Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disc Brake Conversion Kit - Forbyn/Roam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED: Disc Brake Conversion Kit - Forbyn/Roam?

Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade the front brakes on my SII 109" PU. New or Used, doesn't really matter to me. Would prefer Forbyn/Roam, but willing to consider other manufacturers or even one ton drums.

Thanks,
    Braden

Forbyn is still in business; http://www.forbynbros.com/
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by loose gravel View Post
      Forbyn is still in business; http://www.forbynbros.com/
      Yep. Figured I'd see if anyone had a set floating around, first. When I said "New or Used, doesn't really matter to me," that was only partially true. I would prefer used, as a college student on a budget.

- Braden

Comment

https://www.designdevelopmenteng.co....Kit-p265217399

Comment

I have experience with both Torell and Forbyn

if you are looking to be economical Torell is the way to go..
          very complete and wont kill the bank, you can keep your old backing plates complete as a spare or sell to recoup some of the cost..

I run this kit on my 109 with stock power and have zero issues..
          only annoying thing is the rotor needs to be machined (not off the shelf) but Rocky Mountain has these in stock ready to ship

Comment

This kit looks great, just wish it could be used with stock series steel wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by rejeep View Post
              I have experience with both Torell and Forbyn

if you are looking to be economical Torell is the way to go..
              very complete and wont kill the bank, you can keep your old backing plates complete as a spare or sell to recoup some of the cost..

I run this kit on my 109 with stock power and have zero issues..
              only annoying thing is the rotor needs to be machined (not off the shelf) but Rocky Mountain has these in stock ready to ship
              These appear to be a pretty good deal. Almost like the idea of staying rover, but there's something to be said about the ease of sourcing GM parts.

Comment

If you're looking for economical, just fix your existing brakes. 109 brakes are a pain to get bled properly, however they work great once dialed. Otherwise the Forbyn kit is great and the support they offer is excellent as well.

Having been in your place when I was younger; I'd highly recommend suffering through getting your existing brakes working. Try removing the backing plates to let gravity better assist your bleeding experience.

If you'd like a good used takeoff assembly of stock 109 brakes, I'd be happy to sell you a front pair, or 4 wheel set for pretty cheap. Let me know.

Comment

A couple of us in the Atlanta area just installed Heystee kits. Nice as they use Defender components for calipers and discs.

Comment

I've had good luck using the Motive systems pressure bleeder on most stuff, and their gear oil filler works a treat, had to have a friend manually pump the brakes to get full pressure through a completely fresh system though. But the 109 brakes on my 88 are more than sufficient for even the trail and off road work I do. Just finished 500mi of STEEP fire roads through Eastern Washington a couple weeks ago with no problems at all.
                    1960 SII 88" Soft Top, 2.25L, not particularly original with period upgrades.

Comment

I’ve got a Forbyn front kit on the way - will post up how the install goes.

Comment

I used the Zeus system on my iia109. Simple to install. Nice kit.

Comment

Working...
                        X