Rear bench seat fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear bench seat fitment

Ok, so it’s clearly been a while since I fitted rear bench seats to anything (over 20yrs to be exact) and I’m a little fuzzy on a few bits.
    I found this video: Fitting rear seats to my Land Rover Series 3 - YouTube
    But he glosses over a few things and doesn’t seem to fit the rubber washers to the seat back frame where it presses against the capping.

1st question, my z-pieces on the left side seem to be off at least 3/4 of an inch from where they need to be. Much closer on the right hand side. Not sure what could be causing that, but I hate to cut anything if I am missing something easy. (1st pic)
    2nd question, the z-pieces on both sides will NOT sit flush enough to the seat back frame to actually be bolted on. Does this just mean that they are not bent properly (bends are different on all pcs). (2nd & 3rd pic)(the gap at the top of the 2nd pic is to account for the rubber bumper, but even with this gap at nothing, the z-bar still won’t be able to bolt up)
    3rd question, I should be able to slide the seat back frame into position with the z-bars already bolted on and the rubber bumpers on, correct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic1.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	203286

Name:	Pic2.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	203287

Name:	Pic3.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	203288

There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

My inward facing seats are out of the truck. I've installed a Jeep Fold and Stow forward facing seat in there.

I'll pull my jump seats out from behind stuff tonight and see if I can get some good photos for you.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

I have always installed the jump seats with the rear tab bolted to the seat frame. Just slide the tabs into the slot in the capping and push the bottom of the frame back until the holes line up or things look straight if you are drilling new holes. I think the weird bend of the tabs and the lack of precision in any part of this allows the tabs to sort of wedge into place once the bottom bolts are installed. I have a pair of the fold down jump seats that are shorter than all the ones that I've seen in 88" trucks. I was thinking that these were made so that two would fit on each side of a 109. I can measure the length tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks all.

I'm waiting for the rubber bumpers to come in. Couldn't find the ones I'm convinced I ordered two years ago... When those come in, I'll bolt them on, and the bases, then bend the tabs to fit. I'll go from there, but that should work. Will update when those come in.
        There is nothing more dangerous than those who seek to alter the will of men through force or deception rather than logic.

Comment

Let me know if you still want pics of my seats. Life interfered and I didn't get out to the barn last night to send you photos. Apologies.
          '73 S3 88"
          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

So I just went through the same headache last week with my 88. When I pulled the benches out they were fine but I had a really hard time getting things to line up.

I swapped the z pieces back and forth until I got things close enough to bolt down. I started with the z pieces as loose as possible and would shift things around until I could get them to locate.

It took a lot more work than I would have thought but I was really trying to avoid drilling a new set of holes.

Comment

All the fold down rear seats that I have seen in 88” trucks are 33” wide but I have a pair that are 25” wide. I was thinking that this is to fit 2 on each side of a 109 perhaps.

Comment

I got everything sorted. My rubber bumpers came in yesterday. With the bumpers on, it was easier to see where the brackets needed to be bent. Also, in my first and second pic above, I was holding the z pieces too high. They use the last two holes in the frame and one of those holes is hidden by the cross bar. But all my z pieces needed slight adjustments. On the left side I had to cut down one cross bar (hated to do that) and notch my cap pc to fit the other one. My goal was to avoid having to drill new holes in the tub.
                (Tip, use thick mil clear plastic when test fitting and fitting the frame to avoid *some* damage to the paint.)

Right side lined up better with the z pcs, but not the tub holes. I made it fit, but it's a little wonky, although perfectly functional.

Incidentally, it appears that the lower cushions need to be removed to access the storage lockers. So that means that I can't tie them on. Bummer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220616_215250.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.5 KB ID:	203379
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20220616_215122.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	203380

Comment

Originally posted by 50 wulf View Post

Incidentally, it appears that the lower cushions need to be removed to access the storage lockers. So that means that I can't tie them on. Bummer.
                  I intend to use plastic webbing clips to secure the lower cushion on the wife's 109.

Bob

Comment

They sure look good. Nice work as usual.

Comment

Clean looking truck! Are you running NDT tires all around? I've heard they can be challenging.
                      '73 S3 88"
                      '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Thanks!

I'm not running the NDT's on the Rover. I've read about them and wouldn't want to use them except maybe in the dry, but they are perfect for the military trailers. I have two M416 trailers. One has been converted over to Rover rims, and the other will be when I rebuild it. So basically, I put new NDT's on one trailer and had the other two ready.

My 235/85R16 spare won't fit in the factory tire slot in the bed, so I was like, I'll stick this NDT back there for now. BUT! The 235/85 spare won't fit on the bonnet either because the wolf rim is too deep to mount on the bolts! So then I was like, well, I have this other NDT spare (already on a Rover rim), guess I'll just run it on the bonnet too! Bonus here will be slightly improved visibility over the tire.

Comment

That got complex pretty quick! So many moving parts to that situation.

I think there was a thread last year or two about someone making a tire well for the 109's that fits the modern 235/85 rubber.
                          '73 S3 88"
                          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Yeah, that was me! I have it made, but didn't have it quite finished enough in time for my galvanizing run, so it still sits as a side project. My original tire well was quite rusty, but after re-dipping it, it came out fine, so I ended up refitting it.

Hopefully the NDT tire on the bonnet won't look too out of place. Downside to the NDT look is it is more befitting American military vehicles rather than British.

What tires did the MOD run on their vehicles?

Comment

I made my bonnet tyre mount bolts longer by welding in short shaft sections, to fit a deeper rim/tire combo.
                              gene
                              1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                              rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                              X