4WD selector pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD selector pin

Could someone please tell me if this is correct...
    I'm working on getting this rover back on the road the Transmission cover is out so there is no spring tension on the 4wd lever
    AFAIK or can remember the yellow knob pushes down to engage 4wd the L shaped selector pin raises up...Pull back on the red knob into LOW Range and the pin stays up..
    how does that selector pin go back into the down position??
    I can feel 4 positions on the red knob
    When I push on the pin itself it goes fully back down with a little wiggling of the red knob at the second detent from the bulkhead..
    all this sound normal?
    the GB says put the trans in 4wd Low range and that pin should go back down
    I hope I haven't confused anyone with this
    Steve

1964 Series IIa In progress
    1968 S IIa (Sold)
    1972 S III (Sold)
    1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)
    1985 J**p CJ-7 (For Sale)

The pin is moved by the spring under the yellow knob on the linkage. When you have the floors out testing things you must insert the pin manually.

Comment

Yes that's what I have done moved it manually

Is the operation I have described above correct ? when in 4wd Low is that pin supposed to go FULLY down against the case like the GB says ??
      Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
      1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BKP17 View Post
        Yes that's what I have done moved it manually

Is the operation I have described above correct ? when in 4wd Low is that pin supposed to go FULLY down against the case like the GB says ??
        Yes, this is correct. The pin should drop back down into the pivot mechanism when the red lever is pulled all the way back to the 4WD low position:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 regular w/2.5NA Diesel

Comment

As I put pressure on the pin it will not move downwards when I shift into 4wd Low. The only time it will move down is when The red lever is pushed forward near the bulkhead..
          Any idea what's wrong or how to fix this?
          Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
          1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Sometimes you need to rotate/wiggle the front output on the transfer case to help align things. There's a lot of slop in the gearbox and it's hard to test the 4wd mechanism while your truck is sitting. Have you had the gearbox apart? Did 4wd not work on this truck?

Matt

Comment

gearbox has not been apart and 4wd used to work so perhaps once I get things running and driving again this condition will hopefully resolve itself...
              I have to finish this project but I am running out of steam
              Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
              1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Take the dust caps off the front of the transfer case and make sure the selector shafts are moving freely and correctly. If they are binding up, the swivel mechanism won't move/align properly with the 4wd pin.

THEORY OF OPERATION:

The purpose of the 4wd pin that the yellow lever actuates is to fix the position of the swivel mechanism. When you first press down the yellow knob, the pin withdraws from the swivel mechanism, allowing the entire mechanism to move forward under spring pressure, engaging the 4wd dog, sending power to the front driveshaft.

Pulling the red lever all the way back engages the low gear ratio at the same time it pulls the swivel mechanism back so that the hole in the swivel mechanism is positioned under the 4wd pin, which, due to the spring pressure of the yellow knob, re-inserts itself into the swivel mechanism, fixing its position once again.

When the red lever is pushed forward, the swivel mechanism now stays in place because the 4wd pin is holding it, causing the selectors to pivot about the swivel mechanism, shifting back into high gear while simultaneously disengaging the front drive shaft.

These 3 actions are depicted in the video I linked to. Now that I'm familiar with SolidWorks, I ought to remake that animation using Solidwork's superior modeling capabilities (over the Google SketchUp I originally used).
                --Mark

Comment

I will get the dust caps off tomorrow and have a look..
                  The pin will only drop down when the red lever is nearly all the way forward when that happens the red lever becomes locked and will not move at all.
                  I have also noticed with the pin in its up position which should indicate it is in 4wd the front output hub turns freely and that is not right..
                  In fact the front hub always turns freely no matter 4wd hi or low range. main trans in neutral or in any gear makes no difference..

I have never had the transfer box out or apart....
                  Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
                  1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

It sounds as if one of the selector shafts is bound up (or, less likely, one of the springs is broken). It'll be easy to tell once you get the dust caps off.
                    --Mark

Comment

X2 on stuck shaft!

block of wood, PB buster, & LR tool #1 should do the trick

Comment

Just to be clear the red lever moves freely no binding no issues....its only when I put downward pressure on the the pin the pin will not drop down anywhere but in the almost hi range position that's when the red lever becomes locked and will no longer move.
                        Something is not right in there
                        Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
                        1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by BKP17 View Post
                          Just to be clear the red lever moves freely no binding no issues....its only when I put downward pressure on the the pin the pin will not drop down anywhere but in the almost hi range position that's when the red lever becomes locked and will no longer move.
                          Something is not right in there

Yeah--the OTHER selector shaft is stuck.
                          --Mark

Comment

That makes sense Iwill have a look tomorrow and report back
                            Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
                            1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Dust cap was removed this morning There was some residual rust in the top tube...When I moved the red lever only one of the newly exposed shafts moved the top one does not move at all...The lever does move freely and NO binding is felt

I have zero experience inside the transfer box but looking at the GB it does not appear to be that complicated I am just afraid of opening it up and being unable to get it back together correctly..

Both propshafts are out of the rover

is it possible to remove just the transfer box without removing anything else ?

Will this be a relatively easy thing to remove and replace?

I would appreciate further guidance
                              Steve

1968 S IIa (Sold)
                              1972 S III (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X