Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are disc brakes worth it?

Afternoon gang,

Now the tranny has been sorted, next stop (pardon the pun) is brakes. My question: Are disc brakes worth it on a Series III? I plan on a brake rebuild for all four wheels and adding a vacuum assist to give Les some more stopping power. Given the expense and work involved, are the disc upgrades really worth it? Les is not a daily driver, doesn't really go off road, so I am wondering is the juice worth the squeeze?

Thoughts?

109 brakes are great for normal driving if kept in good mechanical condition and well adjusted. I still have them on my SIII. That said, drum brakes in general do not tolerate water or mud, are prone to fading on hills and I've found they don't hold well on steep uphills.

I have a four wheel disc brake set (old ROAM/Cooper) that I will be installing on my 109 when I have the opportunity, and the wife's 109 has 4 wheel discs on her RR axles. I prefer disc brakes over drums, and I do tend to drive the Series trucks a lot (when running).

Bob

Comment

Yes, I put the Timm Cooper discs on my 109 on all 4 wheels. I like the stopping power and the lack of having to adjust the shoes. Mine is my only car.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

I have a RRC sitting in the front forty. I have been debating converting these to fit on my S2a. Disc breaks and a higher gear might be nice.

At this point I don't drive it hard enough or fast enough to warrant disc brakes but they would be nice.

As the OP asked is the juice worth the squeeze?
        Phone or Drive, Not Both. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

I have disk brakes on the 109 and drums on the 88.

They (disk) are pretty sweet, but drums work really well set up right.

On an 88” with stock power, they are not worth it…….set the drums up right and roll on.
          - Rover Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
            I have a RRC sitting in the front forty. I have been debating converting these to fit on my S2a. Disc breaks and a higher gear might be nice.

At this point I don't drive it hard enough or fast enough to warrant disc brakes but they would be nice.

As the OP asked is the juice worth the squeeze?
            There is an issue with fitting the RR axle housings to a Series; On the RR the tie rod is behind the axle while on the Series it is in front. That puts the steering arms on the back of the RR swivels.
            gene
            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

"We are prisoners of the Present, forever transitioning between our inaccessible Past and our unknowable Future." Neil DeGrasse-Tyson

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post

There is an issue with fitting the RR axle housings to a Series; On the RR the tie rod is behind the axle while on the Series it is in front. That puts the steering arms on the back of the RR swivels.
              You can work around this problem with spacers and use the military frame horns with extended spring hangars to regain the lost ground clearance. The caster and pinion angle will always be a compromise, adjusted with wedges, but this discussion is for another (and past) thread. Doing the axle conversion just for disc brakes is not worth the trouble based on the options available today. Back when I did it there wasn't much info out there, so it was fun trial and error, and I don't recall any disc brake kits being an option.

Bob

Comment

Cheers gang....I'll think about this....still undecided.

A

Comment

FWIW, I plan on converting to the Forbyn/Cooper/ROAM disc brakes.

The biggest problem I have with drums is that the current parts are literal dog water trash and finding and getting good OEM parts is getting difficult. Good OEM parts and a healthy overall braking system, then yes drum bakes will perform very well.

Plan ahead! I plan on putting a Sniper FI on the motor, going distributor-less with 9:1 head and maybe a cam (I have the rear Forbyn axles and hope he produces the fronts soon). I'll add Trutracs if I decide to do some moderate to easy trail riding. That pretty much covers a majority of the issues I have with my 88 running a stock 2.25 and mostly standard config . So it makes sense for me and how I use my truck to go the disc brake route. Also future proofs my truck. Say Robert Davis comes out with a series 250/292 kit or I decide to go with OM617 Turbo and add an uprated pump - I have a good foundation for those upgrades/power as well.

Comment

Originally posted by EricWS View Post
                    FWIW, I plan on converting to the Forbyn/Cooper/ROAM disc brakes.

The biggest problem I have with drums is that the current parts are literal dog water trash and finding and getting good OEM parts is getting difficult.
                    This was a big consideration for me as well. I have the Zeus front kit on my current 109 and it is great. Rear brakes are stock and ok. The Forbyn stuff is what's going on the 61 I'm working on. It's very high quality, but also high cost.

Comment

Ah, good points by EricW and 50 wulf......I didn't think about the long game of parts. If I do a conversion, the disc parts will be around that much longer. I have to agree, I've had mixed results with some of the aftermarket parts which are not OEM. I'm leaning towards at least front discs at this point.

Comment

Last point to go Forbyn (or Cooper) is that you can run your stock 16" wheels without interference. All the other kits require wolf wheels or similar. I like the Wolf wheels, but I have a ton of stock rims and I want to be able to run them.

Actually, I just want to be able to do this to my old tires:
                        Forward Control Land Rover Burnout (youtube.com)

Comment

Originally posted by irishrgr View Post
                          Ah, good points by EricW and 50 wulf......I didn't think about the long game of parts. If I do a conversion, the disc parts will be around that much longer. I have to agree, I've had mixed results with some of the aftermarket parts which are not OEM. I'm leaning towards at least front discs at this point.
                          It depends what disk brake swap you use. Frankly with the volume of leaf spring trucks out there and how long they used the same brakes availability isn't going to be an issue. Good metal shoes can be relined cheaply, wheel cylinders can be lined and rebuilt. IMHO its money better spent elsewhere.
                          -Matt
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

I have ROAM fronts and Forbyn rears. I would never go back to drums. I no longer have to think about or anticipate stopping. I don't have to get new drums turned because they were egg shaped when when they arrived. I don't have to take an angle grinder or a flat file to new shoes to get them to fit properly and lastly no more screwing around with springs. To me it was some of the better money I spent.
                            Jim
                            64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
                              I have ROAM fronts and Forbyn rears. I would never go back to drums. I no longer have to think about or anticipate stopping. I don't have to get new drums turned because they were egg shaped when when they arrived. I don't have to take an angle grinder or a flat file to new shoes to get them to fit properly and lastly no more screwing around with springs. To me it was some of the better money I spent.
                              Jim
                              Jim did you ever figure out your sticking caliper issues?
                              https://www.gunsandrovers.com/forum/...ar-disc-brakes
                              -Matt
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                              X