SAS Pink Panther

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAS Pink Panther

Just broke down my 109 project for galvanizing, getting ready for final assembly and PAINT!!!

as this truck is for my wife, but I also like to keep some heritage in my builds, I am looking for an approx Pink Panther color..
    I know there isnt a "code" but is anybody has an idea of an approx color or a sample color or any help in any direction, it would be appreciated.

I suggest reaching out to Dunsfold

Comment

From my reading on this, the red primer and white primer were mixed locally, so no official color. You could always just get a can of this, paint up a swatch and have it matched at your paint shop:

https://paintman.co.uk/product-categ...r-paint-pinks/
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

As stated it was an unofficial mix generally reckoned to be the colour you get from mixing 1 tin red primer with 1 tin white primer and then driven around in the local dust while wet.. If you want to have a reference for ordering paint you will be close with BS381C #454.

Its that or Tamiya paint X17 from making their Pinkie model as a youngster. For authentic use of this colour, however, you have to have wonky part installation with thumbprints in melted plastic parts and crude brush application of paint drying too quickly to flow properly

Comment

Originally posted by SafeAirOne View Post
          From my reading on this, the red primer and white primer were mixed locally, so no official color. You could always just get a can of this, paint up a swatch and have it matched at your paint shop:

https://paintman.co.uk/product-categ...r-paint-pinks/
          they wont ship to the US...

Originally posted by greenmeanie View Post
          As stated it was an unofficial mix generally reckoned to be the colour you get from mixing 1 tin red primer with 1 tin white primer and then driven around in the local dust while wet.. If you want to have a reference for ordering paint you will be close with BS381C #454.

Its that or Tamiya paint X17 from making their Pinkie model as a youngster. For authentic use of this colour, however, you have to have wonky part installation with thumbprints in melted plastic parts and crude brush application of paint drying too quickly to flow properly
          THANK YOU!!!
          options to try....

Comment

There is one in New Jersey to color match.

'59 SII 88"

Comment

The Panther pink isn't very attractive; flat and washed out. Flats never look good and are a bitch to keep clean. I suggest you have your wife choose the shade of pink in a gloss or semi. These days a lot of mil trucks get a special hardcoat which is on the flat side but tough wearing and easy to clean. Huge step forward in military finishes. I wouldn't use orig mil spec paint on anything.

Comment

The current (fact check please) US military paint for vehicles and equipment is CARC paint (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating). It's a waterborne paint that dries flat and hard and when scratched the scratch marks won't turn white-ish like most flat (matte) paints. It's intended to survive any cleaning by the nasty Chemical Agent cleaning stuff after exposure to chemical weapons, so solvents won't touch it once it's cured. Two part paint with a dash of deionized water. We used to mix in walnut shell flour for texture on helmets, and it sprayed out great. Don't try this at home without a supplied-air respirator and a serious spray booth. It's not solvent based, but there are some nasty items in the mix.

There is a place in Rhode Island, or maybe South Eastern MA (if memory serves) that supplied CARC in whatever mil spec color you wanted, and they also custom mixed one color for us.
                ---------------------------------------------------
                '73 S3 88"
                '87 110 garden shed

Comment

The pink used on cars presented to playmates of the year by Playboy might be a good choice. It is not as bright as many other pinks.

Comment

got some rattle cans in.. going to try some test panels this weekend...

Frame and Bits went into galvy this week...

Comment

Originally posted by RustCollector View Post
                      The current (fact check please) US military paint for vehicles and equipment is CARC paint (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating). It's a waterborne paint that dries flat and hard and when scratched the scratch marks won't turn white-ish like most flat (matte) paints. It's intended to survive any cleaning by the nasty Chemical Agent cleaning stuff after exposure to chemical weapons, so solvents won't touch it once it's cured. Two part paint with a dash of deionized water. We used to mix in walnut shell flour for texture on helmets, and it sprayed out great. Don't try this at home without a supplied-air respirator and a serious spray booth. It's not solvent based, but there are some nasty items in the mix.

There is a place in Rhode Island, or maybe South Eastern MA (if memory serves) that supplied CARC in whatever mil spec color you wanted, and they also custom mixed one color for us.
                      IDK how much of a "fact checker" I am, but everything you say here is spot-on as far as I know. I ran a third shift at a paint shop for 2 years around 2008-ish and when I'd arrive for work there'd be a box truck on the loading dock with 10 pallets of metal parts. Our job was to unpack, place on the paint line where they'd run through a wash and dry, then run through the paint booths for a spray of tan primer, then bake, then CARC desert tan, then bake then silkscreen the military designation for each P/N, then packaged, placed back on pallets and rolled into the box truck. 8 of us did this 5 days a week for 2 years and nobody would tell us what the crap was for. Turns out it was the anti-RPG cages they retrofitted onto the thin-skinned hummers and APCs. Very exhausting work, especially around the 300 degree ovens in the summer, but viscerally satisfying.
                      1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Just reach out to Bill Cooper, he owns a pink panther and several other military land rover trucks and speciality rover trucks. Find him on FB, R.O.V.E.R.S. club and so forth.

Comment

Working...
                        X