Here we go, were on our way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go, were on our way!

I started taking my 88 a part today! Hope to have it the front sheet metal and Bulk head off tomorrow.
    Attached Files
    1963 Series II A 88

Its way way easy. Just make sure to mark everything, bag everything with labels. Takes up time on the dis-assembly but makes life easier putting it back together. Dont be afraid of black or grey permenant markers.

Comment

I will, thank you for the advice! The most Intimidating part of the project will be the engine compartment for sure! I've taken over 100 photos so far, and am documenting everything..

Scotty
      1963 Series II A 88

Comment

Mod. I have posted in the current project forum as well. Sorry if this is not suppose to be here, my Bad! Please remove from this forum if necessary.
        1963 Series II A 88

Comment

I'm sure you will have an enjoyable experience and a killer Rover when you are done.
          Jim
          64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Thank Jim. I am so excited!

Scotty
            1963 Series II A 88

Comment

Originally posted by airbornrover View Post
              Its way way easy. Just make sure to mark everything, bag everything with labels. Takes up time on the dis-assembly but makes life easier putting it back together. Dont be afraid of black or grey permenant markers.
              I can't convey how important this is. A sharpie and a few boxes of ziploc FREEZERbags (not the thin, cheapo bags) are invaluable. This is, essentially, what we used for parts control and accountability when we disassembled aircraft, and it definitely works.

In the Rover world, I've had an engine disassembled into a million pieces in a VERY crowded garage and had no problems reassembling it 2 years later solely because all the parts were bagged and labeled.
              --Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

I did much the same, except used a couple of egg cartons with everything carefully labeled. It didn't help that one of the cartons went AWOL in my very crowded garage in the interim...and only turned up (in the Rover, BTW...) after replacements for the critical fasteners were procured.

Cheers
                “… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

Comment

Thank you guys! I will buy the good bags and Sharpies! I have a great deal of patience and am not in any hurry. I want it to be absolutely perfect when completed. So I will take my time and make sure it's right. Unfortunately the top end of the motor was removed years ago, I think I have what looks like most of the parts and lot of the wiring was butchered. The harness is no big deal because I'm going to replace it. As far as the motor, I'll figure it out. I'm pretty good with motors. I just completed the rebuild for one of my P38's which turned out really well. I have a feeling that the 2.25 is going to be much more difficult to rebuild, at least the top end..

Scotty
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scotty; 10-12-2015, 10:52 AM. Reason: oops
                  1963 Series II A 88

Comment

The other thing that I would recommend that you strongly consider is using genuine parts for the engine and transmission/transfer case at least. Quite a few of the aftermarket parts are junk and you only want to do this once. The more genuine parts you use I believe the happier you will be.
                    Jim
                    64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

I can't convey how important this is. A sharpie and a few boxes of ziploc FREEZERbags (not the thin, cheapo bags) are invaluable.
                      I thought I was being organized but it seemed like half my project was spent searching the shop for bits and bolts that I had misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D View Post
                        I thought I was being organized but it seemed like half my project was spent searching the shop for bits and bolts that I had misplaced.

Exactly. Well-marked bagges of parts will allow you to spend all that lost time looking for misplaced tools instead.
                        --Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

Today's work, were getting there.
                          Attached Files
                          1963 Series II A 88

Comment

You are gonna like putting it back together. Everything is clean!
                            gene
                            1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                            rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Thats the fun parts right!
                              1963 Series II A 88

Comment

Working...
                              X