50th birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50th birthday

It was exactly a half-century ago today, May 9, 1972, that my Rover rolled out of Lode Lane. It was the 819th 'federalized' Series III to be built, and the day it was 'released' by the factory for sale. I acquired it on November 28th, fresh off the boat, for the grand sum of $4,139, including title and tax, At that time, the only other less expensive 4x4 - by $200 - was the TLC.

Cheers
    “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Obviously a match made in heaven.

Comment

Congrats! We're awfully close - mine is number 724 of the same year. I've had it for 20 years now.

Comment

Wow, that's a long time with the same anything. Congrats.

I don't have the long term ownership (yet), but mine will be 50 next year. At least, the model year is '73, so it could be 50 sometime in the fall.

---------------------------------------------------
        '73 S3 88"
        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Would love to see some pictures of the early years with your truck

Comment

Great story - love these long time owner tales…

Land Rovers seem to work their way into peoples hearts and lives. Mine is a ‘74 88” I purchased in ‘96. Drove it through University, courted/traveled with my wife in it, fled the church in wedded bliss in it, honeymooned and eventually camped with my daughter out of it.

Happy trails…
            www.shearpin.org - Land Rover Lore and Travel Stories

Comment

Awesome!

Agree on needing pics!
              There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Happy Birthday!!! Awesome history. Not a lot of these original NADA's around.
                1968 Series 2a, 88
                1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	JohnRhysDavies.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	202646
                  “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

Here's one circa 1993. (The caption disappeared....) On the set of "Archaeology" which aired on the Discovery Channel or "Time Travelers" in the UK. Opening and closing segments were narrated by John Rhys Davies, who, at that time, owned five Series vehicles.

Earlier images of the Rover are all on 35mm....

Comment

Awesome How many miles have you put on it total?
                      -Matt
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

More than "to the moon":...239,000 miles. Counting the number of times the speedo cable crapped out or otherwise ceased to function, probably just shy of 300,000.

Comment

That's awesome!

$4,139 = $28,627 today.

Colin
                          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Working...
                          X