No announcement yet.

Family's first Rover camping trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, so much for me to consider. I'm running out the door now or I'd ask more questions. So many good ideas you guys are shooting at me.

I can imagine one option being a M416 with a roof top tent attached. Hmm....

Cheers,
    Andy
    ---------------------------------------------------
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

RTTs are trendy but you can get a *lot* more tent for your $ if you just stick to ground tents. RTTs excell at a rather narrow range of circumstances and when the mice or chipmunks inevitably eat it over winter you've lost a lot more $.

-Matt
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Yorker, I have heard that about RTT's. I'm just playing with ideas right now and "running them up the flag pole". RTT's are mighty expensive and limiting to where you can camp and how many can sleep in it. But, there is something appealing about being able to just hook up the camping trailer, with RTT and gear, and roll on out. Mice would kill the tent, for sure.

I think the best path is to reduce what I take camping, limit what goes on the roof to fishing poles and/or kayaks, and use the receiver hitch rack. The best part of that plan is that I don't need to buy anything to make it work.

I did look around for a M416 trailer, and there is one a few towns over, asking $1200. The back of the trailer is open, and someone can chime in to tell me if that is original, desirable, fixable, or whatever. I have enough needs for trailering short distances to get fire wood out of the woods that it might make sense to at least look at it. My 5'x8' landscape trailer is too low and the tires are way too skinny for soft ground and heavy loads.

We also have a larger tent that you can stand up in, which we didn't bring this trip. It's missing a few key pole/connectors, and it is pretty big when packed. It's lighter than the EZ Up that we brought with us on this trip. I could see us using just that one tent, since our other two tents combined have a similar footprint. Anyway, we have tent options, which is good.

A guy I know nearby has a Rover grave yard, so I'm sure he has what it takes to make a Series based trailer. His stuff isn't cheap, though. I think the M416 would be cheaper and quicker, but not as cool. I'm not in a rush for a trailer, so I have time to wait for a good deal.
        '73 S3 88"
        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
          I think the best path is to reduce what I take camping, limit what goes on the roof to fishing poles and/or kayaks, and use the receiver hitch rack. The best part of that plan is that I don't need to buy anything to make it work.

In WWII they had a bustle rack fabbed up for jeeps to hold duffle bags, ammo etc since in a WWII jeep with 4 guys there is NO room in. Your hitch rack does that and with some dry bags you could store a lot of stuff there. It is probably the easiest solution. Maybe bring a smaller cooler.

If you keep going to the expo forum next thing you'll have to have an ARB fridge, Solar cells, more batteries, diff locks....

K. I. S. S.

Maybe Watch some through hiker videos like Darwin on the Trail or something.

I'm half joking but having an ultralight backpacking mentality helps in an 88.

-Matt
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I did look around for a M416 trailer, and there is one a few towns over, asking $1200. The back of the trailer is open, and someone can chime in to tell me if that is original, desirable, fixable, or whatever. I have enough needs for trailering short distances to get fire wood out of the woods that it might make sense to at least look at it. My 5'x8' landscape trailer is too low and the tires are way too skinny for soft ground and heavy loads.

From a collectors point of view cutting the tailgate in is a minus, for practically its an advantage. It is repairable, they sell repair panels, or you could fabricate a tailgate from expanded steel mesh or something. 1200 is expensive but might be the going rate. When I bought mine you bought them stacked 3 or 4 together for $200/ea. I really like them but I also think there are more practical trailers out there.

The previous generations of trailers made by Bantam etc are out there, change up your search terms to look for them too?
            -Matt

Comment

A guy I know nearby has a Rover grave yard, so I'm sure he has what it takes to make a Series based trailer. His stuff isn't cheap, though. I think the M416 would be cheaper and quicker, but not as cool. I'm not in a rush for a trailer, so I have time to wait for a good deal.
              IMHO Homemade Rover trailers only make sense if the parts are cheap, free, or you already have them cluttering your yard. Like the hillbilly truck bed trailers of yore they'll always be a kind of compromise solution. You will end up with a lot of time and effort in fabrication and it will be a heavy, clunky trailer that looks like it was made out of cast off spare parts and the only advantage might be parts commonality.

Not to mention those parts might be better off used elsewhere at this point. Any decent tub should go for a premium.

By the time you are done you'd have been better off to just buy something else.
              -Matt

Comment

If you can wangle the importation I think these ex British Army Penman trailers are really good and address most of the issues people have with the M416. They were also designed to be towed behind a Land Rover.
                New In Stock Penman Military Lightweight GS Cargo Trailers For Sale (pablanchard.co.uk)

I realise its not exactly convenient to pick up but demonstrates that there are modern options out there for not a lot more than you would pay for a good condition M416.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmeanie View Post
                  If you can wangle the importation I think these ex British Army Penman trailers are really good and address most of the issues people have with the M416.
                  "Hydraulic Disc Brakes"

Nice!

-Matt

Comment

Stainless Steel bodies! Those were expensive trailers to make.

They do seem to be a better version of the M416. I hope someone grabs one of those and brings it stateside. I'd love to see one.
                    '73 S3 88"
                    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

A nearly perfect pairing to my eye.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220819_102338383_HDR.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	205064

Comment

Originally posted by greenmeanie View Post
                        If you can wangle the importation I think these ex British Army Penman trailers are really good and address most of the issues people have with the M416. They were also designed to be towed behind a Land Rover.
                        New In Stock Penman Military Lightweight GS Cargo Trailers For Sale (pablanchard.co.uk)

I realise its not exactly convenient to pick up but demonstrates that there are modern options out there for not a lot more than you would pay for a good condition M416.
                        GROUP BUY!
                        gene
                        1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                        rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Paul, love that teardrop trailer!

Gene, how many can we fit in a 20 foot container?
                          '73 S3 88"
                          '87 110 garden shed

Comment

GROUP BUY

I’m in!!

Comment

Wonder if you could RO-RO one of those trailers hitched to someone importing a defender?

I'd be interested in the information on a group buy if that happened.
                              '59 SII 88"

Comment

Working...
                              X