Second fuel tank plumbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second fuel tank plumbing?

Looking to add a second tank under the drivers seat (lhd). Added range and eliminate the Jerry can on the back.

I did a search and found one thread here from the past. Other sites also offer a few ideas.

Would really like to have (keep) a single fill as it stands at present.

My first thought was to plumb the two tanks together, T the drains together, tie the vents together. This would be simple but would create issues. If one tank has an issue they both have it. Lines below the tank would be problematic or unsafe.

Adding a valve is not a big issue. Adding a switch to read the second tank is not a big issue.

Finding a method to fill the lh tank without adding a second fill is the issue.

I did see a valve that could potentially direct fuel to seperate tanks. I also searched up electric pumps that could move fuel from one tank to the other.

Any ideas or input from the wise one's here?
    Common sense is no longer common.

Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Hello from Brisbane.

The earlier Australian Army S2A 88” trucks had twin fuel tanks - as did all the later ones - but rather than fit a second filler in the LHS rear panel they used a tank top filler like the S1’s. Access to fill the auxiliary tank was via the toolbox lid under the left hand squab.

That’s an option.

The later S2A and S3 trucks had the filler built into the left hand rear panel requiring the various cutouts etc that you are probably trying to avoid.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Why not go military style and pull the seat bottom out to refill?

Comment

Agree with Neil. Just do it like the factory did, with all the factory parts. Underseat fill fuel tank (I just sold a few btw), with the elegant factory "fuel tap" (fuel valve with integrated sender electrical switch).

Here's a convenient pic from NicksLandRover

https://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/fuel-taps/

Comment

I have dual tanks in my '88. Without question If I did it again I would go with the military underseat fill.. That would have saved me a lot of stress cutting the tub, and when you refill the second tank you wouldn't have to turn the truck around to fill it. Then do as Bud suggested with the dual fuel tap it'll be much easier

Steve

1964 Series IIa In progress
          1968 S IIa (Sold)
          1972 S III (Sold)
          1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)
          1985 J**p CJ-7 (For Sale)

Comment

Great info from the wise one's. Thanks to all.

Does the military tank mount on on a standard bracket with the same spacing?

Just ordered a LH front bracket and plan on welding it on asap. Then the internal and external frame paint will begin.

Comment

Hello again. The military tanks are just the same as the others but with a different filler arrangement - I believe Rovers North sells them.

https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...ilitary_petrol

The lightweight taps are a bit harder to get as a complete unit with switches - here is a parts diagram of the complete setup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fuel_tap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	194630

For my own truck I'm going with the second external filler - but that's not a technical decision. Using the military tank would be much easier.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

The wife's 109 uses the underseat military filler on the left side tank. We just lead the fuel filler hose in from the open right side door and fill the left tank while standing outside the left door. The right front tank uses the standard outside fill and the rear station wagon type tank uses a Series fill neck in a Jeep Wrangler filler opening. We generally use the left tank as a reserve.

When we had only two tanks we used a brass marine type tank selector for the fuel supply since each tank had its own fuel gauge.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post
                  Great info from the wise one's. Thanks to all.

Does the military tank mount on on a standard bracket with the same spacing?

Just ordered a LH front bracket and plan on welding it on asap. Then the internal and external frame paint will begin.
                  They do but I wouldn't weld anything until you have the tank in hand.
                  -Matt
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Probably sound advice Yorker, that will be ignored.

Will use our existing tank for fitment of the bracket and hope when we get the aux tank it fits.

Would like to seal the internal frame and get a good coat on the exterior before everything starts going back on. Adding the bracket after would effect the internal paint/ sealant.

Comment

I wonder if the fitment will be the exact same on the other side as the brackets will be a little different?
                      Sean
                      Denver, CO
                      1971 Series IIA Dormobile (The Original RTT)

Comment

Ike has the aux tanks in stainless and he also has the bracket for the frame. If you have never seen one of his tanks they are a work of art. Buy the aux tank cap too as the tank doe not come with a cap.

Comment

Whoa, it's working! A 109 will fit a standard tank and new filler easily. The issue is with a standard tank the fill at the back of the tank and it fits in front of the seat bulkhead, whereas the 88 fill is behind the seat bulkhead. This requires more cutting and fabbing + a hose cover. All that work makes putting in a MOD underseat fill a good option, depending on type of seats installed.
                          As for the tank switch I went with electric, simple and quick.
                          https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2015/...fuel-tank.html
                          https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2015/...l-install.html
                          https://poppageno.blogspot.com/2015/...and-rover.html
                          gene
                          1960 109 w/ 200TDI
                          rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by dporter110 View Post
                            Ike has the aux tanks in stainless and he also has the bracket for the frame. If you have never seen one of his tanks they are a work of art. Buy the aux tank cap too as the tank doe not come with a cap.
                            Being a n f g here I have to ask; Who is Ike and what company? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 64osby View Post

Being a n f g here I have to ask; Who is Ike and what company? Thanks
                              Pangolin 4x4 https://pangolin4x4.com/home

I'm more of a pedal through the floor kind of guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X