Swivel seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swivel seals

I'm planning to head down to MAR next week so naturally I tore into the rover this week. The swivel seals are bad and I'd like to adjust the preload as the steering seems "easier" than it should. Right now I am working on getting the alternator remounted and replacing some spring bushings. I am running short on time and was wondering if it is a terrible idea to split the seal so to avoid taking the hubs and brakes off and risk messing something up I wont have time to fix?
    '64 Series IIA 109

My 9-y.o. sons friend: This is a nice jeep.
    My son: It is NOT a jeep, it is a Land Rover. It is more capable than a jeep.

It works.. just put the split at the top and I coat the metal edge with RTV…

Comment

When I do this I cut the rubber part of the seal with a razor blade to get a clean cut. Of course this is after removing the gaiter spring. Then you twist the seal to open it up. Like rejeep said just position the splice at the top with some sealer and reinstall the spring. Works very well.

Comment

Thanks for the help. That will save sometime and aggravation. I'm using up my reserves of those items on the bushings.
        '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

What is the best way to cut the outer ring after cutting the rubber with a razor blade?
          '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

I use tin snips but a Dremel with a cutoff wheel would work also.

Comment

Got this job done today. Thanks again for the tips!
              '64 Series IIA 109

Comment

A little late to the party, but for those contemplating this in the future, try to source a super glue-like adhesive specifically designed for O-ring material. The 18 inch diameter O-ring on my new-ish dishwasher failed, and the *only* way to replace it was to buy a whole new pump assembly - for $95. (I didn't want to support such corporate greed....) Found a place in this seaport town that could fabricate o-rings, seals and gaskets in all sorts of materials - even asbestos. They showed me the whole process - but *not* the lable little squeeze container of adhesive. Worked a treat...and in seconds, the join was as strong as the base material. Better living thru chemistry....
                “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

I have made many correct size o-rings out of larger o-rings using a razor blade and standard super glue.

Comment

Working...
                  X