a standpoint of snagging your clothing on this hook when entering the vehicle...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220112_071027001.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	199151
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220112_070928.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	199152
    There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

For your Full Hood, the hook should be forward most on the vehicle, with the rivets towards the back of the vehicle. This will help hold the canvas as deep/forward as possible into the vertical gutter

Comment

This is the best picture I have, but as Bud says, the hook should be forward of the holes. All the hooks and staples appear to have been on my truck from the factory.

'59 SII 88"

Comment

I got it buttoned up. Appreciate it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220112_215006.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	199195
        There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

John that old rig is really starting to come together.

Comment

That sand top looks so good on bronze green.
            '59 SII 88"

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, I'll update my thread when I get a little closer on everything. My dad is still in the hospital (on a ventilator) so I just work on it an hour here or there.

I feel so close, yet still far away. The small stuff at the end of every build always seems to take forever for me... There's also some tuning still needed on the starting circuit. Motor runs fine, but just doesn't start as quickly as I want it to. I know this is due to some combination of fueling, idle air control, and possibly timing, but I just haven't had the time to nail that down.

Comment

Something to keep in mind on the modern fuel infected engines…..they don’t start as quickly as an old points and generator engine because the ecu needs to see a full crank rotation to turn on the injectors. This usually means about two turns until it’s running.

Comment

Working...
                X