Shotgun Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun Replacement

In the Southern part of Michigan there has been a law that only shotguns could be used. The rational was too much population, limit the range. A couple years ago the "govment" passed a law that allowed straight walled shells to be used in addition to shotguns.

The 350 Legend and the 450 Legend shells became legal in southern Michigan.

Wanting more reach than my old 870 Express with it's smooth barrel and bead sights could ever provide I decided to upgrade.

It may not be the best available but for a season that lasts about two weeks it fit the application. I should have an upper range of about 200 yards versus about 60 yards.

Happy to be a new convert to a Mossberg Patriot with decent scope.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20231101_224906975.jpg Views:	44 Size:	203.7 KB ID:	217390

I've been planning this for bit, I bought many boxes of ammo in last year when I could find it. Now the ammo has a use.
    Last edited by 64osby; 11-03-2023, 10:07 AM.
    Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

I'll be curious how that works. Good luck!

I have my "sights" (see what I did there?) on one of the Savage Model 220 20-gauge bolt guns. Tack drivers.
    1969 Marine Blue Bugeye

Comment

Game laws can be so weird.

"In June 2014, Michigan's Natural Resource Commission (NRC) changed what was once known as the "Shotgun Zone" into the "Limited Firearms Zone," which allowed rifles chambered for straight-walled rounds .35 caliber or larger, with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches."

" The minimum case length of 1.16 inches is that of the .44 S&W Special, and the maximum case length of 1.80 inches is that of the .460 S&W Magnum.

An example, per the minimum requirements, are rifles chambered for .38 Special/.357 Magnum, where such are legal if loaded with the .357 Magnum (featuring a 1.29 inch case length) but illegal if using the .38 Special (featuring a 1.155 inch case length, which just misses the minimum). The .38 Special, however, is still legal to use in a handgun for deer hunting, as the newer rules only apply to rifles.

Some old rounds certainly qualify, such as the .351 Winchester, which has a straight-wall case length of 1.375 inches (I would love to own a classic Winchester Model 1907 semi-auto in this caliber). The old and venerable .45-70, with its case length of 2.105 inches, does not qualify (although it remains legal for deer hunting in handguns such as the T/C Encore and the BFR revolver).

However, Fury Custom Bullets of Croswell shortens .45-70 brass to 1.80 inches and seats and crimps a long 405 grain bullet in a special manner, so that everything will fit properly in .45-70 rifle chambers. This is very legal, because the law relates to actual case length only."
      https://www.ourmidland.com/sports/ar...photo-14938834
      -Matt
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

That is some of the most convoluted law writing for sure. But of course, we're used to that here in CA.

I have a Winchester 1907 in .351sl. It is a retired law enforcement example with the factory sling swivels and 10 round magazine. It is a hoot to be sure, but just getting brass to reload is a chore. I'm in the process of making a brass catcher modeled after the ones used on the rifles by WW1 pilot/crew. Obviously a very limited few were made, only a couple examples survive. But with new brass going for $7 a piece, I want them back!
        1965 Series IIa

Comment

Ran a box of shells through the Mossberg yesterday getting sighted in. Winchester 150 grain polymer tip.

I was very pleased with how it shot and felt. Recoil was minimal compared to the 870. Set it up to be about 2" high at 100 yards. If what I read is correct it should be 2 to 3" low at 200 yards.

It weighs in at 6.5 pounds, should be easy to carry in the field.

Comment

"They" say this is a good hog gun. Don't see many if any up here. We do have 2 million deer in this state though. I see them every day everywhere.

Comment

Working...
            X