Flywheel fixings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel fixings question

My 5 main bearing engine's flywheel takes M8 x 1.25 bolts to hold on the clutch pressure plate. I got this engine with just 3 bolts holding the pressure plate to the flywheel, and there are no washers in there. I need to buy bolts but how about washers?

Do I need washers? I would get high grade 8.8 metric flat washers if needed.

The manuals don't show washers with the bolts. I'm used to having washers in something like this, but I don't know if that's the right answer. I will Loctite the bolts regardless.

Kindly share your wisdom.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

I guess another option would be flange head bolts, to eliminate a washer. Opinions appreciated.
    '73 S3 88"
    '87 110 garden shed

Comment

A lock washer wouldn’t be out of place here. I would use grade 5 bolts. Grade 8 are better for their increased clamping force but often not as good in shear force applications. Oops you have metric bolts so use the metric equivalents. I’m thinking the metric 8.8 is roughly equivalent to the US grade 5.

Comment

So you'd use a lock washer with our without Loctite? I am ready to order metric grade 8.8, which should be fine for a clutch housing, for the reasons you mentioned.

How about a flat washer?
        '73 S3 88"
        '87 110 garden shed

Comment

My parts catalogue calls for part #265260, locking tab for set bolt. Apparently superceded to this; https://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/54...series-2a.html
          gene
          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

I’ve never had a pressure plate come loose. Lock washer or loctite.......pick one. I think both are a bit overkill.

Comment

Mark, I see your point. I'll skip washers and use Loctite, because I already have it.

Gene, thanks for the parts numbers and insight. I think Loctite will do what the locking tabs used to.
              '73 S3 88"
              '87 110 garden shed

Comment

Working...
              X