Nevada Outback 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nevada Outback 1

So this is not an Event, but a planned trip I want to take. I've been on some of it before(Peavine Canyon, NF451) and I would like to see the mill in the Quinns and the nuclear test sites.

I don't know if this link will work, it is Map my ride; https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/4688943775 It has the best info such as distance and elevation and turn instructions. I am also attaching GPX and KLM info. For me starting in Calif I make my way to Mono Lake and the route starts on the East side of it. Heads up Huntoon Valley to Bass Camp where pioneer/gold hunters built a home under a rock. There is some quake activity around here. the route then takes a slow offroad meander to Tonopah where all the amenities are available. A short cruise to the abandoned Warm Springs for a soak before going on the Extraterrestrial Highway and over to an abandoned mill in the Quinn Range.
    After ca camp out there I want to head north to the Lunar Craters area and on to the first atom bomb test site. From there I could get back on the Highway and go over to Peavine Canyon, but what is the fun in that? I can climb some hills and go through the old mining town of Manhattan! I saw there is a good campsite at the mouth of Tom's Canyon last time I was there. That would give me time to explore Tom's.
    If you go note that for me NF451 does not connect(or it didn't in 2019) due to erosion, right above Cottonwood Creek, which is a shame it is beautiful and a great drive, which is why I put both ends on the route. Last time I was there I thought I was in Secret Basin(I wasn't) so I included it for my next time.
    For me the way out heads West and so the route goes to Mina where I have to hit up Sorrocco's Burger Hut I hear it's really good.

Apparently I am not allowed to upload KLM or GPX files, pm me if you want them or maybe you can get them from Mapmyride.com

Hey someone let me know if the first link works, please.
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Looks fun Gene, it worked. How long are you going for?
    1960 SII

Happiness is me out camping. @getlostcamping

Comment

Drew I was thinking I'd need to camp At Mono Lake, then would want to spend a night at Bass Camp. That would be a short day . but the view looks terrific! Wonderhussy has a video from there. From there probably camp somewhere before Tonopah above Hwy 6 as I don't know how the roads will be. After Tonopah I think the dead end canyon in the Quinn's is doable in a day so a night there. Again depending on roads somewhere up Hot Creek before Manhattan. Once through there probably spend a couple nights in Peavine at Tom's Canyon, there is a horse camp there. Since I am so close I'd like to go to Cottonwood Canyon and camp there and see Secret Basin. I camped there in 2019 ; https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2019/...019-day-5.html I didn't get to the cottonwoods then as I thought the road disappeared, and I thought I was in Secret Basin at the time.
      After that it's on the way home, so camp close to the CalNeva border and see which pass is open to go over. Sonora Pass is the most direct, it is already closed due to last weeks storm.
      When will I go? I dunno some unexpected expenses came up and since covid I have no need to be alone, been doing that seems like forever.

Long answer to your question, it looks like the better part of a fortnite, home to home. You know how those desert roads can be, 20mph can be too fast! Especially when you do not know them.
      gene
      1960 109 w/ 200TDI
      rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Working...
      X