Tappet screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet screw

I had one of the tappet screw back out on the way to work. I now noticed a PO never put the retaining wire in. Right now it sounds like it is just making a tapping noise when it warmed up so I don't think there is any catastrophic damage. I want to put a temporary screw in there to get me home. Can I just taper a bolt a little and put it in there or do I have to take more apart to get something lined up? I'm in a parking lot at work hoping to go 20 miles to home tonight. 2.25 petrol engine.
    '64 Series IIA 109

My 9-y.o. sons friend: This is a nice jeep.
    My son: It is NOT a jeep, it is a Land Rover. It is more capable than a jeep.

That bolt locates the valve guide if I remember correctly, it’s been several years since I pulled all that apart. Someone else may chime in, but I don’t think you can just substitute something else if the guide has slipped down with the bolt missing. You’d need to pull it apart.

Hopefully someone else responds.
    - Rover Owner

Comment

If you are dealing with limited resources I would remove the adjacent screw and see if it will screw in where the other fell out. If it does this would indicate that the guide block has not rotated out of alignment and you can grind, file or whatever a bolt to match the profile of the one removed and use it until a replacement arrives. If the borrowed screw does not thread in by hand this would indicate that the tappet block has rotated out of position. In this case I would remove the valve cover and slowly rotate the crank until the valve for the tappet in question is fully closed. If there is no valve clearance then loosen the adjusting screw to take any pressure off of the valve train. Then using a pointy tool you will need to rotate the guide block back into position and then readjust the valve. I have some tappet retaining screws if you need them.

Comment

I will drop off a couple of screws today if you PM your location and contact info. I'll pull them off of a junk block now and will be on standby.

Bob

Comment

Thanks! I will update when I clock out for the day and see what I find.
          '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

The screws are 3/4 inch long, 5/16-24 thread with about a 5/16" threaded section and the smooth section tapering to 3/16" wide at the tip. You'll need a 1/2" wrench or socket for the screw head. They are sealed with a crush washer. I couldn't save any lock wire, sorry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	203324 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0656.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	203325

Three are ready to go. If wanted I can set them on the floor of the 109 so you'll have them available. Just say where.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob! Sent you a PM.
              '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Now that’s service!

Comment

All fixed up! (For now) It had shifted a little bit but with an o-ring pick and the hand crank I was able to get it lined back up following Series guy's instructions. Thanks again for the help!
                  '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

It’s hard to keep a good Rover down.

Comment

"I love it when a plan comes together!"
                      gene
                      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Great job to fab a repair part! I did not supply a screw today for this repair, so I believe a bolt was profiled to replace the missing screw. I'll make sure to follow up with a screw or two that he can lock wire in place.

Bob

Comment

I can guarantee he will appreciate that!
                          '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

Working...
                          X