Catflap bracket install w/ headliner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catflap bracket install w/ headliner.

My new roof has a nice homemade headliner with a backing that takes up 1/2" of depth whereby the catflap bracket doesn't fit.

I'm afraid the likely answer is obvious...but before I take a boxcutter to the headliner (really rather not!), has anyone worked around something similar?
    Attached Files

That is a tough one! In order to get the "factory fit" you have to modify the liner. IIRC the factory liner sat much closer to the upper roof skin. Maybe someone has a picture?
    gene
    1960 109 w/ 200TDI
    rebuild blog; http://poppageno.blogspot.com/

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Yes, and my understanding is the factory headliner ends at the roof and doesn't come down the sides.

I was all excited to get the catflap on today. Alas...

Comment

The headliner does come down the sides, except where the alpine lites are. Along the back there is a piece that fit there too. I have those bits.
        gene
        1960 109 w/ 200TDI

You don't see faith healers working in hospitals for the same reason you don't see psychics winning the lottery.

Comment

Modify the liner or modify the bracket. Or build some sort of new bracket to avoid modifying both.
          Station wagon doors are pretty cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by I Leak Oil View Post
            Modify the liner or modify the bracket. Or build some sort of new bracket to avoid modifying both.
            Station wagon doors are pretty cool too.
            The wagon door is going back on while I think about it. I like the catflap because of its versatility of use while camping and on longer trips.

Comment

Originally posted by worldofinflation View Post

The wagon door is going back on while I think about it. I like the catflap because of its versatility of use while camping and on longer trips.
              If you are under 5'9" the catflap is fine, at 5'10" I kept hitting the inside handle with my head and once a guy 6'3" ran his head into the corner, just missed his eye. Also be careful when lowering the catflap in the rain........I've stayed with the door even though the tailgate was really handy.
              gene
              1960 109 w/ 200TDI

Comment

Hello from Brisbane.

For the best of both worlds there’s a fellow in the UK who makes a modified tailgate hinge that works both ways - can be lowered or swung sideways.

I have the details somewhere. Trades as Purely Metal Coy.

Cheers,

Neil
                Last edited by S3ute; 09-13-2021, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Cool for the tailgate but I think this is for the upper hatch.
                  However, if you can find info on it please pass it along.

Comment

Originally posted by I Leak Oil View Post
                    Cool for the tailgate but I think this is for the upper hatch.
                    However, if you can find info on it please pass it along.
                    Yes I realised that the interest was in the upper cat flap but figured that a good bit of the convenience of a wagon door was not having to lean or reach across the bottom panel.

Info on the two way adaptor is here:

http://www.purelymetal.co.uk/products/

Cheers,

Neil
                    Last edited by S3ute; 09-13-2021, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have the hinges from Purely Metal and they are really nice. He also builds a hood stick set that looks super nice as well.
                      Jim
                      64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
                        I have the hinges from Purely Metal and they are really nice. He also builds a hood stick set that looks super nice as well.
                        Jim
                        Hello again.

That’s interesting - glad to hear that you are pleased with them.

I was in contact with the company a couple of years back with an aim of getting a set for my 88”. Didn’t proceed at the time because the shipping made them expensive and I had higher priorities. Had been recently thinking of reactivating that interest.

One small issue for fitting the two way to an Australian assembled truck is the location of the number plate assembly on the tailgate. The lamp wiring usually comes up from under the rear crossmember and then follows the central rib to the plate lamp. That would have to be routed from the lower right side to get the two way articulation and would likely foul the bottom seal or have to be manually shoved back into place after the tailgate has been opened and closed.

I’ll give it some more thought.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

What about installing a small disconnect in the wiring which would allow you to unplug the harness when you want to swing the tailgate?
                          Jim
                          64 88 2.5 NAD 2a What would I do with all my spare time if I didn't own a Rover?

Comment

Originally posted by Forester View Post
                            What about installing a small disconnect in the wiring which would allow you to unplug the harness when you want to swing the tailgate?
                            Jim
                            Hello again.

Yes, I thought about that at the time - it would work but could be a bit fiddly to organise each time that you open the gate. If there was enough clearance along the tailgate base to run a cable without interfering with the dust seal I’d probably go that route.

One issue with a ute cab - my configuration - is that you don’t generally use the tailgate as much as you do with a hardtop or soft top. The adaptor hinges are pretty expensive once you factor in the shipping charges which was one of the reasons I put them on the back burner.

Cheers,

Neil

Comment

Will there be a cable or strap to the tailgate. If yes, might bring the cable on the inside of the box and up to the cable / strap. Attached to the cable / strap then to the light. The wire would be permanent and not interfere with the gate operation.
                              Common sense is no longer common.

Put your phone down and drive. Stop driving distracted.

Comment

Working...
                              X